Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Haggling in a department store?

My DH & I just purchased our very first bedroom set. We got a great sale price at Macy's & I'm very happy with my purchase.

I just called my parents to tell them the exciting news (we had been saving for a while) & my dad asked if we haggled for a better price- I didn't think this was done at a department store. My DH & I are just not the types to negotiate prices (unless we are buying a car or at a tag sale where negotiating is common practice). & my dad is the type who tries to negotiate everything, even taking it to the extreme at times.

I was just curious, can you really haggle for a lower price for big ticket items in a department store like Macy's?? On things that are on sale already?

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post
My DH & I just purchased our very first bedroom set. We got a great sale price at Macy's & I'm very happy with my purchase.

I just called my parents to tell them the exciting news (we had been saving for a while) & my dad asked if we haggled for a better price- I didn't think this was done at a department store. My DH & I are just not the types to negotiate prices (unless we are buying a car or at a tag sale where negotiating is common practice). & my dad is the type who tries to negotiate everything, even taking it to the extreme at times.

I was just curious, can you really haggle for a lower price for big ticket items in a department store like Macy's?? On things that are on sale already?
I've never once known of anyone or heard of anyone (sucessfully) haggling at a department store.
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck View Post
I've never once known of anyone or heard of anyone (sucessfully) haggling at a department store.
Hello fellow Swan bride

OK, that's what I thought. My dad tends to go overboard sometimes.....

Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

I work in a retail store and I have had people try to haggle with no luck. If something is damaged we will sometimes give 10% off but that is all. Apparently Best Buy will change prices sometimes if you ask. I had someone ask if this was the best price we could give on a tv. I said yeah that's the price. She said ok I will go to Best Buy they will work with me. I just thought whatever and went on my way.

Then my mom went to best buy to buy a tv. She also got a stand and cables, a cleaning kit and a router. They already had a deal when you bought the cables/cleaning kit with the tv but she asked if they could do anything with the stand and they gave her $40 off. I don't know if its their policy or she just got lucky.
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
pryncess527
DIS Veteran

I used to work in jewelry and that is an area where you can haggle a bit, but I'd never think to try it with furniture.
pryncess527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgeek81 View Post
I work in a retail store and I have had people try to haggle with no luck. If something is damaged we will sometimes give 10% off but that is all. Apparently Best Buy will change prices sometimes if you ask. I had someone ask if this was the best price we could give on a tv. I said yeah that's the price. She said ok I will go to Best Buy they will work with me. I just thought whatever and went on my way.

Then my mom went to best buy to buy a tv. She also got a stand and cables, a cleaning kit and a router. They already had a deal when you bought the cables/cleaning kit with the tv but she asked if they could do anything with the stand and they gave her $40 off. I don't know if its their policy or she just got lucky.
I would feel really weird doing something like that. Especially since, in our case, our furniture set was already on sale. My dad was trying to tell me that the guy at Macy's works on commission & I should have offered $100-$200 less since I was buying multiple items. Like I said though, he tends to go a bit overboard (which is one reason why I never shop with him!!)

Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocatz View Post

I once haggled in a dept store to get them to honor their advertisement to match + percentage off any other lower price. The ad said "no ifs, ands or buts." There was no stipulation on any of the signs that anything was not included.

I found a great price on line for the same item and brought it in. They said that they wouldn't match internet prices. I argued that that was a "but" and the signs all over the store said "No ifs, ands or buts." And none of the signs said anything about internet prices not being valid.

Took awhile, but I calmly stood my ground and I got my internet price + the percentage off. (It was substantial so worth my standing around asking for the manager.)

Not exactly the same thing since it was an advertisement, but you can haggle the price down sometimes.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I have negotiated on furniture at furniture stores. They actually have it marked up 200-300% per a friend who sells it. I've negotiated for us several times, and I've negotiated for two bedroom suits I was purchasing for two wish children who were sisters.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
I have negotiated on furniture. They actually have it marked up 200-300% per a friend who sells it. I've negotiated for us several times, and I've negotiated for two bedroom suits I was purchasing for two wish children who were sisters.
Oh and we even got a discount on a non discounted "faux fireplace" at Big Lots. Several were on sale but not the one we wanted so we asked for the same discount. It worked.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
JRawkSteady
Mousecessed DIS Veteran

I worked in retail for over 10 years (thank God I got outta that) and the ONLY way to haggle is to find a discrepancy in tagged merchandise. For instance, if there is a sale posted that isn't available anymore... Then, you have a possibility...but otherwise, you just can't haggle "store policy."

" Imagine if the trip were not merely the width of this room but the breadth of a galaxy, the span of a universe. Well imagine no more. Because soon one of you will be taking that trip. One of you will seize the future with XS! Bon Voyage!"
JRawkSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

Only time I ever got lucky haggling was at Belk Department Store. There was an ad in the Sunday newspaper about *all* their in stock china being on sale at 50% off that one day. I had some of the "Lenox Holiday" pattern but had always planned to add to it. I knew they had some of this in stock and headed there fast as I could. No, no, NO!!! Store manager explained (like speaking to a small child) that Lenox was NOT on sale at 50% off...all their other china was. He smiled, then turned to walk away. I had anticipated this and pulled the ad out of my purse. I asked him to read what the ad said. He moaned and asked how much of it I wanted at 50% off. I bought a ton!
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepcot View Post
Only time I ever got lucky haggling was at Belk Department Store. There was an ad in the Sunday newspaper about *all* their in stock china being on sale at 50% off that one day. I had some of the "Lenox Holiday" pattern but had always planned to add to it. I knew they had some of this in stock and headed there fast as I could. No, no, NO!!! Store manager explained (like speaking to a small child) that Lenox was NOT on sale at 50% off...all their other china was. He smiled, then turned to walk away. I had anticipated this and pulled the ad out of my purse. I asked him to read what the ad said. He moaned and asked how much of it I wanted at 50% off. I bought a ton!
OK, that I can understand-they had a misleading ad. I would be comfortable doing that. I do feel that a store should honor their ads, regardless of if they made an error. I just wouldn't feel comfortable haggling on furniture that was already on sale, no errors in their ad.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

One of the reasons it so hard at department stores is that the sales person rarely is the person who sets the price. Not like an individual store where the owner can make instant decisions.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I've heard of people successfully haggling if they can find some sort of flaw. I am not one to try it, I am too shy or something.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

When I worked in retail our managers could offer 10-15% off or free shipping if it helped make a sale, so I do ask on big ticket items.
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: