Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You can buy insurance based on estimated airfare. Or just buy what you want now, and add the airfare insurance later. We had insurance on our WBTA cruise (airfare was part of the DCL cost), later we added the Med cruise making it a B2B. We just called up insuremytrip and added the other cruise to our original plan.

Don't know the answer to the last question.
For many policies, if you want the pre-existing coverage exclusion waived, you MUST cover all non-refundable expenses. As a result, you will have to make sure you have sufficient coverage within a couple of weeks of buying your airfare or increase your coverage if you don't. So as PrincessShmoo says, you can add higher limits later, but DON'T FORGET! -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #17
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

First of all, thank you all who referred *****************. I gave them a call and got a quote, so now we're evaluating it.

Second, I could've sworn I read some where, likely here, that said something along the lines of it costing more the closer you get to your departure date. After talking to a rep at *****************, I figured out why. A large portion of it has to do with the whole pre-existing conditions waiver. With most policies, if you purchase your policy within 14 days of your initial trip payment, you get the waiver. Outside of that window, you don't qualify, or if you do, it's a HUGE increase to premiums. What the waiver does is it prevents the insurance company from looking into your medical history to look for a reason to deny your claim. If it comes to that, it can turn into a HUGE nightmarish headache as it's subjective to interpretation and you'll have to fight the insurance company on it. Then there's the job related cancellation clause. You can only purchase that if you get your insurance within 21 days of initial payment. There are a lot of things to consider. I had the rep give me a price quote for a policy that provides the pre-existing condition waiver and the premium was 246% more than without. It's a huge difference. Just something to think about. But to throw this into perspective, I don't believe Disney's policies provide pre-existing condition and job related cancellation coverage anyway, regardless of when you purchase the policy.

Another thing to consider is default coverage...for when the service provider goes out of business. I don't foresee that being an issue with DCL, but if you're booking your own excursions, that's something that'll need to be considered. They don't offer that coverage after a certain amount of time either.

With that said, those who went through ***************** what company ended up providing the policy with your trip? I know Disney uses Allianz and IMT also provided quotes through them, so that gives me a small sense of security but I found other companies are giving a better rate with better coverages.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

I was told by my travel agent when purchasing trip insurance that Disney wouldn't cancel the cruise for a hurricane. I find this hard to believe. However, a trip delay is a real possibility if flying in.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

Hmmm, HAS anyone here ever purchased insurance through Disney and has had to use it? I just went with that one since it was just really easy to check it off through their website with everything else, airfare, cruise, etc., LOL. I think that's what they hope for, don't they, people like me that don't want to think too much! Anyway, the policy seems to provide pretty good coverage but what do I know, I've never bought travel insurance before!
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Mommb
Mouseketeer

I purchased trip insurance from Disney for a Med cruise in 2011. I intended to find another company before I made the final payment, but didn't get around to it. I ended up being very happy I'd added Disney insurance at initial booking "just in case," because a month after final payment I had a serious and unforeseen medical issue that led to my doctor saying I should not travel.

The insurance company provided a complete refund of the cruise fare for me, my husband, and my kids (minus the cost of the insurance, of course). I just needed to send paperwork completed by my doctor showing that it was not a pre-existing condition, and receipts showing that I had paid for the cruise. It took maybe a month from the time I sent the documentation until I received a check.

Note that unless you book airfare through Disney, the Disney insurance will not reimburse for airline tickets if you need to cancel your trip. We had to work separately with the airline to get a refund.

I still think it would be better to book through a company that covers all travel expenses, not just the cruise, and id less expensive than the coverage booked through Disney, but if you do need to use the "Disney" policy for covered expenses, it should work.
Mommb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #21
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
First of all, thank you all who referred *****************. I gave them a call and got a quote, so now we're evaluating it.

Second, I could've sworn I read some where, likely here, that said something along the lines of it costing more the closer you get to your departure date. After talking to a rep at *****************, I figured out why. A large portion of it has to do with the whole pre-existing conditions waiver. With most policies, if you purchase your policy within 14 days of your initial trip payment, you get the waiver. Outside of that window, you don't qualify, or if you do, it's a HUGE increase to premiums. What the waiver does is it prevents the insurance company from looking into your medical history to look for a reason to deny your claim. If it comes to that, it can turn into a HUGE nightmarish headache as it's subjective to interpretation and you'll have to fight the insurance company on it. Then there's the job related cancellation clause. You can only purchase that if you get your insurance within 21 days of initial payment. There are a lot of things to consider. I had the rep give me a price quote for a policy that provides the pre-existing condition waiver and the premium was 246% more than without. It's a huge difference. Just something to think about. But to throw this into perspective, I don't believe Disney's policies provide pre-existing condition and job related cancellation coverage anyway, regardless of when you purchase the policy.

Another thing to consider is default coverage...for when the service provider goes out of business. I don't foresee that being an issue with DCL, but if you're booking your own excursions, that's something that'll need to be considered. They don't offer that coverage after a certain amount of time either.

With that said, those who went through ***************** what company ended up providing the policy with your trip? I know Disney uses Allianz and IMT also provided quotes through them, so that gives me a small sense of security but I found other companies are giving a better rate with better coverages.
If you made your deposit some time ago and still want a waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, tripinsurancestore.com sells a policy from CSA that is only a little more expensive than policies from other companies without the PEC waiver.

You must purchase it within 24 hours of making your final payment. You are not required to cover all nonrefundable expenses to get the waiver of the PEC exclusion.

If Costco was your travel agent, they sell a similar policy. -- Suzanne
Old 08-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
tweis
DIS Veteran

We bought Travel Guard Gold through www.*****************. We have purchased this policy before but so far, have never had to use it. This meets our needs, but again, what works for us may not work for you and your family. The cost of this policy for 2 adults and 2 kids (free) was $131.

SCHEDULE OF BENEFITS

All coverages are per person. MAXIMUM LIMIT

Trip Cancellation 100% of insured Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of insured Trip Cost
Trip Interruption-Return Air Only $750*
Trip Delay (Maximun of $150 per day) $750
Missed Connection $250
Baggage & Personal Effects Loss (secondary) $1,000
Baggage Delay $300
Medical Expenses (secondary) $25,000
Dental $500
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains $500,000
Accidental Death & Dismemberment $10,000**

Extra Coverage
(when coverage is purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment):

• Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver
• Trip Cancellation/Interruption due to Financial Default
• Medical Expense (Primary)
• $250 additional Missed Connection
• $50,000 Flight Guard®**

The following non-insurance services are provided by Travel Guard.

Travel Medical Assistance Included
Worldwide Travel Assistance Included
LiveTravel® Emergency Assistance Included
Concierge Services Included
Identity Theft Included
Business Assistant Included

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Company will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:
1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;
2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);
3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #23
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Fan View Post
I was told by my travel agent when purchasing trip insurance that Disney wouldn't cancel the cruise for a hurricane. I find this hard to believe. However, a trip delay is a real possibility if flying in.
So far I don't believe they have, instead they have just altered the route and destinations of the cruise.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #24
lpizzuro123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
I can tell you what we bought and what it covered. But, you will have to decide what you want to cover and find a policy for that. Insuremytrip is EASY and they have agents to answer questions on line for you right away.

We bought a policy to cover a $12,000 trip in 2010. We paid $180 for the poliicy. At the time, the biggest thing I wanted covered was emergency evacuation. I figured that my health insurance would cover the rest. And, of course, i wanted to be reimbursed if we had to cancel due to health of one of my family members.

We ended up having to leave the Disney cruise on day 4 of 7 when my son needed his appendix removed. The insurance company covered ALL of his medical costs (including his food and food for my husband at the hospital). They covered the rest of our family to stay in Mexico in a resort near the hospital. It covered my taxi costs back and forth between the resort and the hospital. They made the arrangements for us to get back to the US. They covered our visa fees, flights, taxi ride back to our house, and all the doctor bills from the cruise doctors. They also reimbursed us for 3/7 of the cost of the cruise plus a few other small things. Overall, they paid out over $48,000.

Things they did NOT cover - food for the rest of us while staying in Mexico while ds recovered. And, our phone bills back and forth from my husband to me. I tried to argue that they were to arrange transportation, but they didn't have it.

When we were with the doctors, the Disney staff was wonderful and they told us that very few insurance policies will cover the entire family to get off the ship. Usually they will cover the sick child and one parent. Can you imagine leaving your child in a foreign country while you continue on vacation? Anyway, we were lucky as ours did cover us (up to a certain dollar amount - I think it was 1.5x the cost of our trip - so they would have covered $18,000 for everything but the medical portion - that was separate).

I would write down the things you think you might need. Ask the questions of the agent and pick the right policy. It really should only take you about 20 minutes or so.
Can I ask what insurance you used?

Thanks,
Linda

lpizzuro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
We bought Travel Guard Gold through www.*****************. We have purchased this policy before but so far, have never had to use it. This meets our needs, but again, what works for us may not work for you and your family. The cost of this policy for 2 adults and 2 kids (free) was $131.

SCHEDULE OF BENEFITS

All coverages are per person. MAXIMUM LIMIT

Trip Cancellation 100% of insured Trip Cost
Trip Interruption 150% of insured Trip Cost
Trip Interruption-Return Air Only $750*
Trip Delay (Maximun of $150 per day) $750
Missed Connection $250
Baggage & Personal Effects Loss (secondary) $1,000
Baggage Delay $300
Medical Expenses (secondary) $25,000
Dental $500
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation of Remains $500,000
Accidental Death & Dismemberment $10,000**

Extra Coverage
(when coverage is purchased within 15 days of Initial Trip Payment):

• Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver
• Trip Cancellation/Interruption due to Financial Default
• Medical Expense (Primary)
• $250 additional Missed Connection
• $50,000 Flight Guard®**

The following non-insurance services are provided by Travel Guard.

Travel Medical Assistance Included
Worldwide Travel Assistance Included
LiveTravel® Emergency Assistance Included
Concierge Services Included
Identity Theft Included
Business Assistant Included

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Company will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:
1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;
2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, non-refundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);
3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid.
This sounds great. Now what if a hurricane happens during your trip? What's covered and what's not?

ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #26
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
This sounds great. Now what if a hurricane happens during your trip? What's covered and what's not?
I looked over my policy to see what is covered regarding hurricanes because we didn't purchase the policy with hurricanes in mind. We live in GA so we do not fly and do not have to worry about cancelled/delayed flights. We do not stay in hotels along the way except for the night before our cruise so we don't have to worry about not making our reservation for those. We have an 8-9 hour drive and a hotel room, that's it. We bought the coverage because of the pre-existing conditions clause (DH has gallbladder issues) and they have a wide range of reasons that you cancel and get a refund.

Regarding hurricanes, that falls under trip interruption or trip delays.

The Company will pay a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit
shown on the Declarations Page and Schedule of Benefits,
if an Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on
his/her Trip due to the following Unforeseen events:
(d) Inclement Weather causing delay or cancellation of
travel;
p) a named hurricane causing cancellation of travel to the
Insureds Destination that is Inaccessible or
Uninhabitable. The Insurer will only pay benefits for
losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the
named hurricane makes the Insureds Destination
Inaccessible or Uninhabitable. Benefits are not payable
if a hurricane is named on or before the effective date of
the Insureds Trip Cancellation coverage.

Trip delay is $750 pp and trip interruptions is 150% of trip cost per insured. Is this the information you were looking for?
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
cinderellanprince
Mouseketeer

I also bought insurance through ***************** and unfortunately, had to use it. After we got off the ship, we went to Gatorland and our car got broken into. Fortunately, they only took 2 small bags and overall the value of the loss was not that high. My initial thought was to file a claim against my homeowner's insurance but when we talked to the broker, they said after a certain number of claims, your policy holder can either drop you or raise your rates as homeowners was only intended to cover major casualties so it was their advice not to file. I then remembered the trip insurance, which i really only bought for coverage for trip interruption since we were traveling during hurricane season and the policy ended up covering all of our stolen items (except sunglasses--which is a random exclusion IMO!)
cinderellanprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If the hurricane neither cancels nor interrupts your trip or causes any injury, you will probably not have any claim.

For example, if you miss your stop at CC due to weather, you will not have a claim. DCL reserves the right in its T&C to change the itinerary. -- Suzanne
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
If you have a non-refundable excursion arranged on your own somewhere (not through DCL) and you miss that port due to the hurricane, you would be covered for the cost of the excursion (again, it would have to be non-refundable, as trip interruption coverage is only for non-refundable parts of your trip).

If you end up returning to the home port late due to the hurricane, and miss your flight, you would be covered for the costs of re-scheduling your flight, and an overnight hotel if that becomes necessary.

That's the only things I can think of. Missing ports themselves is not covered, as that's part of your cruise contract (DCL can re-arrange the itinerary any way they want or need).

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #30
lovemycatkellar
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the info, this can be intimidating to newbies!
Melody
lovemycatkellar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: