Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
LynseyK
Mouseketeer

Eastern or Western Caribbean Cruise

I am debating on wither to go on a Eastern or Western Caribbean cruise in Aug of 2015. I have already been on the Western Caribbean cruise and didn't know if I wanted to try something new and go on the Eastern cruise. I like that you get more port days on the Western but I have never been to the islands on the Eastern cruise. Does anyone have any advice that has been on the Eastern? On the western I wasnt to thrilled about Costa Maya or Cozumel just because of the vendors constantly trying to sell you something and how runned down the islands seem to be. What did you think of St.Marteen and the other island? How were the islands and the port excursions? The only reason Im thinking of doing the Western again is because they added Jamaica. Any input or advice is appreciated.
LynseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
amyh13
Mouseketeer

I prefer the eastern so much that we did it this year for spring break on CCL and will be doing it on DCL next year for spring break. Plus on DCL we get castaway cay instead of Nassau. We cannot wait! We did the western 5 years ago and liked it too and will probably do again in the future but the eastern rocks! But don't be fooled, there are pushy sales people in every port.
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyh13 View Post
I prefer the eastern so much that we did it this year for spring break on CCL and will be doing it on DCL next year for spring break. Plus on DCL we get castaway cay instead of Nassau. We cannot wait! We did the western 5 years ago and liked it too and will probably do again in the future but the eastern rocks! But don't be fooled, there are pushy sales people in every port.
We've done both, just got off the western 6 weeks ago. We enjoyed the ruins at Costa Maya, but like the OP was not impressed with Cozumel either. We prefer the eastern and going again next May. We love all of a the ports, & really like the extra sea day. More time to schedule. Palo Brunch or a Remy Lunch.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
GW45
Mouseketeer

We booked the Western last year on the Fantasy but when a hurricane was forecast we got switched the day before we sailed and ended up on the Eastern itinerary. The first sea day meant long lines at GS where people were trying to book new excursions, which we had no chance to look up in advance and do a bit of research-we didn't bother and instead just walked around the shopping area of the port. I really didn't care for St. Maarten and it's seedy shops but maybe if we had gone to the beach on the other side we would have enjoyed it more. St. Thomas surprised me- had a much nicer feel to it and the views were amazing.
I enjoyed the cruise and being on the new ship which was beautiful but I wouldn't be rushing to book the Eastern again.....our circumstances and disappointment at not going to Mexico and Cayman probably have a lot to do with that though.
GW45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done both in the past year. Enjoyed both. I'm a bigger fan of the Eastern for a couple of reasons, the ports seem more interesting to me and you get an extra sea day.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Totoro
Mouseketeer

We have done both and IMO I like the Eastern better. I really like the history and culture of St. Maarten. The ports are more interesting and are real ports. Some of the ports on the Western feel like tourist stops.
WDW 1997 Coronado Springs| 2001 Hampton Inn LBV | 2008 Sept: All-Star Sports · Nov: Pop Century | 2009 Sept: Pop Century | 2010 Sept: Pop Century | 2011 Aug: Pop Century| 2013 July: All-Star Movies | 2014 Feb: All-Star Sports
DLR 2007 Sheraton Anaheim | 2012 Best Western Park Place Inn
DCL 2011 Magic Eastern Caribbean | 2013 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
amyh13
Mouseketeer

Forgot about the bonus sea days!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
LynseyK
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the advice I'm looking forward to booking my cruise. I think I will book a eastern cruise. Does anyone have a favorite excursion they did while at the saint islands? I have two boys an they will be 6 & 5 when I go and it will just be the three of us.
LynseyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
erocrobro
DIS Veteran

In June, my sons (11, 8, & 6) and I went on the Eastern and had a fantastic time. I think next time we cruise we will do another Eastern because the Western ports don't excite me too much and we really enjoyed all of our sea days. On St. Maarten, we did a Bernard's tour which I would recommend just because it was so easy to see all of the island and spend some time at the beach. I think next time we will just do a beach day on our own since now weh ave seen the island and the beach was the best part of the day for us. We went to Orient and it was beautiful. In St. Thomas, we did the Full Day Sail & Snorkel and my boys loved it. We would absolutely book this one again, except that I want to see St. John next time we are there.

erocrobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
lawdawg327
Earning My Ears

I don't know about 2015, but I did notice on some of the Western cruises for 2014, Costa Maya has been replaced with Falmouth, Jamaica if that helps in your decision making. Personally, I like St. Thomas & St. Martin better than Cozumel or Grand Cayman, but I like the one less sea day better on western. Either way, I'm happy!
lawdawg327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

We say "YES" to both.....as long as you are on a Disney Cruise ship!!

Heck do the EC one year, then the WC the following year.....Both worth it.

Once you do both, it will be better to say which "you" prefer!!

either way, have a great time!!

Robin & Angel "D"
Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]

DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder homeEBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
amyh13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erocrobro View Post
In June, my sons (11, 8, & 6) and I went on the Eastern and had a fantastic time. I think next time we cruise we will do another Eastern because the Western ports don't excite me too much and we really enjoyed all of our sea days. On St. Maarten, we did a Bernard's tour which I would recommend just because it was so easy to see all of the island and spend some time at the beach. I think next time we will just do a beach day on our own since now weh ave seen the island and the beach was the best part of the day for us. We went to Orient and it was beautiful. In St. Thomas, we did the Full Day Sail & Snorkel and my boys loved it. We would absolutely book this one again, except that I want to see St. John next time we are there.
We did Bernard's also with our DS7 and DD3. Fun and informative. I missed the Kon Tiki cruise last time so we will probably do that this time.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Are there any budget friendly options for the Eastern ports...alos is Nov. a good time to go?
Our last Car. cruise was a western in 2009 and we just did Chankanaab in Cozumel and took a taxi to ...I think it was Grand or Royal palms beach in Grand cayman.
We just want to relax, maybe snorkel and maybe one other thing that might interest the kids? I'm not picky, just happy to get away.

Our cruise will also go to St. Thomas/St. John so I'll need ideas for there too

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #14
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

We have been on both itineraries and prefer the Eastern if it includes San Juan. San Juan is a beautiful and interesting port with a Spanish/European atmosphere. At St. Thomas we took an excursion to St. John which is definitely the loveliest island that we've visited. We were just on the 1/4 Western and were unable to dock at Costa Maya due to the weather. Our plan was to do the excursion to the Mayan ruins from there. We shopped on Cozumel in the wind and rain. Off we never return there it will be fine. The primary activity there is shopping.
Our next cruise will probably be Alaska, but we are looking into a Princess Sea/Land package.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: