Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
actingashley
Earning My Ears

Gratuities automatically charged?

I read on the DCL website and confirmed when I called that gratuities will be automatically charged to your bill unless you go to guest services on board to tell them not to. I prefer to pay cash tips, and I don't pre-pay tips because I often find that I want to give more than suggested. Once you get to know your servers they feel like family.
Has anyone experienced the "automatic gratuity" charges on board?
actingashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by actingashley View Post
I read on the DCL website and confirmed when I called that gratuities will be automatically charged to your bill unless you go to guest services on board to tell them not to. I prefer to pay cash tips, and I don't pre-pay tips because I often find that I want to give more than suggested. Once you get to know your servers they feel like family.
Has anyone experienced the "automatic gratuity" charges on board?
The auto-gratuity has been in place for a while now.

If you wish to tip totally in cash, you must go to Guest Services onboard and have the auto-gratuity removed. Or, you can leave the auto-gratuity in place and add additional cash at the end of the cruise.

The procedure for the tipping process is: at the end of your cruise you will receive in your room with your nightly turndown service tips envelopes and coupons. The coupons will have the name, position, and amount of tip printed on them. You tear the coupon in half (each half has the same info) and place 1/2 in the corresponding envelope (printed with the position name). At this time, if you wish to tip more, you can place additional cash in the envelope. Then hand out the envelopes to the proper person(s). Or you can go to Guest Services toward the end of your cruise and have a larger auto-gratuity added to your onboard account, and they will issued new coupons showing the new amount that you are tipping,.

With the auto-gratuity there are two options: you can pre-pay, that is pay ahead the suggested amount as part of the cruisefare. That way, the money has already been covered in your budget. Or the auto-gratuity will be charged at the end of your trip along with all other charges in your onboard account. That way, you actually pay for the tips at the end of the cruise.

We like having pre-paid gratuities. It's just so much easier not to have to worry whether we will have the proper amount of money to cover it at the end of the cruise. And we usually add more cash to the envelopes.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
slzer0
DIS Veteran

I give up. I cant find the table.
Prepay tip for 4ppl on 4 night Bahamas cruise?
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Texas lady
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post
I give up. I cant find the table.
Prepay tip for 4ppl on 4 night Bahamas cruise?
Here is the link to Disney Cruise Line about Gratuities

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...es/gratuities/
Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #20
slzer0
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas lady

Here is the link to Disney Cruise Line about Gratuities

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...es/gratuities/

So I add up all those, =$48 for a 4 nighter.
Thats total then, or per day?

$48x4ppl = $192

or

$48x4d x4ppl = $768
Old 09-07-2013, 03:07 AM   #21
Neesy228
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slzer0 View Post

So I add up all those, =$48 for a 4 nighter.
Thats total then, or per day?

$48x4ppl = $192

or

$48x4d x4ppl = $768
$12/night per person. So, $48x4. $192.

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age and dreams are forever. ~ Walt Disney

Me DH DS DS DD

Last edited by Neesy228; 09-07-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Neesy228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 AM   #22
tmgdownunder
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

Yes, the prices are per person (that includes children and babies).
Thank you.
tmgdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #23
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The procedure for the tipping process is: at the end of your cruise you will receive in your room with your nightly turndown service tips envelopes and coupons. The coupons will have the name, position, and amount of tip printed on them. You tear the coupon in half (each half has the same info) and place 1/2 in the corresponding envelope (printed with the position name). At this time, if you wish to tip more, you can place additional cash in the envelope. Then hand out the envelopes to the proper person(s). Or you can go to Guest Services toward the end of your cruise and have a larger auto-gratuity added to your onboard account, and they will issued new coupons showing the new amount that you are tipping,.
We are a family of 4, so will we get 4 coupons/envelopes for each of us to hand out or will there just be one coupon/envelope for each position for the whole cabin?

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #24
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
We are a family of 4, so will we get 4 coupons/envelopes for each of us to hand out or will there just be one coupon/envelope for each position for the whole cabin?
You get one coupon for each position with the total amount on it. And one envelope for each position.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #25
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You get one coupon for each position with the total amount on it. And one envelope for each position.
Thanks .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncleromulus View Post
I guess a better question (and easier to answer) is-- Is there anyone even remotely connected with the Cruise that you DON'T tip??

The most iritating thing to me is that they say you don't need cash--the ship is a cashless proposition.

But then it appears that you DO need cash.....
You don't (can't) tip any salaried positions (Guest Services, officers, kids club staff, for example) And I've never tipped the photo people. Or the entertainers (characters). Gift shop people.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

What about the Engine Room mechanics??

Just kidding (I think)

I just read that Concierge is a "tipped position" now--and I guess that'll have to be cash as well, as they aren't mentioned in the prepaid business.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

You can add the tip for the concierge to your onbard account by going to guest services or telling the concierge to tip themselves.

You tell them the amount, they charge you account, they hand you a ticket, you can then give it to the concierge. Even if you don't hand them the ticket they will still receive the tip if it has been charged to your onboard account.

Or you can use cash, or a combination.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
DSquare
Mouseketeer

The email I got yesterday from our DU TA said that tips are charged to the folio on embarkation day.

Tipping is a topic that seems to confuse guests. It is customary to tip certain positions on any cruise ship. Your room steward, your server, your assistant server and the dining room manager are all positions that would normally be tipped. You will receive information prior to cruising showing a recommended amount. While tipping is not mandatory, we are certain that you will feel strongly that these people have done everything they can in order to ensure your enjoyment of your cruise. It is also customary to tip the room service people separately as they are not usually part of the dining room staff.

Disney Cruise Line has instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess.

Guests can still add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when making their final payments. If this isn't done, a letter will be given at check-in explaining the automatic gratuity payments. Modifications to the amount can still be made at the Guest Services Desk
DSquare is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: