Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #16
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

We are going to Sarafina's on our cruise and I daresay the judicious use of a backpack may solve your issue a the risk of starting a flame war.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
ImprovGal
No animals were harmed in the making of the dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this for the Alaska cruises?

I know you can't bring food off the ship into the Alaska ports (except commercially packaged stuff), and that I couldn't bring stuff onto the ship when boarding from Canada, but I never even thought that we might not be allowed to bring food back from Alaska ports onto the ship!

We went to Alaska through DCL in 2011, and we brought back some yummy hand crafted chocolates/cookies from Ketchicandies in Ketchikan...the chocolate covered oreos (seriously to die for!) were in boxes, but they weren't what I would call "sealed" boxes - and no-one said anything when we brought them on board.

Does this kind of thing count as "commercially prepared food" or do they just not care because it isn't fruit/meat/veggies and it's from the USA? Or, were we just lucky? I'd hate to find out I can't get some in a few weeks when we go back!

Aby
I think you may have been just lucky. Technically, they could have told you it couldn't be brought onboard.

That said, I've cruised a variety of itineraries on DCL (or.. well.. as much of a variety as they've offered) and lately most of my souvenir purchases have been local foodstuffs, some of which were bought specifically to be consumed on the ship. I sailed on an Alaska cruise their first season and had a screener question the smoked salmon (which was factory-sealed in plastic and boxed) I'd purchased in Juneau. It was only after I showed the packaging and that it was smoked and shelf-stable that he finally let me board with my salmon.

On other itineraries, I may or may not have boarded with plastic wrapped cheeses that I may or may not have consumed in the Cove Cafe during the cruise. That kind of stuff may be denied boarding, but hey it's the only kind of gambling I get to do on DCL.
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy32 View Post
We are going to Sarafina's on our cruise and I daresay the judicious use of a backpack may solve your issue a the risk of starting a flame war.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Below is the one I've heard rave reviews from on St. Maarten! It's in Marigot.
Yes, that is the one I provided pictures from. It is just so hard to choose.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: