Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

MagicBands for AP holders?

I'm curious to see how the MagicBands will be integrated for AP holders. According to sources, the full roll-out will be at the end of this year. While I have not purchased my AP yet (moving to Florida for college in less than a month), my current understanding is that I will receive a plastic card not unlike a KTTW that will work with the new RIFD turnstiles. We used our KTTW with these on our last trip in April.

I wonder if we will receive one band for the entire year, or one per visit (seems unlikely). I personally think the customization options, while expensive, are more useful for AP holders if we end up having to use the same MagicBand all year.

Opinions/thoughts?

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

It's still not certain, but I believe you will get one MagicBand "for life" in a sense. The AP is not linked directly to your MagicBand, or vice versa - the MagicBand is linked to your DMX profile, which can have tickets and APs linked to it.

The battery in the MB is rated to last 2-3 years. What the replacement policy will be (and how you will know) when the battery dies remains to be seen.

The replacement cost for lost bands is $50 (first replacement free).

At this time, you will still get a plastic AP card that is also RFID-enabled. The card is necessary to show eligibility for discounts (discounts are not currently automatically handled via MM+/DMX/MagicBands), and some locations are not yet equipped to process MagicBands.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Simba77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
It's still not certain, but I believe you will get one MagicBand "for life" in a sense. The AP is not linked directly to your MagicBand, or vice versa - the MagicBand is linked to your DMX profile, which can have tickets and APs linked to it.

The battery in the MB is rated to last 2-3 years. What the replacement policy will be (and how you will know) when the battery dies remains to be seen.

The replacement cost for lost bands is $50 (first replacement free).

At this time, you will still get a plastic AP card that is also RFID-enabled. The card is necessary to show eligibility for discounts (discounts are not currently automatically handled via MM+/DMX/MagicBands), and some locations are not yet equipped to process MagicBands.
The other thing to consider is that all the important Magicband features will continue to work beyond 3 years, even after the battery dies. The bands will simply lose the battery-powered features, which allow the Magicband to be read from a distance of 10-15 feet, as opposed to the close-proximity "tap" necessary at entrance kiosks and FP+ machines. It remains to be seen what these "battery powered" features might entail, but it's been speculated things like attractions or characters being able to know your name as you walk up to them, without you having to tap your card.

But either way, if you're not interested in that additional battery-powered feature (the 10-15 foot range ID), then it seems that the passive RFID chip in the band would still function indefinitely, meaning you'd never actually have to replace the band unless it got lost or broken. Personally, if given a choice between buying a new one for $50 or living without the "battery operated bonus feature," I'd keep my band with the dead battery.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba77 View Post
The other thing to consider is that all the important Magicband features will continue to work beyond 3 years, even after the battery dies. The bands will simply lose the battery-powered features, which allow the Magicband to be read from a distance of 10-15 feet, as opposed to the close-proximity "tap" necessary at entrance kiosks and FP+ machines. It remains to be seen what these "battery powered" features might entail, but it's been speculated things like attractions or characters being able to know your name as you walk up to them, without you having to tap your card.

But either way, if you're not interested in that additional battery-powered feature (the 10-15 foot range ID), then it seems that the passive RFID chip in the band would still function indefinitely, meaning you'd never actually have to replace the band unless it got lost or broken. Personally, if given a choice between buying a new one for $50 or living without the "battery operated bonus feature," I'd keep my band with the dead battery.
Given that Disney is touting those "enhanced experiences" whenever they talk about how cool MagicBands are, I'm expecting they will have some sort of "trade-in" mechanism...but we're at least two years away from knowing.

But yes, all the necessary functions are theoretically permanent.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I am a current AP and due to staying at Pop Century next month am part of the MyMagicBand+ and FastPass+ test group.

Using the 'My Disney Experience' app I was able to request personalized MMBs for my DD and I, including choosing a color. Due to living in Canada our bands will not be shipped but will be waiting for us when we check in.

We have been able to select 10 days of FP+ attractions so will give that a try when we arrive.

Excited to be part of the test group and see how FP+ works. So far, lovin' it!

Amazing Trips with DD: Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

my GF has her MB with her annual pass because he family member is working on the project to get magic bands to the annual pass holders.. pretty much right now both her RFID card and magic band work to get in and out of the park, so im guessing they are linked in some manner like mentioned above. her family member had said they arent doing annual passes yet but will be soon and shes going to convert mine over for me as soon as she can (had to just send her a photo of the back of my ticket).
heyitsmejosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: