Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #1
hanksgirl
Earning My Ears
 
hanksgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 25

Dining plan

It is better to get the two quick service dining or is it better to get the one with one quick and one sit down?? It's like 400.00 difference and we thought it may be cheaper to just pay for our sit down dinner when we want one??.. Any thoughts???
hanksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
AngieTank
Earning My Ears
 
AngieTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 57

It depends on what you want to eat and the experience you are looking for. There are a lot of really good quick service restaurants everywhere, and there are a lot of amazing table service restaurants too! If I were you I'd scope out the menus and see what you're interested in. For us the table service meal is a real treat every evening as we don't dine out often at home. But if you don't mind the quick service experience you can get a good meal it's just more like going to McDonalds instead of Olive Garden.
AngieTank is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,230

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksgirl View Post
It is better to get the two quick service dining or is it better to get the one with one quick and one sit down?? It's like 400.00 difference and we thought it may be cheaper to just pay for our sit down dinner when we want one??.. Any thoughts???
It is very difficult to make the QSDP "pay" for itself. 95% of entrees at QS are still at $10-11, drinks are $3, desserts around $4. Multiply that times 2 and you've got $36. That means your snack has to be $4.50 or more to just break even. And as soon as you use a QS credit for breakfast, don't get the dessert, or get a cheaper snack, you're losing money.

The DDP is a little easier to make the cut, but you still need to order the more expensive entrees every time, always get dessert and a drink.

If you just want a few TS meals, you'll probably be better to not do a dining plan at all and pay OOP.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 59,269
DISboards Moderator

Totally depends on how many sit-downs you want. If you are good with having one every day, then upgrade the plan. If you only want one or two, stick with quick service and pay for the TS you want. This is assuming that you are not willing to go without a dining plan at all.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
bdklein
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In a House
Posts: 1,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksgirl View Post
It is better to get the two quick service dining or is it better to get the one with one quick and one sit down?? It's like 400.00 difference and we thought it may be cheaper to just pay for our sit down dinner when we want one??.. Any thoughts???

If you are paying for it, and it's your first or second trip to WDW, don't do any dining plan. Just pay as you eat (OOP-Out of Pocket).
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
DJFan88
DIS Veteran
 
DJFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieTank View Post
It depends on what you want to eat and the experience you are looking for. There are a lot of really good quick service restaurants everywhere, and there are a lot of amazing table service restaurants too! If I were you I'd scope out the menus and see what you're interested in. For us the table service meal is a real treat every evening as we don't dine out often at home. But if you don't mind the quick service experience you can get a good meal it's just more like going to McDonalds instead of Olive Garden.
True! They're are ALOT of great quick service options. Do your research!

and don't worry.....it's true that many are kinda like eating at mcdonalds, but if you research it, you will find many are meals like table service, just waiting in line for them yourself.

True about the other poster's breakdown on cost of QS. If you only want a few TS, do all OOP. If you want a lot of TS meals, then that is a whole different discussion.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
AngieTank
Earning My Ears
 
AngieTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFan88 View Post


and don't worry.....it's true that many are kinda like eating at mcdonalds, but if you research it, you will find many are meals like table service, just waiting in line for them yourself.
Oops, I didn't mean to imply that the food was the same quality as McDonald's just the experience.
AngieTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
DJFan88
DIS Veteran
 
DJFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieTank View Post
Oops, I didn't mean to imply that the food was the same quality as McDonald's just the experience.
No, no, I know. I saw how you said earlier there were a lot of great places. Just for someone newer to Dis., didn't want them to think ut oh, if they don't want a lot of TS.
It actually was sort of ut-ohy our first trip, when we had no planning down. So, hungry you just take whatever's there. However, learned that by knowing where the good stuff was by pre-planning, that would never happen to us again.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------------------
1997 - off property 1999 - Caribbean
2009 - Caribbean 2010 - Coronado
2012 - POR 2014 - POR/YC
DJFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.