Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

What does it take to ride the DCL bus?

I'm looking at a second cruise out of port canaveral. We live in orlando so not flying in. My family REALLY wants to ride the dcl bus lol. What do I need to do to make that happen? Do we have to stay at a resort?
Old 08-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

I suppose you could get it from the airport...I'm flying in the night before and taking the bus from the airport.

But I'm not sure about going back as I was specifically asked for flight information. (Apparently with the Hyatt and so forth it's not uncommon for people to fly in the night before but not stay on property but still take the bus in the morning, so that wasn't as important.)
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I'm looking at a second cruise out of port canaveral. We live in orlando so not flying in. My family REALLY wants to ride the dcl bus lol. What do I need to do to make that happen? Do we have to stay at a resort?
AFAIK, you just add DCL transfers to your reservation. Tell them you will be taking the transportation from MCO. You will check in for the bus at the DCL transport desk and hand over your bags there.

One question, will you be leaving your car at the airport then? And taking the DCL transfers back there?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

You do realize the DCL transfer bus is not free like Magical Express? The transfers are $35. per person each way. I'd rather spend the $$$ on a shore excursion or souvenirs.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Yes I'm aware. Either way I'm paying for parking so I don't care lol. I may have to look at MCOs fees. If its really high, then maybe I should just get a resort for a bit. Do you need to stay before and after to get to and from?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

I'd use offsite parking. We like FastPark & Relax. It's about $7 per day for covered, secured parking instead of the $17 at the airport.

It is definitely adding an unnecessary step to take the DCL bus but if it "makes it" for your family... the cost is $35pp.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Just Money - I think it is $35 per person each way. Add the transfers to your ressie, Go to the airport and give them your luggage, and hop on board. But now you might be having to pay to park at the airport too (kind of like the rest of us that fly cross country to sail DCL).

Well I assume that you have to have a reservation for the ship that sets sail that day Maybe you don't, you could get both videos in the same day Bus over in the morning and be on the return bus ... you could park in short term parking at the airport that way

Last edited by jrabbit; 08-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

You don't need to have plane tickets at all. If you get a silly CM they might think you do, so just tell them you don't have it arranged yet. Just take the bus from MCO, then back. We went back to the airport on the bus without air booked; got off the bus, got our stuff from underneath, walked to the rental car area and got in "our" car and went to Universal. Absolutely no problem whatsoever.

And coming up soon we'll be going from the airport. This is a total surprise for DS (which is a surprise for me, as I don't generally appreciate surprises but I think he'll like this one) and it's just the two of us right now so I can't arrange it, but I don't anticipate there being problems.

It's an expensive way to get there, and if the kids are of an age where talking about the cost will be educational you might want to bring it up that this might not be the way to go for EVERY cruise, but it is a fun way to go.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Steve Dexter
Would rather be at Satellite Falls

We love the DCL bus! I really feel like the cruise has started when we get on the bus. Would never do it any other way.
Steve Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

How much was it to park your car?

I know my family (okay me too) will love it so we have to do it just once. I'm tired of seeing the DCL bus everywhere time I look around (I swear they are stalking me). So gotta get on it at least one time. Can't do it for our first cruise because it's out of Miami. Boo!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
martinm
Grumpy Old Man

What I learned my last cruise is you should have arrangements. I got off the plane without pre arranged transportation and it cost 120 bucks to get to my hotel.

I have been to lots of airports and never had such a hard time getting a rider as I did in Orlando. The first person I talked to was a shuttle bus operator. She was flat rude so I wasn't paying her.
I went to the cab stand and took a taxi... Wow that was an expensive ride. Never again will I arrive in FL without surface transport arranged in advance.

I coulda got a limo for cryin out loud.
martinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm on my phone and can't check but the airport's website probably has that info.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:

I know my family (okay me too) will love it so we have to do it just once. I'm tired of seeing the DCL bus everywhere time I look around (I swear they are stalking me). So gotta get on it at least one time. Can't do it for our first cruise because it's out of Miami. Boo!
http://www.orlandoairports.net/ops/parking.htm

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: