Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
CasandraC
Earning My Ears

Universal Hotel and transportation suggestions

I have been trying to find a hotel around Universal Studios. We will only be staying one night then heading to Disneyland. We are flying into LAX in the morning, planning to head to the park, stay the night, maybe do the park again or just head to Disneyland. We got really good deals for 2 days at Universal ($60), so if we spend one or two days it won't matter. We're kind of playing it by ear. We won't have a car so I don't want to stay too far from Universal and have to pay for a cab or get lost on the bus. Does anyone know of a good place to stay within walking distance or an easy metro ride?

Also, if anyone knows of something other than a cab or super shuttle to take to Disneyland I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't seem to find anything else that provides transportation. Most places are only round trip from Disneyland to Universal and back.
CasandraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
chabelita545
Mouseketeer

We have the same itinerary and are staying at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn (aka Holiday Inn Universal Studios). It is a tad pricey but so is everything else close to Universal except for the roach motels. The Bev. Garland looks lovely and has a free shuttle to USH. There are two hotels right next door to USH (Hilton and Sherton, I think); both are more expensive and didn't get as high reviews on tripadvisor as the BGHI. But both also have free shuttles.

Unlike DLR, there aren't as many across the street options. Hope this helps!
Disneyland, CA -August '13, August '11, March '10, August '07, May '06, May '05, February '02 (first time as a mom), New Year's Eve '97, July '90, Thanksgiving '89, September '89, as a kid in '86, '81, '74, '73, '72
DisneyWorld and Cruise on the Disney Magic (Bahamas) - January '09
chabelita545 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Ryan120420
Mouseketeer

There are two on property Hotels at Universal that are walking distance from the park. Universal Sheraton and Universal Hilton.

http://www.sheratonuniversal.com/

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/cal...CHF/index.html

These Hotels are also walking distance from the Universal City Redline Subway Station.

As for getting to Disneyland from Universal, it is really easy using public transit.

Take LA Metro Redline (subway) heading to Union Station. Get off at Pershing Square station. Go up to Street level and take LA Metro 460 to Disneyland.

The 460 will pick you up on 5th Street between Olive and Hill Streets, and will drop you off right at Disneyland underneath the monorail beam on Harbor Boulevard.

Price: $5.40 per person.

LA Metro Time Tables and Maps:

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/
Ryan120420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Tkeaves1
Earning My Ears

I'm also trying to find other means of transportation from USH to DLR... I'm not sure the public transit route would be viable with luggage
Tkeaves1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
aidensmom31
Obsessed Disney Fan

U could check with a shuttle company like Super Shuttle (not sure if they do this) or a town car service??? Not sure there are any other options.

aidensmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
theluckyrabbit
DIS Veteran

There are threads for hotels in Hollywood and by USH in the Southern California forum. Lots of hotels listed there.
theluckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Ryan120420
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeaves1 View Post
I'm also trying to find other means of transportation from USH to DLR... I'm not sure the public transit route would be viable with luggage

Instead of taking the 460 to Disneyland, go to Union Station and take either MetroLink or Amtrak train to Fullerton. From there connect to OCTA 43 or 543 to Disenyland.

It will be more expensive, but it will be far more comfortable with luggage.

MetroLink:

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/sched...e_id/1152.html

OCTA: 43 and 543

http://www.octa.net/eBusbookJune2013/
Ryan120420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #8
Disneylovers2000
DIS Veteran

We used Lux Bus. It is a great service.
Disneylovers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
CasandraC
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the information. I was considering public transportation. I don't mind the extra time. It's not like we are in a rush to get anywhere. We took the busses all over Thailand (and they weren't first class), I can survive a bus trip thru L.A. I'll check the other threads for hotels. It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of options really, so I'll probably just toss a coin and pick one. Thanks again!
CasandraC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: