Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
Seamama
Mouseketeer

FL discounts- why no W. Coast ones?

I've noticed there are often FL discounts to cruise and I was just wondering who offers those and why? I've heard DCL has a hard time selling the W. Coast cruises and just wondered why there aren't discounts for those folks- surely that would help entice them to book...
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

The only offer Florida Resident rates for cruises originating out of Florida...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Seamama
Mouseketeer

Yes but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
The only offer Florida Resident rates for cruises originating out of Florida...
Yes but I'm trying to figure out why. Who offers them? DCL? The state of FL? The local tourism board? I'm just wondering why this exists and why it's not offered for people living in California or British Columbia.
Seamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
tinkerone
DIS Veteran

I could be wrong but I do believe I have seen Canadian res rates. i'm sure of it. they have just never worked for me. maybe someone else will jump in here.
tinkerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I've seen some discounts for British Columbians for the Alaskan cruises, usually at the beginning and end of the season. They probably aren't advertised at all in the United States.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Because the point of resident rates is to offer last minute discounts to locals who can easily take advantage (read: don't necessarily have to fly).

They HAVE had Canadian resident rates as recently as this summer. A quick search shows rates were available on June 24th, at 25% off using the code CAN for the September 2nd Alaska sailing. Believe there were some NY resident rates for the cruises originating out of NYC in the past as well. I am unaware if there were ever California resident rates for the cruises out of LA.

It has nothing to do with the tourism board. It's just a last minute marketing effort by Disney Cruise Line.

Having last minute resident rates is not the aim of the cruise line, they are discounted rates that they shouldn't be relying on for their bread and butter. The cruises out of LA didn't sell well because people had increasing concerns about the safety of the ports. Also, Disney didn't do the best job of marketing the fact that they were in the area to locals. I know many who had no idea DCL was there at all. Even "Disney people".

Last edited by cris0809; 08-02-2013 at 02:33 AM.
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

in 2005 when DCL first brought the Magic out to LA for Disneyland's 50th anniversary, there were some Florida rates offered to Floridians to help fill the Magic in California, but no California rates :
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
in 2005 when DCL first brought the Magic out to LA for Disneyland's 50th anniversary, there were some Florida rates offered to Floridians to help fill the Magic in California, but no California rates :
How crazy ! No wonder DCL didn't do well here. Poor marketing
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
How crazy ! No wonder DCL didn't do well here. Poor marketing
Yes, I found it very interesting that when I was talking to CMs at Disneyland about our cruises on the Wonder, they had no idea there was a Disney cruise ship in LA. So if even their own employees don't know about it, I would say they had an epic fail in marketing to the West Coast
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Good question though. If you want to sell cruises last minute, why limit to just Florida residents. Open it up to the world.

There must be a bit more of a reason

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
plumeriainseattle
Mouseketeer

When DCL was sailing out of Seattle for Alaska cruises, they did have last minute WA resident rates. But, as a previous poster pointed out, these rates are to put bodies on the ship, not to benefit residents. It's basic sales...get people in for cheap and they will spend money! Not to mention that each sailing is a perishable commodity: if people aren't booked once the boat leaves port, DCL never has a chance to increase the number on that sailing again.
plumeriainseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post

Yes, I found it very interesting that when I was talking to CMs at Disneyland about our cruises on the Wonder, they had no idea there was a Disney cruise ship in LA. So if even their own employees don't know about it, I would say they had an epic fail in marketing to the West Coast
I live here and when the ships were here I never saw an advertisement. Sad.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
silence
Missin' Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
I live here and when the ships were here I never saw an advertisement. Sad.
There were billboards in Sacramento when the Wonder was sailing out of CA. But, no discounts

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
alaskanabbott
DIS Veteran

I would love to see an Alaskan rate on Alaskan cruises- pretty much the only way I'd ever take it! If I'm cruising I want to live in my bathing suit
TR-THE WEEK OF YES!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2428215
GKTW-3/10 ASMO-2/11 Disney Wonder-2/12Disney Wonder-11/12Disney Magic-1/13
alaskanabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
TagsMissy
Counting down the days... It's not always easy being the wife of a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamama View Post
Yes but I'm trying to figure out why. Who offers them? DCL? The state of FL? The local tourism board? I'm just wondering why this exists and why it's not offered for people living in California or British Columbia.
There have indeed been discounts for Canadians for Alaska cruises out of Vancouver.
79-95 Numerous Disneyland Trips/98 POFQ /08 POR/09 POR, SSR/AKV Kidani & BLT/11 BWV & BLT/12 Aulani & Disneyland Club 33/13 DL Club 33/Wonder & BLT/BWV/14 AKV Jambo/VWL & DL Friend's Wedding Celebration & perhaps some 33 lovin' /15 DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean & BLT/GFV

TagsMissy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: