Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
disneywishesmom
Earning My Ears

Family Suites ???

I am currently booked at AoA in December but can save 500+ dollars by switching to the all star music resort. Is the newness of AoA worth that much extra? Opinions please.
disneywishesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
mom2cgj
Mouseketeer

I think it depends a lot on your likes/dislikes. We stayed at AoA in January in LK suite, and absolutely loved it. My kids have already decided that we are doing a Cars suite next time!

We are huge fans of LK, Cars, and Nemo, so the theming is perfect for our family. Plus my daughter loved the LM pool (we can't stay there with 5 of us, but could use the pool). For us, the extra $ is worth it for the theme, and we loved the choices at the AoA food court. We just wouldn't have been as happy with AsMu - just not our thing. If you are just as happy with the theme at AsMu, it may not be worth it for you to AoA.

AoA Cars - Jan. 2015 - Pre Trip Report:There's No Such Thing As Too Much Planning!

AoA Lion King - Jan. 2013 5 Newbies Visit the World!!
mom2cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
M&E
Mouseketeer

Do you have really young kids? I believe AoA has a zero entry pool and a splash area. To me that is a huge bonus for little ones.
M&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
DJWMom
Mouseketeer

It depends on how important saving that $500 is to you. I looked into the all stars resorts, knowing they were cheaper but decided to go with AoA for the themeing. None of the AS resorts really appealed to us for themes, and since this is a first visit for all three of our kids, I decided to go for the wow factor of AoA.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
EpcotBill
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywishesmom View Post
I am currently booked at AoA in December but can save 500+ dollars by switching to the all star music resort. Is the newness of AoA worth that much extra? Opinions please.
It's not worth $500 unless money means nothing to you.
EpcotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
disneywishesmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&E View Post
Do you have really young kids? I believe AoA has a zero entry pool and a splash area. To me that is a huge bonus for little ones.
Yes have a 5 year old DS and my DD will be almost 2. However, our trip is in December so I don't know how much swimming we will be able to do.
disneywishesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
danikerr
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I am in same exact situation for November! We are booked at AoA but since free dining is not being offered, we are considering switching to All Star Music. It will save us $600. We have stayed at All Star Music in the past and loved it, just thought we would try the new resort this time around. I'm really thinking of changing reservation as we don't spend much time in the room and we only spent about 1/2 day at the pool. Is AoA worth an additional $600.00? Please let me know. I'm so torn!!!!!
danikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

I think if your heart is set on a resort and you are ok with the cost, then do it. If you are just happy to be at WDW, then save the money.

Look at all the pictures of both resorts. Do you like the rooms? Do you like the pool? Think about your transportation from both. Will you eat at your resort?

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
tennessee
Mouseketeer

save the money and stay a day longer. You wont be using the pool much in Dec, and will be in the park most of the time. I don't like the food court a aoa. don't get me wrong, its a nice resort and love the cars theme. They did a good job, but the rooms are the same except I do like the key pads safes they have there. We have just as much fun at any of the value resorts. For us we stay at the parks a lot or sleep in late and enjoy the pool and go to parks in evening hours.
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We haven't stayed at AoA suites, but we've done ASMu twice. From photos, I prefer the layout of ASMu. There is a large living room, two real closet areas, a nice kitchenette separate from the living space and plenty of room to spread out at ASMu with a larger couch and chair. AoA has 3 living spaces vs. 2 for ASmu. AoA also has the kitchenette right in the living room, and a small closet that looks like a high school locker. AoA does have a nicer dining table with room to sit and eat vs. the small round table with only two chairs.

For the lower price and more space to spread out in one room, I'd vote for ASMu.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran

My family stayed at ASMu Family Suites 2 years ago. It was terrific! I'm sure AOA has amazing theming, which is great....but is it worth $600 ? I love Simba,but not $600 worth. Just wanted to let you know that the ASMu suite is really nice.

ASMo -1999, POP -2006, DLR - 2007, ASMo -2008, ASMu -2009, BCV - 2010, CSR - 2011, POFQ - 2012, BC - 2012, WL / CR - 2013 POR - 2014, POP! - 2014 POFQ - 2014 SO Blessed !
DWillowBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
ryjaxaddie
Earning My Ears

We are also looking between the two and have never stayed at either. I decided to go with the ASMU. Last year we stayed at POP and crossed the bridge over to AoA to check it out. Remember, if your kids are fans, you can still walk the grounds and get the WOW factor of AoA (minus the rooms). The only thing they couldn't do was go in the pool.... and it was a pretty great pool. ASMU does have a little more flexibility with beds, so our 3 won't have to decide who is sharing... they all get their own bed. We also ate at the AoA food court while we were visiting.... nothing impressive. Unless you really want the experience that the actual rooms have to offer, I would save the money and go tour the outside of the AoA one morning or evening. It is really pretty. No matter what, the trip will be wonderful.
ryjaxaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

I only stayed in AoA, and I admit it will be hard to stay anywhere else in the futur. We loved almost everything about it (the food court is a mess). I had the stay-play-dine offer AND a pin code free dining, so it was rather nice.

We had the Lion King suite and it was perfect for us.

But 500$ is a lot of money...

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
ssreward
Earning My Ears

Quote:
If the only factor is newness: I think I'd say it's not worth it. I was also way unimpressed by their food court and don't know if you'd really get $500 worth of enjoyment out of the pool in Dec. Unless you really, really love the *room* decorations, my vote is saving the $$ and stopping by to check it out

ETA: I do have to admit: I stayed in LM and have vowed never to return unless it's to a suite and without dining plan. There's no way I'm enduring that hike again & I spent the whole trip driving to Pop's food court, lol!
ssreward is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: