Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #1291
totebagg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post

Its well known on the DIS boards that I am no fan of the bus system. I think its been in decline for quiet some time. Its a great thing if you flying in and have no other means, but as a way to get around the world , it has its problems.

The schedules are erratic. With so many people now needing special assistance for the bus, they system can get bogged down. ECV and strollers really crowd the buses, and unfortunately its what needs to be done. I do not know if there will ever be a way to make things more easy for those with mobility issues.

The frequent stops really cut into your days. Waiting for a bus, especially after a very long park day can be excruciating. Then to get on a bus that will pack WAY too many people on it. I have felt in the past the bus was over loaded with people and gear. Its easy to spend an hour on a bus waiting to get somewhere that should take 15 minutes.

Lastly , and its part of life, the rudeness one can see on these buses , rivals that of many big cites. I was raised to give up your seat for a lady or child. Last trip my 9 YOD son gave up his seat to an elderly woman because neither of the "gentlemen" next to her would......and dont get me started on the little angels who need to sleep across 2 seats because they are tired....

PLUS you do not have to worry about last call for the buses. We like to close down the parks. Buses run late, but I have heard stories of people getting stranded and needing a cab!

So, if you can, take you own car. Arrive on your time, leave exactly when you want. Bring extra stuff you might need, you can get it if you want. Getting around the world is very easy, signs everywhere ! An updated GPS will help if your tired and do not want to look for signs!

We decided last trip to leave the bus system behind, which will make more room for those who have to use it, and make life easier for us!

IMO of course!

Try it one day and see what you think!
Thanks so much. Since we've never used the bus system, I may use a hybrid approach and use our car some of the time then use the buses. Do you have any suggestions when I should drive or are there particular parks I should not drive to? Once again, thanks so much for all your help. I am so glad I found these boards - everyone's advice has helped so much. I honestly didn't realize how much planning goes into a WDW trip!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #1292
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll65 View Post

Your absolutely right about the buses. I wish we could rent a car but the scooter my mother rented is a little tricky with breaking it down. And renting anything larger wouldn't be cost effective.
I have said this before, what WDW needs is smaller EVC buses that can load and unload wheelchairs and ECV quickly and with ease for those needing help. The current buses are too busy and clumsy in this process. Smaller handicap equipped buses would be much more efficient. You could even save time with call boxes at each location when it was needed.

Its hard enough for the ECV crowd to get around without having to deal with the buses.

I did see a few pics of the new "bendy" buses. Those might help with the congestion, but only if the are added to the fleet and not replacements.
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #1293
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totebagg View Post

Thanks so much. Since we've never used the bus system, I may use a hybrid approach and use our car some of the time then use the buses. Do you have any suggestions when I should drive or are there particular parks I should not drive to? Once again, thanks so much for all your help. I am so glad I found these boards - everyone's advice has helped so much. I honestly didn't realize how much planning goes into a WDW trip!
Its my pleasure! Personally we always drive to HS and AK . HS is the worst when it comes to buses . AK bus stop is quiet a walk from the front gate also. They have a covered area there but its basically in the parking lot, so if you drive you end up walking a bit more and not having to wait on a bus.

For MK and EPCOT I would goto the TTC and take the Monorail. This is not because its more convenient , but because there is something magical about Arriving at MK and EPCOT via monorail.

You could drive to EP and be ok., then save the Monorail for MK. Or do the Monorail for EP and take the ferry from TTC to MK ( we like boats so we do this alot. The monorail from TTC makes 2 more stops before MK.

Its a toss up for EP. But for MK your only choice would be TTC monorail or ferry.

Which resort will you be at? What time of year?
!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #1294
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:
Its my pleasure! Personally we always drive to HS and AK . HS is the worst when it comes to buses . AK bus stop is quiet a walk from the front gate also. They have a covered area there but its basically in the parking lot, so if you drive you end up walking a bit more and not having to wait on a bus.

For MK and EPCOT I would goto the TTC and take the Monorail. This is not because its more convenient , but because there is something magical about Arriving at MK and EPCOT via monorail.

You could drive to EP and be ok., then save the Monorail for MK. Or do the Monorail for EP and take the ferry from TTC to MK ( we like boats so we do this alot. The monorail from TTC makes 2 more stops before MK.

Its a toss up for EP. But for MK your only choice would be TTC monorail or ferry.

I love your suggestions, if you don't mind, do you have any for staying at AoA FN at end of September? We have always done buses, with a few monorail rides thrown in for fun. We are leaning more towards driving for all the reasons you stated in your original post. We will have 1 small, umbrella stroller this trip; by age 3.5 we make all the kids walk...lol. Thanks!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #1295
totebagg
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I will be there 10/19 - 10/27 and had originally booked and paid for POR but when FD was announced I switched to CBR. Our party consists of 4 adults and a 6 year old. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #1296
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever View Post

I love your suggestions, if you don't mind, do you have any for staying at AoA FN at end of September? We have always done buses, with a few monorail rides thrown in for fun. We are leaning more towards driving for all the reasons you stated in your original post. We will have 1 small, umbrella stroller this trip; by age 3.5 we make all the kids walk...lol. Thanks!!!
I would say the above advice stands for you as well. Depending on a few things. AOA is a very heavy bus use resort. As are many of the value resorts.

If you want to use a bus try to go off peak times. Meaning any time thats not within an hour of park opening or closing, or during a rain storm!!!

I cannot understate the value of having a car just for storing stuff . ( Poncho , change of clothes, extra shoes, first aide) which means you do not have to carry around a bunch of stuff! Plus with a larger family, if someone get tired one parent can go back to the car for a rest in the cooler months with that cranky one ( in extreme situations)

For a half park day the bus maybe ok, but if you have a car , use it! Driving is very very simple. The hotel CM will tell you the best ways to go.

Buses have their use, but if your trying to get the most out of your day, the car is your better option.

The buses at the end of a long hot or wet day are not pleasant.
!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #1297
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totebagg View Post

I will be there 10/19 - 10/27 and had originally booked and paid for POR but when FD was announced I switched to CBR. Our party consists of 4 adults and a 6 year old. Thanks!
Looks like a great set up. The only downside to the car is parking. But honestly its not as bad as people say. If you are averse to walking there is a tram to drive you to your car. Personally , I love walking and I go get the car and pick up the family right next to the buses.

I love the independence and freedom of having my own transportation
!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1298
TDDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Looks like a great set up. The only downside to the car is parking. But honestly its not as bad as people say. If you are averse to walking there is a tram to drive you to your car. Personally , I love walking and I go get the car and pick up the family right next to the buses.

I love the independence and freedom of having my own transportation
I'd love your opinion....We're staying at POR in Oct. WeHave an ADR at CRT at 8:05 (park opens at 9 that day). We have a rental car (driving to some other FL attractions). We plan to leave MK at about 11:30 day of ADR. Should we drive our car, which means we have to do the TTC thing.....or, should we take a bus (if so, will we get there on time??)....very interested in your thoughts....thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #1299
FrugalFashionista
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDisney View Post

I'd love your opinion....We're staying at POR in Oct. WeHave an ADR at CRT at 8:05 (park opens at 9 that day). We have a rental car (driving to some other FL attractions). We plan to leave MK at about 11:30 day of ADR. Should we drive our car, which means we have to do the TTC thing.....or, should we take a bus (if so, will we get there on time??)....very interested in your thoughts....thanks!
Take your car! Then again I'm paranoid about being late
DS6

First Family Trip: December 2013

Already planning for 2015!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #1300
wunkmom
Tattooed, homeschooling, crocheting, cat wrangling SAHM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirendi View Post
Does anyone know if you can link your MNSSHP tickets to your online reservations / account. Also, Im hearing Magic Bands are being tested at POR - I haven't seen anything on my account under the Magic Band or Fast Pass + yet. I arrive 10/26-31...is it too early or should I see something.
Yes, you can link your MNSSHP to your MDE account. Just go to link existing reservations and tickets and follow the instructions. Voila!

Not sure about Magic Bands though , think you'll get an email letting you know if/when you can personalize them.

10/2013 - WL - first Deluxe trip!! TRIP REPORT FORTHCOMING!!!
2/2011 - Off site, at Grandma's house, just Wunk & me.
9/2008 - ASSports - So much rain, so few people!
1/2006 - POR - Look Wunk, Santa gave us a trip to Disney!
11/2003 - CBR - Wunk's first trip - Thanksgiving with extended family.
6/1991 - Dolphin - Concierge Level - With my future husband - Subway convention (13th fastest sandwich maker in US!)

Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #1301
laceyinwonderland
Mouseketeer

Hey guys!! I asked this over on the theme park strategy board, but didn't really get an answer, so maybe my free dining friends can help me!

We will have 2 HWS days on our upcoming trip and want to see Fantasmic once. The first is a Monday with EMH, non recommended by easy and TP. For this day, I was able to get a F! Dining pkg at mama Melrose. Our second day will be a Wed, regular park hours, recommended park day. I've tried ( and will keep trying) to change my F! dining to this day, but so far, no luck.

Will it be better to go the first day with the priority seating, even though the park with be busier? Or would I be better off just doing stand by on a better day?

We want to try Mama Melrose so we will eat there Monday regardless. If we waited til Wed to view the show, could I pixie dust my F! seats to some one else?

TIA!
Dec 2011 POP
Nov 2013 AOA/POP

June 2014 offsite/AKV Happy Bday to ME!
Sept 2014 POFQ
Old 08-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #1302
Chela227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutospalforever

We stayed at AoA in January and were pleasantly surprised with the busses. Never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus and usually had a seat. We had 2 adults, 2 little ones and a double stroller. They don't share busses with anyone. We stayed in a LM room... That was a LONG walk to get to transport but other than that, no problems. To be honest, my expectations are pretty high.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #1303
Chela227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirendi
Does anyone know if you can link your MNSSHP tickets to your online reservations / account. Also, Im hearing Magic Bands are being tested at POR - I haven't seen anything on my account under the Magic Band or Fast Pass + yet. I arrive 10/26-31...is it too early or should I see something.
Yes you can, I linked my Christmas tix, you need the number on the back. You usually get official word about magic bands 17 days out but you can check you MDE around 20 days out and it might show up. Some people never get official word. See this http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3142535
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1304
dmoore718
If you think being a firefighter is tough, try being a firefighter's wife

Just in case anyone needs it..I was able to price out a free dining package at POR for the week of 12/13. Only had River view available but still a good option for families of 5 on a budget.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #1305
rocky41102
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know if I book a free dining package for 6 nights, could I shorten the stay later if the check in date still falls within the free dining dates? I found dates that will work for us, but I may need to change the check in date to one day later and make it a 5 night stay depending on the kids school.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: