Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
cove61
Earning My Ears

Question No more gac ??

On another forum I saw a comment that Disney was going to do away with their gac and turn to a universal style system where people get given a time to return. Now I don't use the gac as I use a scooter, but I wondered if this just another rumour which going about of if this is what Disney are planning.? Would have a huge effect for some families if it true.
They didn't say when this might take effect
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cove61 View Post
On another forum I saw a comment that Disney was going to do away with their gac and turn to a universal style system where people get given a time to return. Now I don't use the gac as I use a scooter, but I wondered if this just another rumour which going about of if this is what Disney are planning.? Would have a huge effect for some families if it true.
They didn't say when this might take effect
They are just rumors Disney not getting rid of it just make some changes that no one knows what is. Only thing new is they will only issue for two weeks take all changes to gac as rumor until sue changes the sticker and makes a announcement. Until then the rest or just rumors and that's it.

Of anything it be linked to your magic band and they do stuff like that.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
disney david
DIS Veteran

With the latest testing of magic band the dis got to do it and showed pics of a hand held device that can scan your magic band. That they use at restaurant so to can pay with your band at the table. And at locations that are not attractions like illuminations and parades they can scan and see if you have a fast pass plus reservation. Now each attraction will have a computer with a screen that they could see you have a gac and be able to treat it just like if you had a card. Or they could give each one the hand held device that programmed to tell what the need is and be better able to help you. Their so much they can do now the have a hand held device lost kids now can get scanned and they can get info to can have allergy info on it and at the restaurant they could scan it and see so the chef knows before hand and comes out to talk to you a little but more prepared.

Their so much they can do with the new system that we have to wait and see. So right now as I said before the rest is just rumors only high level dissent execs know anything they are kinda afraid to announce anything just yet. Because they take their Responsibilty to guest with disabilities very seriously and don't want to make it harder for guest with disabilities and plus they have a great image they do t want to hurt either. So that why they have not come out and said anything they want to get it right so I honk we all owe them some respect and wait for them to he ready. And not start speculating on what the changes will be and start getting upset. We have to wait and see Disney won't do something so drastic you won't be able to enjoy your trip. They want you to have fun and be able to do things just like everyone else they just have to fix the system so people who don't need it don't get one and guest who do can still get one and enjoy their time.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

There are very many rumors about GACs at WDW and Disneyland, but no actual news.
Rumors tend to pop up every 6 months to a year anyway, but have been more recent because of news about RFID cards, Magicbands and problems with GACs.

We are asking people to NOT start new threads asking if there is any news. When there is something to report, a Moderator will add the information.
If posters have any news, we are asking them to send one of disABILITIES Board Moderators a message and we will post it in a single place.
This will keep all the news together and separate from rumors.
Post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread will also be updated as there are changes to report.
Since the information on post 6 is quite general, basic, and based the ADA, it my not actually change much.
You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board or follo the link in my signature.

Neither of the Moderators on this board work for or peak for Disney, but we do have ways to get information from CMs that isaccurate.

Here are the things we do know:

1) GAC (Guest Assistance Cards) are not going away, but the program is being revised.

2) The target date for rolling out the changed program was reportedly August 1, but as been pushed further into the future - some sources now say October 2013.

3) One of the changes coming up a lot in rumors is giving some sort of a return ticket, based on the current wait time at the attraction.
A similar system is currently in use at Universal. If the current wait is short (less than 30 minutes) guests with disabilities may be brought into the attraction through the Express Pass line (this is Universal's version of Fastpass).
If the current wait is longer at Universal, a return pass ticket is given for a time similar to the wait time. (This is how Universal is reportedly working at the time of this writing)

4) Although many posters have not ever received a 'return time ticket' at Disney World or Disneyland, they have been an option. They are currently in use at some attractions at Disneyland, particularly in The Cars area.
My family has personally gotten a return time ticket at WDW on several attractions, so they are not new.
This is one of the rumors that is most likely to be part of the revised GAC program.

5) Although RFID enabled GACs or GAC information encoded onto passes or Magicbands is possible at some time in the future, it is not likely to happen soon.
The RFID/Fastpass Plus program is in the testing phases at this time (early August 2013) and is not ready for full roll out at WDW.

Fastpass Plus and RFID cards/Magicbands have not begun testing at Disneyland yet.

6) Disney does not have anything official published currently about GACs, either in print or on their website. The only information about GACs present on the Disney website has been on the Disney Mom's panel. The information there was often incorrect and the disclaimer on the page indicates that Disney takes no responsibility for correctness or completeness of the answers.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: