Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
curlimommy
Earning My Ears

2.5 year old in oceaneers club?

We are planning on a 7 night Fantasy cruise with dd 2.5 and ds 5. I've read some reports of 2.5 year olds allowed in oceaneers club if potty trained. My daughter is just shy of 2 now and almost fully potty trained. She's constantly wanting to be with her big brother and I worry she may be bored in nursery bc she's quite independent already. I know DCL website says 3, but just wondering if anyone has any experiences or input with the "almost three" issue and oceaneers club.
curlimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
PolyLover
Mouseketeer

If they allow her one concern might be how crowded it can get. In the evenings it is REALLY crowded to the point that it was chaos. If you have an older sibling that could keep tabs on her that might be good. It shouldn't be that way being that its "childcare" but my experience on the Dream might be overwhelming for a little one in the evenings. Not as busy during the day.
2002 Poly, 2004 CBR/Poly, 2005 Poly, 2006 Poly,2007 Poly , 2008 Poly, 2009 Disney Wonder/Poly, 2010 Poly/WL, 2011 Disney Dream, AKL, HGVC, 2012 Poly/YC, 2012 CSR
Jan 3 -7 2013 POLYNESIAN,Spring Break/Easter 2013: CSR, HGVC, AKL Aug 2013 AKL, Oct 2013 Poly Club, March 2014 Poly

PolyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlimommy View Post
We are planning on a 7 night Fantasy cruise with dd 2.5 and ds 5. I've read some reports of 2.5 year olds allowed in oceaneers club if potty trained. My daughter is just shy of 2 now and almost fully potty trained. She's constantly wanting to be with her big brother and I worry she may be bored in nursery bc she's quite independent already. I know DCL website says 3, but just wondering if anyone has any experiences or input with the "almost three" issue and oceaneers club.
She may or may not be allowed. In most cases a 2 year old might be given a trial run. If it goes well, then she's in. If the number of 3-12 year olds on board your cruise is the maximum allowed in the Club/Lab, she probably won't be allowed in.

Fulyl potty trained in Disney-speak means able to recognize she needs to use the toilet, able to undress, use toilet, re-dress, and wash hands without any assistance. Club CMs are not allowed to "help" in any way.

I will also point out that the probability of older, larger kids running in the Club/Lab, knocking over smaller kids is always there. Are you comfortable with that?

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Typically they need to be closer to their 3rd birthday. It doesn't mean they won't allow it, but most of the time it is within a month of their birthday.

My DD was potty trained last summer on our Canada cruise at 27 months and I didn't even ask if she could do the club as I knew she was too little (she is very tiny for her age). In March she was 6 weeks away from her 3rd birthday and they gave her a band and let her join. She didn't want to stay long on the occasions she did go. She much preferred to stay with me. It had the effect I wanted though in that she had the option to go to the club with her sister so it was her choice not to go. If she was told she was too little she would have wanted to go everytime I dropped her sister off.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
curlimommy
Earning My Ears

I'm leaning toward putting her in nursery if we need to in evenings bc of the potential crowding issue. I just thought it would be nice to let her play in there with her brother for an hour or so during the day. I expect by January she will have fully mastered all aspects of potty on her own. I don't plan on leaving them in there longer than an hour or two at a time anyways...

Glad I can at least ask and that it may be an option. Thanks for input!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

If she uses the nursery they will not let her in the club and the other way around. If she gets a Mickey Band for the club she will not have the ability to go to the nursery any more. You will have to choose.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
Old 07-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
curlimommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Typically they need to be closer to their 3rd birthday. It doesn't mean they won't allow it, but most of the time it is within a month of their birthday.

My DD was potty trained last summer on our Canada cruise at 27 months and I didn't even ask if she could do the club as I knew she was too little (she is very tiny for her age). In March she was 6 weeks away from her 3rd birthday and they gave her a band and let her join. She didn't want to stay long on the occasions she did go. She much preferred to stay with me. It had the effect I wanted though in that she had the option to go to the club with her sister so it was her choice not to go. If she was told she was too little she would have wanted to go everytime I dropped her sister off.
That's a great point. She will be 27 months almost 28. But she is TALL. Many ask if she is almost three already. She's also mighty with a huge personally. She has no problem holding her own with her big brother and her friends. I just worry about tantrums if she isn't allowed. And always asking for her big brother when he's in there without her.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm leaning toward putting her in nursery if we need to in evenings bc of the potential crowding issue. I just thought it would be nice to let her play in there with her brother for an hour or so during the day. I expect by January she will have fully mastered all aspects of potty on her own. I don't plan on leaving them in there longer than an hour or two at a time anyways...

Glad I can at least ask and that it may be an option. Thanks for input!!!!
You will be able to take her into the Club/Lab for Open House. They have Open House in either the Club or Lab for and hour or 2, once or twice a day. During those times, anyone can participate (but your kids will need to have one of you there - they can't go alone).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
curlimommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
If she uses the nursery they will not let her in the club and the other way around. If she gets a Mickey Band for the club she will not have the ability to go to the nursery any more. You will have to choose.
Oh I didn't know this....thanks for that info!!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
grubbsjj
Earning My Ears

My son is working on potty training, and we are cruising in October. He is 26 months. I can pre register this week for everything. If I pre register for kids club, can I use the nursery if he doesn't fully grasp the potty by cruise time? Will I even be able to pre register if he is only 2?
grubbsjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbsjj View Post
My son is working on potty training, and we are cruising in October. He is 26 months. I can pre register this week for everything. If I pre register for kids club, can I use the nursery if he doesn't fully grasp the potty by cruise time? Will I even be able to pre register if he is only 2?
You won't be able to preregister for the kids club if they are less than 3 (even by a couple of days). You will only be able to preregister for the nursery. You can reserve time at the nursery and then decide to try to change on board. At anything less than 34 months I don't think they would let you move at all.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I have heard some people who have taken their kid to the club and if they weren't working out they move them to the nursery so this isn't necessarily the case. I think DIS does it's best to keep you happy so they're pretty accommodating.

If you want to try it, the best thing to do is ask when you get there. I know it doesn't allow for much planning (which annoys me) but it comes down to what the CM's feel like at the time. I've heard under 3yo's working out and I've heard it not work out. It never hurts to ask tho
Old 07-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
LynseyK
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Oh I didn't know this....thanks for that info!!!!
I did not run across the issue with my almost 3 year old on the fantasy and I just went in May. My son went into the nursery most nights then one night I was dropping off my oldest and my youngest wanted to go in an the oceaneers club people asked how old he was I said and they said he was more than welcome to come in. So they printed Him a band he went in an played and then the next day went back to the nursery.
LynseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

She may or may not be allowed. In most cases a 2 year old might be given a trial run. If it goes well, then she's in. If the number of 3-12 year olds on board your cruise is the maximum allowed in the Club/Lab, she probably won't be allowed in.

Fulyl potty trained in Disney-speak means able to recognize she needs to use the toilet, able to undress, use toilet, re-dress, and wash hands without any assistance. Club CMs are not allowed to "help" in any way.

I will also point out that the probability of older, larger kids running in the Club/Lab, knocking over smaller kids is always there. Are you comfortable with that?
I agree...I personally would be a nervous wreck. 7 yrs olds and 3(let alone 2.5) is a BIG difference.
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
Jalynn11
Earning My Ears

Last June on the Dream they allowed my son (2 years & 9 months at the time) into the Oceaneers club. He was fully potty trained and has his 2 older brothers that he follows everywhere. Before accepting him they quizzed him on a few questions, just making sure he wasn't overly shy. He had a great time

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: