Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #31
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

Hilarious! WHY would anyone have a problem with that, if they were being normal, courteous people?!

Suz (40) DH-Matt (39) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #32
GoofyLovingFamily
Mouseketeer

I would love to dine with a crew member. I could probably learn something new.
GoofyLovingFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by over50visits

Was the FB discussion about random CMs eating, or did they mean the crew dining room was gone and crew and passengers all shared the same buffet?
They were complaining about crew in buffet uniforms eating next to them at the buffet while on their breaks. Unfortunately, I think it was an issue of "class". As far as I am concerned the complainers are the ones with no class.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
They were complaining about crew in buffet uniforms eating next to them at the buffet while on their breaks. Unfortunately, I think it was an issue of "class". As far as I am concerned the complainers are the ones with no class.
Sounds like it...you're right on.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #35
love5pets
Mouseketeer

Can't speak for DCL since we're yet to go on our first but we have dined many times with crew members, often the Captain, GM's, Cruise Directors, entertainers, guest lecturers, even the tech guy who works in the computer room.
With the officers it's usually a table of 6-8, at the Captain's table it's usually 10-12 so you meet fellow passengers as well. Definitely a win-win.

It is a wonderful experience most all the time, (once in awhile you may get someone who is zzzzzzzzzzz). I can't think of anything negative and of course if you're invited and you don't feel comfortable, you can decline.
love5pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #36
bzkds
Mouseketeer

We saw one Officer at the table next to us almost every night on the Fantasy in June. Must have had family on board? And Captain Marco was at the table next to us (with some other Officers) at breakfast. He stopped at our table to fuss over the "special treatment" our ds3 was getting from the Server and Head Server! I would have loved to sit and eat with any of the CMs, they all work so hard I would enjoy seeing them get a break lol.
next up: Disney Wonder 10/4/2015
bzkds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
AJaquins
Mouseketeer

On the Wonder a couple of weeks ago my husband and I joined my in-laws at beach blanket buffet and sitting next to them was the head of food and beverage and the health inspectors...eating lunch. That was interesting to see.

AJaquins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
deebits
Evil Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzkds View Post
We saw one Officer at the table next to us almost every night on the Fantasy in June. Must have had family on board? And Captain Marco was at the table next to us (with some other Officers) at breakfast. He stopped at our table to fuss over the "special treatment" our ds3 was getting from the Server and Head Server! I would have loved to sit and eat with any of the CMs, they all work so hard I would enjoy seeing them get a break lol.
I have cruised on many other lines and LOVE being able to dine with the crew. They have great information on the ports of call and some real hidden jewels as to where to go at the different ports. Never were any of them rude. It was pleasant company.

deebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

I was in line for breakfast in Topsiders on the second Panama Canal Crossing (Bringing the Magic back home in 2005) and the guy behind me was the PRESIDENT OF DCL (and I am drawing a blank on his name right now - he no longer works for DCL). Had a nice talk with him.

In 2002 we had "gofer" (the Chief Purser) join our TABLE for DINNER one night. This was back when on the Captain's Gala night, that some of the crew joined some of the guests for dinner. We were at the table for 14 and one of the families didn't show up. The poor guy was grilled with questions for an hour and a half. Was great for the rest of us. He was great. And he bought the table several bottles of wine too!!

On the last WBPC cruise in May the new entertainment staff was onboard (so we had both casts) and they were well behaved and took my our picture for us several times - they were very willing (they approached us - and then we found out that they were part of the new cast).
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
I was in line for breakfast in Topsiders on the second Panama Canal Crossing (Bringing the Magic back home in 2005) and the guy behind me was the PRESIDENT OF DCL (and I am drawing a blank on his name right now - he no longer works for DCL). Had a nice talk with him.
We were on that cruise as well, and the person you're referring to is Tom McAlpin. We ran into him a couple of times on that cruise and he was very nice to talk with. We were seated next to Roy Disney, Jr. at lunch one day on that cruise. We've had officers seated next to us at dinner in Topsiders a few times and they were always very friendly.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #41
Slappy32
Mouseketeer

Are they actual real live human beings? Then I suppose it's okay. I would have a problem it it were audio-animatronic Millard Fillmore.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
serrem
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I would have a problem it it were audio-animatronic Millard Fillmore.
Millard is at the helm while the (human) crew are eating.
serrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #43
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We were on that cruise as well, and the person you're referring to is Tom McAlpin. We ran into him a couple of times on that cruise and he was very nice to talk with. We were seated next to Roy Disney, Jr. at lunch one day on that cruise. We've had officers seated next to us at dinner in Topsiders a few times and they were always very friendly.
That's It Thank you so Much!!!

I was about 10 seconds from asking him for a job interview before my "practical side" kicked in and told me to shut up So here I sit on the west coast while most of the cruises are out east.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #44
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesing4u View Post
TOUCHE

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #45
tessa67
Mouseketeer

On a port day a group of the gentlemen who wear the coveralls (I see them cleaning and painting) were going through the buffet line at lunch. They were not in uniform and were having a fun time.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: