Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
bean bunny
Mouseketeer

First time cruiser - booking question

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are taking my parents on a cruise and it is a first for all of us. We are celebrating my graduation from my MBA program next year and looking forward already to getting away next May!

I am a veteran WDW visitor with close to 20 visits but we've never cruised so I'm not even sure where to start. Since I've gotten so much help from the DIS over the years I thought I'd use a travel agent this time but I've sent two emails with no response so I'm going to move forward and book on my own and I need any advice you can offer!

We are doing a 3 night Dream cruise next May and know that we won't verandah state rooms. That's the extent of my knowledge! If we want quiet rooms and have never cruised so don't know how we'll feel with movement, etc. WHERE do we want to be? Which category? There doesn't seem to be a great price difference between the various ones so I'm curious what the differentiators are. I have been doing lots of reading so if this exists somewhere please point me there - or if you have info you could share I would be grateful!

Upcoming Trips:
December 2011, January 2012, August 2012
bean bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

When you get down to the details, there is a link to actual room reports above. The basic rule is the lower and middle of the ship has the least movement. Which makes sense when you think about it swaying back and forth either side to side or front to back, the father you get away from the middle the larger the swings. Given that, you'll also read the it's VERY subjective. Some people swear by the rule and some say they feel no difference at all. I'm a seasick person and didn't really feel a difference high or low. Personally, I'd go with what do you want to be close to. Is walking stairs ok or will you have to wait for an elevator every time you change floors. Center elevator is busier than the other two. Noise is very subjective too. The last room we had we were supposed to be able to hear the booms from the movie theater according to a review. I heard it one time during the week and very faint, so not worth basing a decision on. I'd look more for a location that looks good to you. Closer to the atrium and activities inside or closer to the lido deck.
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

cograts on getting your MBA, I recieved mine 10 years ago.

I would get a cabin forward 8C on deck 7. I am a veradah guy, but that's just me, you might check out the 5E's they are not much more if you would consider a balcony.

deck 7 gets you in the middle of the ship (vertically). if you like some walking it is a nice floor.

My second choice for you, if you think you need elivators more is a room on the 2nd floor 9B, down by the forward elivators, less traffic. But besides dinner time, the elivators should be pretty easy to board.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
bean bunny
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much to both of you! Are you able to just request these assignments when you book?

Upcoming Trips:
December 2011, January 2012, August 2012
bean bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

Congrats on your MBA! I got mine last year and I think it's a wonderful way to celebrate. DH and I like to be between floors of rooms when possible. We tend to like deck 7 for location (I think). This our first DCL cruise, but we've done others before and this has been our preference.

We like to be close to the main pool decks and not too far from the dining rooms and theaters. This deck usually did it for us on our other cruises. So it just depends on the cruise layout and what you would like to be closest to or furthest from.
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean bunny View Post
Thanks so much to both of you! Are you able to just request these assignments when you book?
yes, you can

i would pull up the dinseycruise.com sight and pull up the ship map

DISNEYCRUISE.COM
SHIP AND ACTIVITIES
DISNEY DREAM (IF THAT'S THE SHIP)
DECK PLAN

it will take a second to load and then you can view the deck plans. the DCL member will give you some room numbers and you can see where they are.

works great. let us know the room you decide.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: