Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #1276
xipotec
Grinning Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by totebagg View Post

This is our first time to Disney in about 20 years and we are staying on site at CBR. I've been reading a lot about the bus transportation and I'm a little worried. Since we will have our car would it be best to drive to all the parks? Any tips?
Its well known on the DIS boards that I am no fan of the bus system. I think its been in decline for quiet some time. Its a great thing if you flying in and have no other means, but as a way to get around the world , it has its problems.

The schedules are erratic. With so many people now needing special assistance for the bus, they system can get bogged down. ECV and strollers really crowd the buses, and unfortunately its what needs to be done. I do not know if there will ever be a way to make things more easy for those with mobility issues.

The frequent stops really cut into your days. Waiting for a bus, especially after a very long park day can be excruciating. Then to get on a bus that will pack WAY too many people on it. I have felt in the past the bus was over loaded with people and gear. Its easy to spend an hour on a bus waiting to get somewhere that should take 15 minutes.

Lastly , and its part of life, the rudeness one can see on these buses , rivals that of many big cites. I was raised to give up your seat for a lady or child. Last trip my 9 YOD son gave up his seat to an elderly woman because neither of the "gentlemen" next to her would......and dont get me started on the little angels who need to sleep across 2 seats because they are tired....

PLUS you do not have to worry about last call for the buses. We like to close down the parks. Buses run late, but I have heard stories of people getting stranded and needing a cab!

So, if you can, take you own car. Arrive on your time, leave exactly when you want. Bring extra stuff you might need, you can get it if you want. Getting around the world is very easy, signs everywhere ! An updated GPS will help if your tired and do not want to look for signs!

We decided last trip to leave the bus system behind, which will make more room for those who have to use it, and make life easier for us!

IMO of course!

Try it one day and see what you think!
Before that too many to list
!

SOME IMAGINATION, HUH??? - Mickey Mouse
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #1277
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDDisney View Post

Thanks. I better not risk it. We would need to park from about 7:30-11:30. I read somewhere that you can tell them you have an early ADR, and they will send a bus for you. Do you know if this is accurate info?
We stayed at POFQ last year and had an 8:05 ADR for Crystal Palace. We had no issues with the bus...we got to our bus stop around 6:45/7am an we were at the MK by 7:30.

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #1278
scard192
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
We stayed at POFQ last year and had an 8:05 ADR for Crystal Palace. We had no issues with the bus...we got to our bus stop around 6:45/7am an we were at the MK by 7:30.
we are at POFQ and have an 8:20 ADR at CP. One more question checked off my list!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #1279
scard192
DIS Veteran

I can do On Line Check In is 3 days

Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #1280
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipotec View Post
Its well known on the DIS boards that I am no fan of the bus system. I think its been in decline for quiet some time. Its a great thing if you flying in and have no other means, but as a way to get around the world , it has its problems.

The schedules are erratic. With so many people now needing special assistance for the bus, they system can get bogged down. ECV and strollers really crowd the buses, and unfortunately its what needs to be done. I do not know if there will ever be a way to make things more easy for those with mobility issues.

The frequent stops really cut into your days. Waiting for a bus, especially after a very long park day can be excruciating. Then to get on a bus that will pack WAY too many people on it. I have felt in the past the bus was over loaded with people and gear. Its easy to spend an hour on a bus waiting to get somewhere that should take 15 minutes.

Lastly , and its part of life, the rudeness one can see on these buses , rivals that of many big cites. I was raised to give up your seat for a lady or child. Last trip my 9 YOD son gave up his seat to an elderly woman because neither of the "gentlemen" next to her would......and dont get me started on the little angels who need to sleep across 2 seats because they are tired....

PLUS you do not have to worry about last call for the buses. We like to close down the parks. Buses run late, but I have heard stories of people getting stranded and needing a cab!

So, if you can, take you own car. Arrive on your time, leave exactly when you want. Bring extra stuff you might need, you can get it if you want. Getting around the world is very easy, signs everywhere ! An updated GPS will help if your tired and do not want to look for signs!

We decided last trip to leave the bus system behind, which will make more room for those who have to use it, and make life easier for us!

IMO of course!

Your absolutely right about the buses. I wish we could rent a car but the scooter my mother rented is a little tricky with breaking it down. And renting anything larger wouldn't be cost effective.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)
Old 08-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #1281
acceber32
Mouseketeer

Wohoo!! Was able to snag a gardenview room this morning for our dates at POR!!! So excited!! I've been trying to get one since FD came out. We switched to CBR when FD came out bc that's what was open but I love POR. I've been checking multiple times a day but nothing was available for our whole stay (sometimes a RGR but couldn't talk DH into that). Couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw there was a gardenview open. My husband will be excited bc now I'll stop whining about it, lol. Didn't even wait for my TA to book it, hope there is no problem canceling the old ressie and transferring the new one to her. 116 days left to go!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #1282
btirendi
KingPin

MNSSHP Tickets - Magic Bands

Does anyone know if you can link your MNSSHP tickets to your online reservations / account. Also, Im hearing Magic Bands are being tested at POR - I haven't seen anything on my account under the Magic Band or Fast Pass + yet. I arrive 10/26-31...is it too early or should I see something.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #1283
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard192 View Post
I can do On Line Check In is 3 days

Us too.

I've never done online check-in before. I listen to the DIS Unplugged podcast and when they did their "7 Resorts in 7 Days" Pete kept saying that they had problems at the front desk whenever they had done online check-in. I'm not sure what to do......opinions? TIA!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #1284
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

Quote:

IMO of course!

Thanks for this!! I have been leaning towards driving to parks and have been wondering why we haven't done this sooner??? Will definitely do this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceber32 View Post
Wohoo!! Was able to snag a gardenview room this morning for our dates at POR!!! So excited!! I've been trying to get one since FD came out. We switched to CBR when FD came out bc that's what was open but I love POR. I've been checking multiple times a day but nothing was available for our whole stay (sometimes a RGR but couldn't talk DH into that). Couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I saw there was a gardenview open. My husband will be excited bc now I'll stop whining about it, lol. Didn't even wait for my TA to book it, hope there is no problem canceling the old ressie and transferring the new one to her. 116 days left to go!
Yea!!!! Congrats! Your TA should just send you a form to transfer the ressie. Have a great vacation!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #1285
Kat016
DIS Veteran

9 days until I can do online check in!!! I'm so excited. My countdown started at 368 and I'm down to 69!!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #1286
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:

IMO of course!

As I read your post I could not help but recall a packed bus ride we had in 2009 seeing family upon family taking up multiple seats so kids could lay down. What ever happened to Mom and Dad each holding a child on their laps?

Oh and the situations on the buses has become so much worse over the years with the use of more and more strollers, We now avoid resorts that are "bus transportation only"

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #1287
Nechville
DIS Veteran

Well I am conflicted. We are booked at CSR. Today I checked and a Riverside room opened. I am not sure what I prefer. There are things about both I like. Since my reservation is with a TA, I'm not going to try to book myself and transfer it to her so I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything is still open Monday. I wasn't sold on the southwest theme and the desk instead of table bugged me -- but my son likes the CSR pool pictures better. It seems everyone is trying to get into Riverside so that makes me wonder if I should too.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #1288
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nechville View Post
Well I am conflicted. We are booked at CSR. Today I checked and a Riverside room opened. I am not sure what I prefer. There are things about both I like. Since my reservation is with a TA, I'm not going to try to book myself and transfer it to her so I guess we'll have to wait and see if anything is still open Monday. I wasn't sold on the southwest theme and the desk instead of table bugged me -- but my son likes the CSR pool pictures better. It seems everyone is trying to get into Riverside so that makes me wonder if I should too.

If your son likes the CSR pool photos better, then perhaps stay there? I like POR a lot and originally intended to stay there but there was no FD rooms available during my dates (still aren't and the room only discount that pops up is only 5%) so we're at WL now.

I think a lot of the people trying to get into Riverside are families of 5 who need the space and it's the only moderate that can accommodate them. Coronado is a nice resort.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR
Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #1289
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acceber32 View Post
Nice!!!! :-)
Old 08-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #1290
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat016 View Post
9 days until I can do online check in!!! I'm so excited. My countdown started at 368 and I'm down to 69!!
Woohoo!!!!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: