Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
T16
Earning My Ears

Disney Can't Honor Free Dining? Really?

I imagine this question has been posted here before, and so my apologies if this is redundant…I haven’t had much luck with the search feature.

It’s been a couple of years since we’ve been to WDW, and this will be the first year back for me, DD9 and DD5 post-divorce. We’re pretty excited. My ex and I were both serious Disney Dorks, and while she did all the meticulous planning for our previous trips, I’ve learned the ropes pretty well, I think. I mention this mostly because I believe we encountered this situation before, and Disney resolved it in our favor after she talked to the right people.

Earlier this year, I made non-discounted reservations, including DDP, for September 15 – 20. Subsequently, Disney came out with a free dining offer valid during that time. Apparently, the offer expired on 7/31, however, and when I called a few days after this, I was told that Disney would not/could not honor the free dining offer (and provide me a refund, as I had paid in full) since I hadn’t called and asked for free dining prior to 7/31. Hmmm. I asked if they could make an exception and honor this anyway – again, I feel that this exact thing had happened to us a few years back, and Disney made good, as I thought was their standing policy on honoring later discounts – but I was told it was essentially against some sort of law.

So, what better place to get the scoop on this than Dis boards? If this is truly a no-go, it won’t impact our vacation one bit, and we’ll have a magical time and enjoy the dining plans we’ve paid for. However, if there’s a way to get Disney to not penalize me for making my reservation a few months too early and give us the free dining everyone else is getting, it’s certainly worth a call or two.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You called after the expiration of the offer. The expiration date wasn't any secret. Having a reservation previously booked is no guarantee of getting a promotion, as promotions are not automatically added to existing reservations. I'm afraid I don't understand why you would expect them to honor it after it expired.
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

The offer is still on, so I am guessing they are telling you that you can't add it within 45 days of your arrival, I would think you should be able to add it with the worst outcome being a change fee, but hopefully others should be able to confirm this.
gskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

The offer is not still on for the OP's stay dates. The offer for those September dates expired on July 31.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

here is the link to the offer, showing you can book it up till Sept 15.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

September 15 is the last day to book it. However, there is no provision in that offer for free dining if you check in on September 15. The earliest check-in date covered by the current offer is September 29.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

you need to look at the link, there are two offers, one starting sept 29, one going from sept 2-25, I am looking at the page now that says free dining sept 2-25
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

That offer expired on July 31. It is not current. And actually I am not seeing it on the linked page at all. The only free dining offer I see is the fall one for dates starting September 29.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

again I say look at the link, if you have looked please say you have looked, if you haven't stop assuming you know, when I am looking at the page.

http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.g...t=fy13q4dineCA
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Post removed as it is pointed out below that the page linked above is for an offer for Canada only. Can't tell if the OP is Canadian but it doesn't appear so.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-09-2013 at 10:01 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskywalker View Post
again I say look at the link, if you have looked please say you have looked, if you haven't stop assuming you know, when I am looking at the page.

http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.g...t=fy13q4dineCA
this page you linked is for Canadians only not US or anywhere else
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
gskywalker
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy99 View Post
this page you linked is for Canadians only not US or anywhere else
That would explain it because I just went through and was able to see if I could do a booking and I could, but if its just for Canadians..... it must be because Disney likes us more
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
T16
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your responses. I'm mostly interested if others have had any success with similar experiences. To clarify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand why you would expect them to honor it after it expired.
I don't EXPECT Disney to do anything. I've had consistently positive experiences with Disney customer service over the past decade or so, and so I'm interested in REQUESTING AN ACCOMODATION, in the interests of goodwill, above-and-beyond customer service, or whatever Disney wants to call it.

Ever have a store honor a coupon after it expired? You probably didn't expect them to do so, but were no doubt happy when they did. Ever been upgraded at check-in? Unexpectedly? Or because you simply asked?

I understand quite well that promotions have expiry dates, and Disney has policies - so no need to go into the mechanics of this, or the "if Disney let everyone" rationale. They've exceeded my expectations before, so I'm interested if they might possibly do it again...

And no, I'm not about to complain to someone if I don't get my free DDP.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

It would never occur to me to ask a store to honor a coupon after it expired. Upgrades are not comparable. Disney is also not known for offering upgrades free just for asking. They do offer them sometimes, but asking is not the best way to get them. The tone of the first post appeared to be a complaint because they refused to honor the offer after it expired. I woudn't expect them to.

I don't know of anyone who was able to get free dining after it expired just because they didn't call while the offer was still good. Not that there isn't anyone out there but I don't recall seeing it on the boards.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
So, what better place to get the scoop on this than Dis boards? If this is truly a no-go, it wont impact our vacation one bit, and well have a magical time and enjoy the dining plans weve paid for. However, if theres a way to get Disney to not penalize me for making my reservation a few months too early and give us the free dining everyone else is getting, its certainly worth a call or two.
I would say it is a no-go
this is one of the reasons we use a TA. While we are on these boards we aren't on here daily and I don't have to worry about missing a discount
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: