Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
timelord14
Earning My Ears

What are the best things to collect?

Hi there,

I am not usually the type of person to collect things, but I would like to have some collectables from my holiday to Disneyland.
What are things that people usually collect? needs to be small and relatively inexpensive

Many thanks
Michelle
timelord14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Dot2Vegas
DIS Veteran

We collect mugs, kitchen decor, pins, park maps antenna toppers and tickets.
You could also collect key chains, pens vinylmations, pressed pennies, holiday ornaments, ear hats... You've got a real variety to chose from! You could always wait until you arrive, do some browsing and see what you like best!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
whoever
DIS Veteran

Ears.
Pressed Pennies
Favorite attraction pins.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
dtnrhi
Mouseketeer

We like Christmas Ornaments. While not necessarily "cheap", they are all generally under $20, and you actually use them, unlike some of the other trinkets you can collect. We also like the memories that come with getting them out every year.
dtnrhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
GenGen22
DIS Veteran

I started collecting magnets for my refrigerator from all the place I go. They are small and inexpensive. We also collect disney pins for trading & pressed pennies.

Summer Vacations:
DL offsite 1976 & 1979, DL Best Western Raffles 2004 & 2005, DL Radisson Suites Hotel Buena Park 2010, DL Hampton Inn & Suites 2013
Christmas time Vacations:
DL Embassy Suites Anaheim South 2009, WDW POP Century 2011

Halloween Vacation:
October 2013
GenGen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
krispin41
DIS Veteran

What is speaking to you as you walk through the shops? How are you going to display said collection?

I like pins...I also collect Beauty & the Beast items.
krispin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
chabelita545
Mouseketeer

My kids and I collect pins. You can trade them with other pin collectors if both parties agree to the trade or you can trade with CMs who will always trade if they don't already have the pin you want to give them. It's fun to buy duplicates so you have some traders.

We wear them on lanyards in the park (periodically pressing them tightly on so we don't lose any) and at home I display them in frames. Pop out the glass and pin them to a piece of material (I cut up a pair of old jeans), then stretch the material over the frame backing and put the frame back together. It's a nice way to show off your collection and a good reminder of the trip.
Disneyland, CA -August '13, August '11, March '10, August '07, May '06, May '05, February '02 (first time as a mom), New Year's Eve '97, July '90, Thanksgiving '89, September '89, as a kid in '86, '81, '74, '73, '72
DisneyWorld and Cruise on the Disney Magic (Bahamas) - January '09
chabelita545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Rubygoose
DIS Veteran

Not really a collection, but each trip (we've done 3 so far) we get a picture frame and put our favourite family photo in it. We always get a wooden frame with the Mickey heads in the corners.

On our recent trip, the kids discovered pressed pennies. They are all over the place. A CM in a gift shop in frontier land gave me a check list with all of the presses and designs.

Rubygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
momof4fans
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't say I collect them, but I did buy Christmas ornaments for each of my 4 kids the last time we were there. I'm planning on doing that again. It is so fun to get them out at Christmas! It brings back good memories. I also bought fridge magnets because I look at them every day and they make me smile. I think I'm going to get a nice, big coffee mug this trip. Just a week now!
momof4fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #10
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

I used to collect mugs from everywhere I went and I do like drinking out of them and remembering a trip. However, I ran out of room for them and realized I needed to collect something smaller. Now I get a pin for all the places I visit. (Hmm... come to think of it- they are all Disney related- Disney Family Museum, Disney archives at the Reagan Museum...)Aside from getting Disney pins for trading you can pick up a pin that says Disneyland and one that says Disney California Adventure. There must be somewhere you can pick up a non Disney pin that just says California (airport, maybe). If you visit other attractions in California, they are likely to have pins in their gift stores too.

My mom has been doing this for years and she has pins from places all over the world. I've just started so I only have a few. But even a large collection can be nicely displayed and take up not much space in a suitcase and at home.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Music CD's. I try and pick out a new one each time. I also try to remember to get a $1 in Disney Dollars. Sometimes I get a few pressed pennies.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #12
Lei
Mouseketeer

For me, it's pins. I don't trade, though, just collect, because I only buy the ones that I really, really like the most.

And it's more fun to set a theme. My collection's themes are attraction pins, and Disney parks around the world. I'm only missing Paris!
Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #13
timelord14
Earning My Ears

Great thanks for all the replies! Lots of options for me to think about.
timelord14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
bleeps
DIS Veteran

I think it definitely comes down to what you will most enjoy seeing/using once you are home; collections that end up in a drawer, or just collecting dust, or that are otherwise tedious to deal with won't mean a thing to you and are likely to make you regret having spent the money.

I really love to find things that become a part of everyday life, so that they are a happy reminder of our Disney trips.

There's no right or wrong to collecting -- only what is meaningful, enjoyable, and affordable for you!

WDW once a year since 2003!
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
Midnightred
DIS Veteran

I like the little plastic tall hot beverage mugs with the lids! Use them at work and I am reminded of the trip. Also, they are great at home to put ice water in for my kids, place the lid back on and add a straw. This way no spilling and they stay hydrated.

Midnightred
Midnightred is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: