Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

What DW hotel compares to the DL hotel?

I love luv love the Disneyland Hotel. It's worth the extra money to me but I really need to get 2 rooms for our family of 8 and I'm hoping we can get them adjoining. I want to go with the most cost effective plan but I'm thinking we might do a mod? Or perhaps a value? I'm worried about using a bus for all 8 of us and would love to have the boat/monorail options, just can't afford to spend crazy money on one trip KWIM. So I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed after staying at the DL hotel and then going to stay at AOA? Never been to the world before.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning to put DH in the other room with a few kids at the time of our trip they will be 2,5,6,9,11,12

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChapman6 View Post
I love luv love the Disneyland Hotel. It's worth the extra money to me but I really need to get 2 rooms for our family of 8 and I'm hoping we can get them adjoining. I want to go with the most cost effective plan but I'm thinking we might do a mod? Or perhaps a value? I'm worried about using a bus for all 8 of us and would love to have the boat/monorail options, just can't afford to spend crazy money on one trip KWIM. So I'm wondering if I'll be disappointed after staying at the DL hotel and then going to stay at AOA? Never been to the world before.

Thanks in advance.

I'm planning to put DH in the other room with a few kids at the time of our trip they will be 2,5,6,9,11,12
The Disneyland Hotel is magnificent especially with its refurbished rooms.

All three Disneyland Resort hotels would be considered 'Deluxe' WDW resorts. I think the WDW resorts are much better themed and create their own worlds - Disneyland resorts don't and can't do that (some may argue GCH does but I don't think so).

If I had only stayed at the Disneyland hotel I'd be very disappointed by the AoA (I don't like the place anyway, I think it looks like a prison). A moderate would be the way to go if you want a compromise between cost and comfort: somewhere like Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. Neither of those are similar to the Disneyland Hotel but they're lovely hotels all the same and much cheaper than what you'd pay for the Disneyland Hotel per night.

In terms of the most similar style; the Contemporary most reminds me of the refurbed Disneyland Hotel rooms though you couldn't really call them similar, but they're both 'modern'.

I would consider a POR vacation if possible. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and POR-French Quarter one after the other last year and enjoyed both! Honestly, the buses aren't that bad. Most times the French Quarter has its own dedicated bus service so I wouldn't worry about that. Many Disneylanders seem to hate the idea of taking a bus to the parks but I prefer it because it feels like I'm on a journey going somewhere! POR resorts also have the boat to Downtown Disney which I love when I stay there.
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Consort View Post
The Disneyland Hotel is magnificent especially with its refurbished rooms.

All three Disneyland Resort hotels would be considered 'Deluxe' WDW resorts. I think the WDW resorts are much better themed and create their own worlds - Disneyland resorts don't and can't do that (some may argue GCH does but I don't think so).

If I had only stayed at the Disneyland hotel I'd be very disappointed by the AoA (I don't like the place anyway, I think it looks like a prison). A moderate would be the way to go if you want a compromise between cost and comfort: somewhere like Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside. Neither of those are similar to the Disneyland Hotel but they're lovely hotels all the same and much cheaper than what you'd pay for the Disneyland Hotel per night.

In terms of the most similar style; the Contemporary most reminds me of the refurbed Disneyland Hotel rooms though you couldn't really call them similar, but they're both 'modern'.

I would consider a POR vacation if possible. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and POR-French Quarter one after the other last year and enjoyed both! Honestly, the buses aren't that bad. Most times the French Quarter has its own dedicated bus service so I wouldn't worry about that. Many Disneylanders seem to hate the idea of taking a bus to the parks but I prefer it because it feels like I'm on a journey going somewhere! POR resorts also have the boat to Downtown Disney which I love when I stay there.
It doesn't seem so bad when I price it out 4,53.06 for a week at AOA with 2 rooms but I'm sorta scared to price others. Hopefully we can find a discount or free dining I'm hoping to spend 8,000 total for a week for the 8 of us. Baby doesn't count but needs a plane ticket. I think we would be happier if we had the option of the boat?????

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChapman6 View Post
It doesn't seem so bad when I price it out 4,53.06 for a week at AOA with 2 rooms but I'm sorta scared to price others. Hopefully we can find a discount or free dining I'm hoping to spend 8,000 total for a week for the 8 of us. Baby doesn't count but needs a plane ticket. I think we would be happier if we had the option of the boat?????
I think the best thing to do is price out what's affordable to you. You're going to Disney World!!!

You can't compare the AoA to the deluxe Disneyland Hotel so it's not worth trying to. If that's what's affordable then go for it; think of it as a place to sleep and recharge before heading back to the parks the next day. It's base camp. The kids may enjoy the larger than life Disney statues too.

If you're more interested in also having a great themed resort and that's important to you then the values aren't going to cut it. Either way, I think the great thing about Disney World is they have choices to meet all budgets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: