Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
MondaysChild
Mouseketeer

Help me get excited about our cruise!

We are planning to go on our first cruise ever in March aboard the Wonder out of Miami. I have always wanted to get a bunch of people to cruise together, but that isn't in the cards this time. So it will be just the three of us. I was really excited when I booked it, but I now I feel unsure that it is right for us. I am so used to planning every detail and with the cruise it seems like I just book it and go. What is the best part? What should I be excited for? What am I missing? What can I be planning instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting? I am used to "regular" vacations and I am worried that a cruise will be - dare I say - boring and confining. Help me get the magic in my planning! For me planning is almost as good as vacation!
MondaysChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondaysChild View Post
We are planning to go on our first cruise ever in March aboard the Wonder out of Miami. I have always wanted to get a bunch of people to cruise together, but that isn't in the cards this time. So it will be just the three of us. I was really excited when I booked it, but I now I feel unsure that it is right for us. I am so used to planning every detail and with the cruise it seems like I just book it and go. What is the best part? What should I be excited for? What am I missing? What can I be planning instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting? I am used to "regular" vacations and I am worried that a cruise will be - dare I say - boring and confining. Help me get the magic in my planning! For me planning is almost as good as vacation!
First of all, relax.

One of the "perks" of a cruise vacation, is that it's OK to not do anything every minute of the day.

My number one tip for cruises is - Don't try to do everything, you can't. And you'll only stress yourself when you realize this.

Check your Navigator daily to see what's available, and select a few things to do each day. Really, don't try to rush from one event to another. There will be lots of others trying to cram as much as possible into every minute of the day, I find it's interesting to see some of the meltdowns when they can't. And I wonder if they'll remember having a good vacation or not.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I got back a few weeks ago from Alaska after spending a year worrying about how it was all going to work out traveling with 6 people. From the logistics to getting there to everything we did. It worked out great it I think it was the best cruise ever!
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
interested
Kayla's Gramma

What has been your favorite vacation up til now?
8th*02/28/04,7N-9th*09/18/04,7N10th*03/03/05,3N-11th.*6/11/05,7N-12th-10/13/05,4N13th.*02/25/06,7N-14th,04/15/06,7N-
15th,*10/14/06,7N-16th,2/24/07,7N-17th*,12/08/07,7N, 18th 4/20/08 4N,19th* 7/08 4N,20th*11/22/08 7N ,21st2/28/09 7N, 22nd 7/30/09 3N, 23rd 10/24/09 7N, 24th*12/17/09 3N, 25th 7/2010 5N ,26th* 11/13/2010 7N, 27th 11/5/2011 7N, 28th 14N 10/14/2012, 29th 7N 11/10/2012, 30th 14N 9/14/2013 *The times we have been blessed to have our grand daughter with us!
interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Think of yourself as a travel agent doing a "familiarization tour" -- checking things out so next time you'll be the expert helping your friends discover the joys of cruising.

After the Wonder gets her new refurb this fall, she will be like the newest ship in the Disney fleet.

There's not much to plan right now. Have you looked up your reservation online? That will give you a count down to when you can do your online check-in, choose your port arrival time, and book shore excursions and Palo.

Reading the DIS boards will give you a good idea of what to expect, and will help pass the time as you anticipate your cruise, along with the rest of the eagerly waiting, zealously anticipating cruise people.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Wow. I don't even know what to say. Its a Disney cruise. It combines my two favorite vacations in the world.

Make some meet n greet friends if you have to but DC cruisers are the friendliest people I have cruised with.
This yr, we went on a big yearly CCL with all our friends and big group. The only thing that could get me excited was my husband taking me to WDW before. I didn't need to drop another $1200 on a predictable CCL. The islands were nice but the cruise was a complete waste. Having a big group does not ensure excitement or even a good trip. On the other hand, having my Twinkie and my husband and mom n dad for our 4 day Disney trip was one of the best trips I've ever had. (Up there with Hawaii and Europe.) I've since figured out that its not the whole group that matters (shocking for me to say) but a few of your closest. If you have a few you love to share this great trip with, that is all the excitement you need!

18 Pounds Lost since Dec 24!

~04/13 DCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/13 CCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/12 CCL Conquest~ ~02/11 CCL Triumph~ ~01/07 CCL Holiday~ ~12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii~~6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal~ ~99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ ~93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib.~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
Think of yourself as a travel agent doing a "familiarization tour" -- checking things out so next time you'll be the expert helping your friends discover the joys of cruising.

After the Wonder gets her new refurb this fall, she will be like the newest ship in the Disney fleet.

There's not much to plan right now. Have you looked up your reservation online? That will give you a count down to when you can do your online check-in, choose your port arrival time, and book shore excursions and Palo.

Reading the DIS boards will give you a good idea of what to expect, and will help pass the time as you anticipate your cruise, along with the rest of the eagerly waiting, zealously anticipating cruise people.
Also Wonder is not going to be the newest ship in the fleet this fall..
Magic is.

~04/13 DCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/13 CCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/12 CCL Conquest~ ~02/11 CCL Triumph~ ~01/07 CCL Holiday~ ~12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii~~6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal~ ~99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ ~93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib.~
Old 08-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Sounds more like you are a bit apprehensive (for example thinking, am I nuts for doing this? etc) as opposed to lack of excitement. We've done 10 cruises with DCL & still get "excited" before each cruise. We're scheduled for a NYE cruise & are already starting to talk about what each of us wants to do (family or 4). You got some excellent advise to just Relax . So just keep reading these boards for things other folk enjoy to, e.g. Dining at Palo, trying various tasting, hitting the spa etc.. Also check the DCL web site for other things that are offered on board as well as excursions.
You also might consider ordering the DCL free DVD, watching it might help getting you get psyched. Just some random thoughts.
Have Fun
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
MondaysChild
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I would say my favorite vacations have been those where we do a little local exploring, eat good food, have a great beach, and see some beautiful places along the way. I also love trying to find bargains (car rentals, hotels,etc).

We love chill time and don't go go go the whole time. Maybe I am worried that the cruise isn't a good value?

I think we will have fun! We better!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Pretty sure you will.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

I am also going through the same thing. I normally have my little binder with all the pertinent information needed for my vacations. To date, for my April 2013 cruise I have a page...lol Being on the boards and Facebook group with others that are also going on the same cruise has help to elleviate any stress that I had!

Have a great time!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

April 2013? You should have a photo binder and trip log like I do! Not a single page?

Old 08-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids
April 2013? You should have a photo binder and trip log like I do! Not a single page?
Oops that was supposed to say 2014...lol
Old 08-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondaysChild View Post
We have been in March, October, and November. The Wonder was our first and second ship and we loved it. What really got me in the mood was reading other people's trip reports. The best part for me is seeing the excitement in my children's eyes. The way the characters interact with your kids is the best. We have had so many once in a lifetime events happen to us on DCL that has made us loyal customers.
The service makes you feel rich even though you may not be. We are still friends with our server Ganesh. It is awesome when people you don't even know, know what you want before you want it.
I loved the shows. Yes, even "Toy Story." We had never been in the ocean before and Castaway was the most beautiful place I had ever seen Even if there is a rainy day, you don't know it because there are always fun things going on.
If you aren't in a cruise meet or Fish Extender exchange group here on the Dis, you should be! We had fun as a family making presents for other people and even more fun receiving presents! I am also still friends with many people in my FE groups.

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #15
MondaysChild
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone! I talked about it with my husband and he is really excited for the trip! Then I started thinking about what I like in a vacation and the cruise should have it all! Beautiful sights, fun family time, beach time, pool time, good eats! Plus we will hopefully meet some new friends on board. Would love my daughter to find a little friend. Stinks being an only kid sometimes!

Thanks for your encouragement. Sometimes you get what you need, and maybe this year I need a non over planned vacation!

I am still going crazy wondering where to stay before the cruise in Miami or Ft. lauderdale so I have that to plan still

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: