Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
terryellen1
Earning My Ears

OBB plus Costco gift card

Hi there

We are trying to decide how to go about booking a med cruise and maximizing our savings

This cruise should cost us about 10k so every little bit helps! If we book this while on board another cruise we would get 10% off right? That's about $1000... Can we then transfer this to Costco and get the gift card that they offer as a booking bonus (I am guessing this would be quite large...more than$500)

Plus if we use our disney visa we will get a $50 credit per room?

Is this all correct or am I completely delusional?

Thanks!

Theresa
terryellen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen1 View Post
Hi there

We are trying to decide how to go about booking a med cruise and maximizing our savings

This cruise should cost us about 10k so every little bit helps! If we book this while on board another cruise we would get 10% off right? That's about $1000... Can we then transfer this to Costco and get the gift card that they offer as a booking bonus (I am guessing this would be quite large...more than$500)

Plus if we use our disney visa we will get a $50 credit per room?

Is this all correct or am I completely delusional?

Thanks!

Theresa
Seems like you have it figured out! I've used Costco for my last three sailings. Yes, book on board so you get the 10% and also the $200 OBB. If you know you will then transfer to Costco after you get home, go ahead and list Costco as your "travel agent". If you don't list them, no problem but don't forget you must transfer to Costco w/in 30 days. You will call Costco and give them the information and they will pull the reservation over and send you an email confirmation. Also - you can check on Costco's website now for the amount of cash card but I do believe it's going to be based on the 10% off, not the amount prior to the 10% so just keep that in mind.

I know you referenced using your Disney Visa but I wanted to mention something else in case you weren't aware. I know a lot of us have a Target Red card (credit or debit card - mine is linked to my checking account) and you can buy the Disney Gift cards in Target and get 5% off them and then use those to pay for the cruise. Target considers them "entertainment" cards which is why the 5% goes through. Not sure you were aware of that or not but it's another way to save extra money even though it can be a little bit more labor intensive

Have fun,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
terryellen1
Earning My Ears

Thanks heather....I didn't even know about the$200 OBB credit...my husband didn't believe this could be possible! Can't wait to get onboard and book the trip....for summer 2015 so of course I am assuming that disney will still be in the med then!

Our numbers will look something like this?

10k for the trip
1k discount
500 Costco card (approximately)
200 OBB?
1500 saved in disney rewards with the visa

....I think I can convince dh that its a deal!!

Thanks again
Theresa
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
terryellen1
Earning My Ears

One more thing...

If I pay for the cruise using the disney visa...lets just say $9k bc it's a round number....I would get $180 in rewards points? I could then use that on board for tips, excursions etc...is this correct?
Old 08-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a good deal to me, but then again I don't have to pay yours! LOL We have the Med (and Alaska again) in the 2015 plans. I don't have the Disney Visa so I don't have any clue how that works but I'm sure someone can confirm the amount.

Just in theory though about the 5% off at Target - if you bought $9k in Disney Gift cards, you'd save $450. If you fill your prescriptions at Target and earn their pharmacy rewards where they send out a 5% off pick a day coupon, you *can* combine that with your 5% off Red card savings and it comes to about a 9% savings - which is awesome.

Now you just need to convince your DH it's a great deal!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
terryellen1
Earning My Ears

thanks so much Heather for the great info...this will be our fourth cruise but still learning more on how to save!!

One more question...we are cruising again in January....what if the 2015 med is released before then? Do we book it right away for the cheapest rate? Is it better to wait for the 10% discount on board....is there someone that first day rates are combinable with the OBB discount after the fact?

Just wondering what our plan of attack should be!!

Theresa
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
thanks so much Heather for the great info...this will be our fourth cruise but still learning more on how to save!!

One more question...we are cruising again in January....what if the 2015 med is released before then? Do we book it right away for the cheapest rate? Is it better to wait for the 10% discount on board....is there someone that first day rates are combinable with the OBB discount after the fact?

Just wondering what our plan of attack should be!!

Theresa
You can always book it on the first day and then try the OBB and see which is cheaper, i.e., rebook on board. Usually the people at the future cruise desk are pretty good at knowing how to get you the best deal and if they can transfer the booking to get you both the 10% OBB and the better first day rate, they will.

If you use your Disney Visa for ALL payments, you'll get the $50 (plus in your example the $180 in rewards points). If you use the Target 5%/9% discount, you would NOT get the Chase Visa $50 for paying with your card, nor would you earn the Visa rewards points (of course!).
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks heather....I didn't even know about the$200 OBB credit...my husband didn't believe this could be possible! Can't wait to get onboard and book the trip....for summer 2015 so of course I am assuming that disney will still be in the med then!

Our numbers will look something like this?

10k for the trip
1k discount
500 Costco card (approximately)
200 OBB?
1500 saved in disney rewards with the visa

....I think I can convince dh that its a deal!!

Thanks again
Theresa
Costco for us has worked out to about 8%, so I bet you'll get closer to $800 or so from them (awesome deal). One more thing we do to maximize savings is to buy Disney gift cards at Kroger when they do the 4x fuel promo. If you get the full 35 gallons when you fill up (we use gas cans for the excess), it works out to about a 14% discount on your gift cards. You have to plan carefully though; you don't want to buy more than you can use in fuel points. Other folks have a Target Red Card which gives you 5% off on Disney Gift cards. You can combine that 5% with Targets pharmacy rewards to get closer to 10% off the cards. I like the Kroger promo better since the % off is greater + you can load the gift card with any denomination (the Disney GC's Target sells only come in $50 denominations and its a bit of a headache buying and keeping track of so many). Costco will take the gift cards as payment. They just have to call DCL to apply them. The Kroger promo happens roughly 4x per year - back to school (should be soon), Thaksgiving(ish), Easter, and Fathers Day. Good luck!!

Editing . . . sorry - am repeating some of what others have said. But I second it!!
Jodie
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

FYI, if you are booking concierge, you do not get the 10% off.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
FYI, if you are booking concierge, you do not get the 10% off.
Which is a real bummer.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: