Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Question Question about Embarkation Photo

Hello All!

I have read different reports about bypassing the family embarkation photo when first boarding.

Can this be done just as a matter of course (i.e., DCL is fine with it; no one getting pictures feels cheated, etc.)? I read in some threads that you cannot, b/c they want the face recognition activated for Shutters. I have also read a recent trip report that states they take your picture at check in for the face recognition software (that has been my experience).

After many wonderful DCL cruises, I do not wish to get the embarkation photo on my upcoming short cruise and would prefer to move along towards boarding. Is there a line for this or does DCL direct passengers to not bypass the picture?

Thanks for any info!

{Hoping this simple question doesn't nonetheless get twisted into a heated "line cutting" "rule following/breaking", "patience vs inpatience" debate as we DISsers seem so inclined to do lately!{
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

I don't know if you can bypass it or not (only been on one), but just because a picture is taken doesn't mean you have to buy it. We didn't but lots of pictures they took - including the embarkation one.
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohJen View Post
Hello All!

I have read different reports about bypassing the family embarkation photo when first boarding.

Can this be done just as a matter of course (i.e., DCL is fine with it; no one getting pictures feels cheated, etc.)? I read in some threads that you cannot, b/c they want the face recognition activated for Shutters. I have also read a recent trip report that states they take your picture at check in for the face recognition software (that has been my experience).

After many wonderful DCL cruises, I do not wish to get the embarkation photo on my upcoming short cruise and would prefer to move along towards boarding. Is there a line for this or does DCL direct passengers to not bypass the picture?

Thanks for any info!

{Hoping this simple question doesn't nonetheless get twisted into a heated "line cutting" "rule following/breaking", "patience vs inpatience" debate as we DISsers seem so inclined to do lately!{
Yes, you can bypass the embarkation photo. It's just a photo location, like the others onboard. I think the photos used for the facial recognition are the ones they take for the KTTW card. But I could be wrong.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
tajz90
Mama D

We walk straight through. Sometimes someone will ask if we want a photo. When they do, we just politely say no and keep on moving!
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Hello All!

Thanks for any info!

yes, you can by-pass the pictures. however, the new ships have recognition software. They place the pictures in a binder for you to review. You do not have to search all over Shutters to find your pictures. On the new ship it is best to get you picture taken when boarding. Then they can link you KTTW with your face. After that if they shoot random pictures on board they do not need the KTTW and will get the pictures to you.

On the classic ships, they just through the pictures up for you to sort through so the embaration picture isn't that important.

just what I have heard and witnessed when on board.

2014 - 3 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 1-Fantasy
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-6, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-3
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 8, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(22) 7 Night Southern Caribbean - Magic 2014
(23) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Yes, you can bypass the photo station. Just inform the CM that is getting everyone in line for the next group that you do not wish to have the photo taken.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
kiford
Mouseketeer

We often skip the embarkation photo and even when we have had it taken, it doesn't seem to make the photo recognition any better so I suspect that is not a factor.

As others have stated, you don't need to buy the pictures if you don't want to but plenty of people also skip those photos and/or give a pass at other times when they come around and take pictures. No one seems offended when you decline.

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We regularly bypass the embarkation photo location. At Port Canaveral after you get your card swiped to board, there is a narrow passageway against the right-hand wall that is roped off. We just duck under the rope and walk past the crowd waiting for their pictures.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Thanks y'all! Sounds like that's a "no problemo" answer! I'll let you know how it all goes!
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I promise, the photographers won't tackle you and hold you down til they get a picture of you.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
mmfox316
Mouseketeer

On our first trip my son was tired and his sugar had dropped I told them no thanks and they let us go right by. There was no discussion.
Art of Animation (Nemo) - 2012
DCL Dream - 2012
DCL Fantasy - 2013
Art of Animation (Lion King)- June 2014
DCL Dream CC Double Dip - November 2014
mmfox316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
SacCruiser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I cant believe you want to line cut and break the rules because you are so impatient ........ JK have a fun impromptu cruise! This was a good question.

1st DCL:
December 14th 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
2nd DCL:
November 28th, 2015, Fantasy Western Caribbean
SacCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
debsters41
DIS Veteran

3 cruises out of port Canaveral and we were never stopped as we bypassed the photo. No one batted an eye.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
n8nally
DIS Veteran

As a spinoff of the OP question, I want the embarkation photo, I just want it with my own camera. Can I make the line and ask the people behind us if they wouldn't mind snapping our family pic for us? Will the Shutters photog let that happen? Assuming the nice cruisers behind us are willing to snap a pic, a favor we would return!

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8nally View Post
As a spinoff of the OP question, I want the embarkation photo, I just want it with my own camera. Can I make the line and ask the people behind us if they wouldn't mind snapping our family pic for us? Will the Shutters photog let that happen? Assuming the nice cruisers behind us are willing to snap a pic, a favor we would return!
No. Shutters photographers are prohibited to touch your own camera. They are not Disney CMs.

The only times you can use your own camera is when there characters present, as there will be a CM who will be more than glad to take a picture with your camera.

Also, borders will be added to the embarkation photo with the ship name and date.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: