Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
Good question though. If you want to sell cruises last minute, why limit to just Florida residents. Open it up to the world.

There must be a bit more of a reason
Discounted rates *are* opened up to everyone--in the form of the *GT rates.

I don't know for sure, but I read theories here on the boards that DCL is trying to protect their prices by only offering these super-low prices to CMs and FL residents (or Canada or NY, etc). If everyone were able to snag a FL res deal, it would have a negative impact on their pricing scheme, their perceived value, and their brand prestige. Basically, they would become the Carnival of cruising instead of having the reputation they have now. (Fwiw, my family loves Carnival!) I also doubt they would be able to operate profitably with half the cruisers at FL resident rates. But if everyone knows those rates will eventually be available, how many people will pay full fare? Just look at how many people now expect and plan for the *GT rates to come out now. And finally, and this applies to my family, many (not all) FL residents don't pay full fare for cruises. We can afford to wait and book last minute on any of the lines cruising out of Fl. If DCL, Royal, and Carnival all offer me a FL res rate, I'm going to book DCL if I can! If DCL ignores FL residents, we're going to sail anyway, but likely on another cruise line.

Anyway, those are just theories I've run across, excepting the last one. We represent a small, but crazy, bunch of people who will sail whenever a good deal pops up. If DCL wants our repeat business, they have to compete with the bigger lines.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
PaceFamily
Wife and Grumpy

From my understanding, it has to do with a deal that Florida worked with Disney during the purchase of the land for WDW.
Disney Dream June 2011
WDW June 2010

PaceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Good question though. If you want to sell cruises last minute, why limit to just Florida residents. Open it up to the world.
That is what the *GT rates are doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagsMissy View Post
There have indeed been discounts for Canadians for Alaska cruises out of Vancouver.
They have offered discounts for Canadians for cruises out of PC as well.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
rcchello
DIS Veteran

If you search in the archives you can find at least two DCL discounts aimed at the west coast and there may have been more. One was a discount for Disneyland AP owners. Another was a 25% discount for residents of Southern California, which probably has as many or more residents as Florida.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Fantasy Eastern

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Yup, it is frustrating to find discounts for West Coast peeps. I have many friends and coworkers who would LOVE to go on a Disney cruise but can't primariy becuase of location of the cruises, length, cost,etc... For expample, in September, for a family of four to do a 3 night cruise on the Dream, flying from the West coast to MCO, it's at least $1600 in airfare, $1800 in cruise fare, so far that's $3400, not including incidentals. If I lived Florida, I would love to drive from my home to Port Canaveral and hop on a ship.

If DCL was to be more agressive with West Coast discounts, and have more Disney peeps try out DCL here, now that would be awesome. I hope Disney tries harder for us peeps out here. There's plenty who would love to go on a Disney cruise!!!

And I don't know why DCL doesn't and hasn't given discounts to Northern California peeps... Need more here please!!! We know you read these boards...

peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's, and even then it's probably only a small portion that waits for them. I think most folks here buy what they want, early.

The post above that mentions a deal with WDW sounds reasonable, why else only one state with a majority of senior citizens retired on golf courses?

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Most cruise lines offer special deals for local residents. Most of these are thought of as last minute ways for the cruise to fill up empty cabins. New Jersey residents get them for cruises out of the NJ and some NYC ports. We do not get them for the sames cruiselines out of any other ports.

Bob
OKW - SSR

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchello View Post
Most cruise lines offer special deals for local residents. Most of these are thought of as last minute ways for the cruise to fill up empty cabins. New Jersey residents get them for cruises out of the NJ and some NYC ports. We do not get them for the sames cruiselines out of any other ports.
But why?

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #24
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Cruise lines want to fill up ships with each cabin going for as high a price as possible.

1) They will try to sell out the ship with no discounts.

2) if that doesn't work they will try the lowest number of discounts ( prior cruisers, local residents, *GT pricing, military).

3) if they do not think that will not work, they try indirect fare cuts - kids sail free, soft drinks/gratuities included ( non disney), discounted airfare etc.

4) they will then try limited time sales or have a sale for particularly bad selling cruises.

5) when things are really going bad (economy, boat sank, 911) cruiselines go to across the board discounts or specials. I remember where Disney offered a free 3 day cruise with the purchase of a longer cruise - don't remember the details.

Bob
OKW - SSR

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes
I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's, and even then it's probably only a small portion that waits for them. I think most folks here buy what they want, early.

The post above that mentions a deal with WDW sounds reasonable, why else only one state with a majority of senior citizens retired on golf courses?
I know your post mainly refers to GTY, but we just booked VGTs this yr because that's all the ship had..we had never heard of DISboard. There are plenty booking sales rates too.

In general, I also support helping local FL families get to try out the Mouse they live close to. Its like living on the coast and only rich families getting to go to the beach. Thank goodness for state owned beaches! I think it helps a lot and not just old retirees. I want to move to Pensacola area which is still 8 hrs away but still benefits from FL Resident rate. I can definitely attest to the fact that there are many many low economy families in FL who would otherwise prob never get to go. I like it.

I know other states have plenty of low income families too. But Disney doesn't have to offer sales but I'm glad they do. Sometimes its an eat free special, sometimes a *gt rate, sometime FLR. I do think they negotiated it with the state (prob some kind of tax thing) so who knows maybe they do have to but either way, I still think its great.

Its still my dream to move back to the coast and live in the FL border... Siiiigghhhh KY.... If I could, I'd work at a Disney store and have employee discounts but we don't have any of those either!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
Seamama
Mouseketeer

thanks

Thanks, everyone. I was just curious and there were a lot of good explanations and theories here. I just wish there were more options (deals, shorter cruises, etc.) for the West Coasters... sigh.
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Lita
Mouseketeer

Quote:

There must be a bit more of a reason
Exactly! There are many of us that live in border states (i.e. GA) that can also drive to FL very easily.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DL - numerous times as I grew up in CA
WDW - CBR 97, Poly May 2013
DCL - Dream April 2014
DCL - Fantasy August Eastern Caribbean 2015

Me 40 DH 48, DD7, DD5
Lita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #28
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's,
GTY rooms are not discounted. I believe you mean *GT rates, which are heavily discounted and non-refundable or transferable.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
There were billboards in Sacramento when the Wonder was sailing out of CA. But, no discounts
I don't remember any here. Whee did you see them?

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #30
neg58
DIS Veteran

FL residents get breaks on park passes too, but they are to fill up the parks in the off season or slow times. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon after 2 pm. M-F passes. Season passes with summer and holidays blocked out. It draws us down to Orlando, gets us to spend money, and fills the parks. It's called marketing, people. If we want 365 day passes, we pay the same as everyone else. If we want a one day pass in the summer, same as everyone else.

I live about 2.5 hours from the park. I could go there and buy a one day pass but I wouldn't. One day passes are 100 bucks! I can buy a session pass, but I really don't want to go that much. The pass we like is the 3-4 day Florida pass, available in the spring. I might go for one or two days, spend some money, and it is enough for me. I'm not going to go to Disney for an 8 day vacation, spend $200/night for a room and another $1000 on food, parking, etc. I'm just not going to do it. Disney can offer me the 3-4 day pass for $100-150 and they make that, plus food and parking, but otherwise I'm just going to stay away. Are people from Chicago going to come for 1 day or 7 days? They get the break on the 7 day pass rate that I'd never buy because I don't want to go 7 days in a row. Also, Universal offers better Florida rates, as does Sea World. Disney needs to compete for our Florida dollars. Most of the high school kids around here have Universal passes.

For the cruises, same thing. We have lots of choices. I can sail out of Jacksonville on Carnival and save the gas, parking, and hassle. Not as good as DCL, but also thousands and thousands cheaper. If there are Florida rates, then it's only hundreds cheaper and I'll decide it is worth the extra $200 to do DCL.

Just marketing. The Florida rates don't support the ship, but are only offered for 'filler' rates, usually limited to 50 per category per cruise. DCL needs the bulk of the cruise to be people paying full rate. In California, I don't think there was enough interest to fill the cabins at the full rate consistently, so sailing from there wasn't profitable.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: