Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #31
tmgdownunder
Earning My Ears

How about the room attendants that make up your room? This happens daily as they set up your beds, right? Are they part of the auto ripping too?
tmgdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #32
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgdownunder View Post
How about the room attendants that make up your room? This happens daily as they set up your beds, right? Are they part of the auto ripping too?
The post right above yours clearly states the DCL policy for what's included in the auto-charge for tips once you board:

"Disney Cruise Line has instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess."

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #33
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....
Any CM onboard who is allowed to receive a tip can be tipped by charging to your onboard account. I learned a few months ago that this even includes room service! We bring cash only for the shoreside luggage porters, as they are not DCL employees, and the tour guides on port adventures.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #34
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post

Any CM onboard who is allowed to receive a tip can be tipped by charging to your onboard account. I learned a few months ago that this even includes room service! We bring cash only for the shoreside luggage porters, as they are not DCL employees, and the tour guides on port adventures.

How do you go about tipping room service without cash? Would love to know this as I always blow through my small bills tipping room service and would much prefer using my credit card.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:36 AM   #35
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Ask for them to bring a slip to sign when you order over the phone.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #36
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
Thanks, I'll try that on this cruise!
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #37
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
We've never had to ask. If the slip wasn't presented to us (only happened on the Dream, we were asked to sign), it was usually in the server's pocket. But it's been a while since we've charged a tip (a year or so), so things may have changed.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #38
Madzac
Mouseketeer

Its been well covered, but I wanted to just share my expereince. We did our first cruise in June. I prepaid tips as we wanted one less expense at the time of the trip. Our second to last day we loved our servers and room host so much we went to guest services and had them add additional money from our account to each of them. It was really easy to do, and they gave us new slips to hand out. We didnt have cash and this worked out just fine.
Previous trips: WDW:CBR 3/93, ASMo 5/99, POFQ 5/06, WL 5/09, windsor hills 10/12. DL: Offsite 2/07, 3/10. DCL Dream 4 night bahamas 6/13 (trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3131854)... next up Magic 7 night Western 3/2015
Madzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #39
n8nally
DIS Veteran

I tipped Room Service w/o any cash every time. They always had a slip and I always added $2 or so and signed. Every time. Last week on the Dream.

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #40
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgdownunder View Post
I saw a table on the mousesaver website that indicates a total of $84per person tip for a 7 night cruise. Do they charge the same rate for children?
Yep. Children require the same, if not more, attention from servers and stateroom attendants!

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #41
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Princess View Post
Yep. Children require the same, if not more, attention from servers and stateroom attendants!
Indeed. I was more than happy to tip $12/night for my infant son. Never had to look twice at a diaper in the stateroom and the serving team went above and beyond to bring him foods and dote on him during dinner, not the mention the giant mess he left on the table and under it.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #42
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to confirm - if you do not give the coupons to your server, room steward, etc. (but still pay the tip), they still get the tip, right? When we were on our 7-night Fantasy last month we didn't see our MDR server to give him the envelope (we didn't get the envelopes until after dinner and we didn't attend breakfast on the last day), but we paid the autogratuity and assumed he got it.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #43
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilchem View Post
Just wanted to confirm - if you do not give the coupons to your server, room steward, etc. (but still pay the tip), they still get the tip, right? When we were on our 7-night Fantasy last month we didn't see our MDR server to give him the envelope (we didn't get the envelopes until after dinner and we didn't attend breakfast on the last day), but we paid the autogratuity and assumed he got it.
Yes, as long as the auto-gratuity is left in place, everyone will get their tips.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #44
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

And after all this--can easily understand why the OP was confused

I still am a bit, but hope things are more clear once we're onboard.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #45
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....
I always give more however if I never see the head waiter...the one that gets $7....I dont give him anything..if he stops buy once than he gets double that from us....its only $7 per person but if on 7 days he cant stop by our table like they are supposed to do and introduce themselves than they dont get tipped...unless I see he is working hard and just cant stop by....than we will introduce ourselves....

you sometimes have them only stop by last night of the cruise and say hi...why you ask???? because that is when you hand them the envelope... t that point all bets are off.

We always double our room stewart, and waiters...they work their butts off for sure! Also give a good tip for room service...who wants to be delivering a steak sandwich to my teen boys at 2am

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: