Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
pascagoulabeach
"Doc"

Booking direct vs travel agent

Are there any advantages to booking direct with DCL vs a travel agent?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

No, no advantage to booking direct with DCL instead of a TA.

However, there is a disadvantage to booking direct - you miss out on any On Board Credit the TA may offer.
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Booking through a TA may give you an on-board booking credit depending on which TA you use. Your TA can come in handy (if you completely trust who you are dealing with) to help in any situations (i.e. plane cancellations, etc).

The one advantage of booking direct is that you have complete control without having to go to someone else. In this, you can make any changes to your reservation (i.e. move it, make payments direct on line, etc). When you book through a TA, you have to have them make all the changes.

The exception is that you still have the control (once you are paid in full) of making your excursion reservations, booking your Palo and spa reservations, etc. And you still have to complete the check in process.

It comes down to how much of a control freak you are. I just recently started using a TA (someone that I've gotten to know and trust). My first seven cruises were booked direct and since I booked on board I got my 10% off and OBC on the last six.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just to be clear, there are two different OBC you may be eligible for when rebooking on board. DCL will offer their own OBC. You can also specify a TA when you rebook on board and qualify for that TA's OBC credit offer.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
drb116
Mouseketeer

Disney doesn't always release all the rooms to the travel agents, so if there is a specific room that you want, you either need to call the travel agent or book online through Disney.

I always find it easier to book online, so if I am after a specific room and I can't find it through my travel agent's site, I will just book on Disney and then transfer the reservation to my travel agent. My agent gives me the same benefit regardless of whether I book initially through them or transfer later.

It may sound like a small thing, but if you are booking a B2B and want to have the same room for both cruises, you may only find the room available on Disney's site.
drb116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Just to be clear, there are two different OBC you may be eligible for when rebooking on board. DCL will offer their own OBC. You can also specify a TA when you rebook on board and qualify for that TA's OBC credit offer.
Yes. On our last cruise we received $200 from the TA, and $200 from rebooking on board. I've never felt a lack of control using a TA; it's o.k. having a pro do the leg work for us. Not all bookings are complicated, but our TA has handled some tough issues for us, especially when we've traveled as a group of up to 48.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
True - I forgot to note that my OBC was from booking and not from a TA.

OP, if you elect to use a TA, check around and find one that you can trust (a lot of people love Dreams Unlimited and I've heard the service is well above reproach). You have to feel comfortable since you are trusting them with your somewhat expensive vacation! Also, check that your TA might offer something as not all TA's offer an on board credit (although many TA's specializing in Disney do).

Obviously having an extra on board credit is great but ultimately you need to make the decision that gives you the most comfort. Regardless of how you book, book it and you'll have a fabulous time!!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb116 View Post
Disney doesn't always release all the rooms to the travel agents, so if there is a specific room that you want, you either need to call the travel agent or book online through Disney.

I always find it easier to book online, so if I am after a specific room and I can't find it through my travel agent's site, I will just book on Disney and then transfer the reservation to my travel agent. My agent gives me the same benefit regardless of whether I book initially through them or transfer later.

It may sound like a small thing, but if you are booking a B2B and want to have the same room for both cruises, you may only find the room available on Disney's site.
I don't know where you get this info but in 14 Disney cruises, my TA has had access to any cabin I could otherwise get by booking direct through DCL.

I feel it's actually easier to have a TA handle things. It doesn't matter to me whether I ask my TA to make a change, or ask DCL to make the change. It's the same amount of effort on my part either way.
I find the best part about having a TA is that when I book a dummy date onboard then later want to move it to a wanted date, I can just email her a few days before DCL releases their dates. I'm very specific of which cabin we like, early dining, etc and it's never a problem. So on the first day of release instead of spending an hour on hold with DCL, I simply come home from work & check my email to see my new reservation.
She gives us $200/cabin and on the classic ships (where cat 4s are very expensive & not so plentiful) we now get 2 cabins. $400 is worth giving up "control" for me.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by drb116 View Post
I looked at the available rooms on the Expedia website and then called Costco to book a certain room. They refund about 9% of your cruise fare by sending you a cash card when you return.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: