Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Patsydust
Mousketeer

Talking Your Favorite Tip!

So my family and I are in the process of planning a new WDW/DCL trip! I'm so ecstatic! Unfortunately I think I'm the most enthused at home...so I'm putting all my love and excitement into DISboards! Woo-hoo!

Anywhoo, it's been quite a while since I've been on my last DCL and I feel a little lost. So I was wondering what was everyone's favorite thing to do on the DCL and if they could only give ONE tip (the very most important tip) to a fellow cruiser what would it be?

Thanks everyone!

Feeling the Disney homesickness!
-Patsy
Patsydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Save money for booking your next cruise onboard.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
emmedancer
DIS Veteran

My favorite is to bring a plain pillowcase or picture frame and a pack of sharpies. You can drop these off at the front desk as soon as you get onboard the ship and choose whether you want the princesses or characters to sign them. It will be delivered to your room on the last night of your cruise.
emmedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsydust View Post
So my family and I are in the process of planning a new WDW/DCL trip! I'm so ecstatic! Unfortunately I think I'm the most enthused at home...so I'm putting all my love and excitement into DISboards! Woo-hoo!

Anywhoo, it's been quite a while since I've been on my last DCL and I feel a little lost. So I was wondering what was everyone's favorite thing to do on the DCL and if they could only give ONE tip (the very most important tip) to a fellow cruiser what would it be?

Thanks everyone!

-Patsy
This thread will be very helpful:

DISNEY CRUISE SECRETS

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks everyone!

-Patsy
My number 1 tip for anyone cruising - Don't try to do everything, you can't.

Just enjoy what you can do and save the rest for next time. Plus it's kinda fun to watch all the people who think they can do everything running around trying to so.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Patsydust
Mousketeer

Thanks everyone for some great tips!!! Really appreciate it!

Special thanks to Mmouse37/Mj! The link to the cruise secrets is fantastic! So much I didn't know! <3

Wishing Disney happiness to all!

-Patsy
Patsydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
rwhistler92
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmedancer View Post
My favorite is to bring a plain pillowcase or picture frame and a pack of sharpies. You can drop these off at the front desk as soon as you get onboard the ship and choose whether you want the princesses or characters to sign them. It will be delivered to your room on the last night of your cruise.
This is a great idea! I hate getting autographs in line.
Any other information on this? Is it offered on all the ships?
Thanks
rwhistler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
castlegazer
Soccer Mom - no really, I am a Mom and I play soccer
Tries to be naughty, but always fails
Thinks Buzz (or Woody?) is sexy.
Official Tag Fairy Translator

I do too, but you may find you do stand in line for them and pictures.

This is an awesome thread for you guys:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1380936

07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608

castlegazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Nini05
Earning My Ears

Tip

Dont stress out and overplan activities. Literally tons of things to do.
Nini05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
debsters41
DIS Veteran

I agree with all of the tips here! One more that I learned with experience... don't be afraid to ask for help. Example: If you need to be done with dinner quickly because of children or for whatever reason, ask your servers... It may not be at all difficult. Another: I asked at guest services if there was a scale to weigh my luggage because I was doing onboard check in (another fabulous tip... do it if you can!) and they came and weighed my luggage for me! It was such a relief!

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Bring your own insulated tumbler to fill at the beverage station. The cups the ship supplies are very small. I love bringing my 24 oz Tervis along....I still have something left to drink by the time I get back to the cabin!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Diz View Post
Bring your own insulated tumbler to fill at the beverage station. The cups the ship supplies are very small. I love bringing my 24 oz Tervis along....I still have something left to drink by the time I get back to the cabin!
I do the same thing! But DCL requests you use their cups to fill your personal cups (it's a sanitation thing). Not a big deal and I always try to remember this "rule".

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic
December 2014 - New Year's Eve - Bahamas - Disney Wonder

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks everyone!

-Patsy
Enjoy what you can, you cannot possibly do everything. If you love the cruise that much you'll look forward to the next one when you can do something different.

Also, you don't have to spend money to have fun. There are many ways Disney would like to have your money, and a lot of it (pictures, excursions, spa, CC cabanas, Remy, alcohol), but you can have a spectacular cruise without any of those! Pick and choose what you want to splurge on, and enjoy.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
byejou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTerp View Post
I do the same thing! But DCL requests you use their cups to fill your personal cups (it's a sanitation thing). Not a big deal and I always try to remember this "rule".

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I have always found this funny. I appreciate sanitation and their efforts to keep everyone safe. So why did we always get refillable cups in our Castaway Club Bags??? Defeats the purpose, right?

Anyway, I also pack refillable cups and a small travel dish soap (or nicely borrow the one from my studio in WDW) to rinse them with at night.

DL 88 CBR 96 CSR 98 BWV 05 Wonder 07 WDW/SW 07 Wonder 08 CR/Wonder 09
BCV/Dream 11 FW/AKV 12 : FW 12 Dream/OKW/VB 13 SSR 14 OKW/WLV 14 FW 15 Fantasy 15
byejou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

My One Big Tip is ...

Don't Stress Over EVERY Little Detail.

This includes: don't make a "checklist of the magic" - it's not a scavenger hunt. It finds you in the little unexpected moments of joy. Getting / Finding / Having The "Best Of the Best" does not a perfect vacation make. Relax, make new friends (tablemates) and Slow Down and Enjoy the moment(s).
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: