Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
StitchyPoo81
Cant get enough of DisneyWorld

First time disney cruisers

I'm planning on booking our 4 day 3 night cruise on the disney dream in August 2014. I'm going over these boards and holy crap it's alt of info. I need help on what to do when I book this cruise.
Do I make dinner ressies or do they make them for you?
Do I need to make ressies for any activities ahead of time ?
Is it cheaper to rent a car or to take the disney transportation from hotel to cruise then cruise to disney hotel ?
I've been to Nassau before and I know my kids will love seeing the crystal blue water and the fishes swimming but do u think its worth it to take them to the blue lagoon to interact with the dolphins ?
Do u think a travel agent will help me with any questions I have?
I know there is a lot to do and most likely we will have to rebook another cruise I just want to make my 3 kids happy. Also is there stuff for a 17month and I'm guessing I would have to pay for him to go into the daycare because there are no clubs for him

Any help or suggestions would be awesome. We know every tip and tricks for DisneyWorld just not the cruise
Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Weedy
DIS Veteran

My answers will be in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchyPoo81 View Post
I'm planning on booking our 4 day 3 night cruise on the disney dream in August 2014. I'm going over these boards and holy crap it's alt of info. I need help on what to do when I book this cruise.
You will be assigned one of the 3 dining rooms each night. You will need to pick early 5:45 or late 8:15. You will get your dining rotation the day you board the ship
There are lots of things to do on the ship that don't require a reservation. For example all the shows, they will have events like towel folding. The kids clubs for kids over 3 don't require a reservation.
But if you want to do a port adventure or need the nursury for kids under 3 you will need a reservation.

Is it cheaper to rent a car or to take the disney transportation from hotel to cruise then cruise to disney hotel ?
[COLOR="red"]It depends on how many people you have. Disney transportation is $35 perperson.
I've been to Nassau before and I know my kids will love seeing the crystal blue water and the fishes swimming but do u think its worth it to take them to the blue lagoon to interact with the dolphins ? It's great!! Is this a once in a life time trip?? I say go for it.
Do u think a travel agent will help me with any questions I have

Here is a link for the Disbaord page that can answer a lot of questions
scroll down a little
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise...first-time.htm

Try this book
http://www.amazon.com/PassPorters-Di...=vglnkc5948-20

I know there is a lot to do and most likely we will have to rebook another cruise I just want to make my 3 kids happy. Also is there stuff for a 17month and I'm guessing I would have to pay for him to go into the daycare because there are no clubs for him

There is a nursery for the 17 month old. Reservations are required and there is a cost.

To use the pools kids have to be potty trained. But there is a great splash area available.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome. We know every tip and tricks for DisneyWorld just not the cruise
Hope this helps. Ask away if you any more questions.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For adult dining (Palo/Remy, yes you make reservations. For regular dinner seatings, you will select either Main (early) or Late seating.

Any excursions you want to be sure that you do, adult dining, nursery hours (if necessary), spa sessions, you will make reservations ahead of time.

DCL transportation costs $35.00 per person each way. It depends on how many of you there are whether this is cheaper or a rental car would be cheaper.

I've been to Nassau before and I know my kids will love seeing the crystal blue water and the fishes swimming but do u think its worth it to take them to the blue lagoon to interact with the dolphins ?
Never done dolphins. Personally, I never will.

That's what they're paid for.

The nursery onboard costs $6.00 per hour. You can book a maximum number of hours precruise. Any additional time you need, if there is availability, you can book onboard. The nursery does have toys and activities for the little ones.

My responses in red. Any other questions, just ask away.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

First of all BREATH!!!

Remember most people on these boards are over planners (I want to use the word zealot, but don't want to offend anyone)

Really at a minimum all you need to do is book your cruise, and show up with proper ID (passport is best), credit card (easiest form of payment), and clothes, toiletries and meds.

[i]Nope, you will be assigned a dinning rotation and time. If you want early dining (usually starts between 5:30 and 6:00 you need to request that at the time you book your cruise or modify it afterward. Second seating usually starts between 8:00 and 8:30). Regardless you will have a reserved seat for each member of your party at dinner.

Only if you want to do a DCL shore excursion. The "popular" ones frequently sell out. I don't know what those ones are. You can book or cancel a shore excursion up to 3 days before sailing. You will not be charged for it until you board the ship. Once the 3 day before departure date arrive, any excursions you have pre booked are committed - there's no backing out. On Castaway Cay - do NOT pre book float mats / tubes. They have thousands of them and if you decide that you want one, you can walk up and rent one on the spot.

Depends upon how many people. With 3 kids, it probably would be worth avoiding the hassle and let DCL take you to the port and deal with your luggage.

I don't know - never did a dolphin excursion or visit the blue lagoon. Depending upon the ages of your kiddos, they might like staying onboard and playing in the pool(s) with much less crowds.

The Right One can be a help, most will not be much help. Better info here on the DIS!! (we are zealots remember

I know there is a lot to do and most likely we will have to rebook another cruise I just want to make my 3 kids happy.
All it costs you to book onboard is the "reduced" down payment. You don't even need to know when you want to take the next cruise - book a "phantom cruise" as far out as they will and then you can change it later!!

Also is there stuff for a 17month and I'm guessing I would have to pay for him to go into the daycare because there are no clubs for him
Yep, Flounder's Nursery is the place for the under 3years set and carries an hourly charge.

Like I said above, don't sweat this, it's not that hard or complicated. For first timers it can seem overwhelming - especially when reading about all of the ressies people want to make and the "perfection" they are looking for / trying to create. The Magic of a Disney cruise is NOT a checklist / scavenger hunt, it is your first hand experience. It comes to you! You can help the process by having a good time and enjoying what you are doing - and NOT worrying about what you are not doing or missing. The Magic will find you!!

Relax and Enjoy!!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
StitchyPoo81
Cant get enough of DisneyWorld

I was getting scared when I see all these posts about the DCL I don't want to miss all the great stuff but you guys just made me feel a lot better knowing its not really that complicated. I have a year to research. Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
TinkGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was getting scared when I see all these posts about the DCL I don't want to miss all the great stuff but you guys just made me feel a lot better knowing its not really that complicated. I have a year to research. Thanks
Don 't let all this intimidate you. My sister's cruise was planned by a family member. Literally, all they did Was book a cc excursion and show up. They had a great time. She thinks I am funny with all my planning.

January 2014 - OKW/SSR, feb 2015: princess run,
March 2015 Dream cruise
July 2013 - first cruise ever on Disney Dream
January 2013 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
June 2012 -Hard Rock Hotel Universal , Kidani Village, Bay Lake Tower
March 2011 - Hilton Head
June 2010 - Bay Lake Tower
BCV - 3/09, AKV - 6/08, SSR - 1/07, BWV - 6/06, SSR - 1/06, POR - 1/05, 1/04, 6/02, 6/00
Off-property - '91, '85, '77
TinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

My first suggestion would be to book a 4 night cruise. That extra sea day gives you time to check out the ship. Port days are go, go, go.

Second, be sure to book another cruise on-board. The discounts are great and you can move the cruise date without penalty. The down payment is less and you get OBC (on board credit) to use as you wish.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Rizzo1
Mouseketeer

About 4 years ago, we booked the dolphin excursion at the Blue Lagoon. What a good time that was! It was well worth the money. This is definitely an experience of a lifetime. I cannot remember for sure how much time was spent in the water with the dolphins, but it was a long time. Not too long, just enough.
The ride on the ferry/boat over was beautiful, too. If you get a chance to take part in this excursion, I would not pass this up. As a matter of fact, we are planning a cruise next summer and this will be an excursion we are planning on taking. The island is pretty, as well.
You can always google it and read about it, if you are interested.

Enjoy it and have fun!! No matter what excursion you book, I am sure you will enjoy it.

"I am so abundantly blessed! I am so freaking blessed!"
Robin Roberts
Rizzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Yay Blue Lagoon. We played with sea lions. I've seen dolphins at lots of ports, never seen sea lions until Nassau. Its a great port with something for everyone.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: