Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
jaimeadk
Mouseketeer

How many can dine together?

We are planning on taking our kids and grand kids on a cruise. There are 15 of us total. Will we all be able to dine at the same table or will we need to decide how to split up?
jaimeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeadk View Post
We are planning on taking our kids and grand kids on a cruise. There are 15 of us total. Will we all be able to dine at the same table or will we need to decide how to split up?
Each dining serving team serves a 4 top, a 6 top, and an 8 top table. It's my understanding that the newer ships also have one large (seating 12, I think) table.

They can place tables together to make larger ones. I would suggest that sitting at a table larger than an 8 top is very difficult to talk to everyone. The MDRs are pretty noisy, and shouting is the only way to be heard more than 3 or 4 people away from where you are sitting.

Personally, I'd suggest asking for 2 tables next to each other. You can switch out who sits with who each night. You are not required to always sit in the same seat at the table each night. In fact, on our first cruise (8 top - 4 adult couples) we switched out how we sat every night: couples together side by side; couples across the table from each other (women on one side, men on the other); couples across from each other (alternating men and women on each side); men on one end, women on the other; and many others I can't remember.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

We had 13 at our table last year on the Dream for my Dad's 75th birthday. It worked out great. Our servers were great and didn't seem phased by the table size (and, we were easy going, not high maintenance). Our group included a 3yo, 5yo, 3 teens and 8 adults.

As far as being able to talk to everyone, we pretty much rotated around each night! I thought perhaps the table would be too big, but it wasn't! In one dining room we were off to the side, in the main dining room we were right in the middle, and in AP we were to the side, closer to the entrance. All locations were comfortable and accommodating.

Good luck!
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

One cruise we were at a table for 14 - and none of the families knew each other beforehand. Was a lot of fun!! Had to make sure we sat next to different people each night.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
over50visits
DIS Veteran

The right answer will be from Disney, of course. Doesn't matter what the teams normally serve...the past experience of the other posters seems to indicate it may work!

I'd call DCL, ask them, ask them to note it on your reservation, then check with the dining manager when you get on board. I've seen a lot of people sitting together, so at least you have a chance. Never hurts to ask, and never hurts to be prepared to split up.

My advice is that it may be possible, go to the people who know for sure on your boat and your cruise - Disney.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: