Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

QUICK help: Should we change resorts from POR this weekend due to crowds/buses?

I'll preface this by saying that we are not summer Disney people, and we went for our first real summer visit weekend before last. We decided never to do summer again, but this weekend is my daughter's birthday and all she wants is to go to Disney on her birthday for the first time ever.

So we're booked at POR in a Royal Room. While we weren't fans of the parks in the summer, staying at the Poly made things more bearable and convenient.

SO, my questions:

Is POR crazy-crowded this time of year? Are there Brazillian tour groups that clog up the buses? How is bus service?

I just read on the unofficial POR website that in peak times, buses can often show up full, and sometimes 2 buses in a row will be full. This does not sound like fun to me!

My daughter wants to stay in a Royal Room, but she also said that she doesn't want the experience to be stressful and would switch resorts if the buses are too crowded (we'll have a stroller) and there are noisy tour groups staying at the same resort. I told her if we switched, we could go back to a Royal Room any time after school starts. (We homeschool and we are living in Florida temporarily, so we can go back any time.)

Given those conditions, what would you suggest?

Thanks!

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 2014 DISNEYLAND PARIS HALLOWEEN! Oh Mon Dieu!!!! Dec 2014 Bay Lake Tower and Wilderness Lodge May 2015 Flower and Animal Kingdom Lodge and Fort Wilderness

Last edited by Violet Parr; 07-29-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

I just did a little searching and found so much conflicting information. Some reviews say that buses are horrible and the place is overrun with tour groups. Other reviews say that the buses are better than BWI and the place is very serene with no tour groups.

We just all feel uncertain about our choice! We're not deluxe snobs (we've spent more nights camping at Fort Wilderness than any other resort) but we are seasonal snobs.

Any suggestions/reassurance/reviews would be greatly appreciated!

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 2014 DISNEYLAND PARIS HALLOWEEN! Oh Mon Dieu!!!! Dec 2014 Bay Lake Tower and Wilderness Lodge May 2015 Flower and Animal Kingdom Lodge and Fort Wilderness

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post
I'll preface this by saying that we are not summer Disney people, and we went for our first real summer visit weekend before last. We decided never to do summer again, but this weekend is my daughter's birthday and all she wants is to go to Disney on her birthday for the first time ever.

So we're booked at POR in a Royal Room. While we weren't fans of the parks in the summer, staying at the Poly made things more bearable and convenient.

SO, my questions:

Is POR crazy-crowded this time of year? Are there Brazillian tour groups that clog up the buses? How is bus service?

I just read on the unofficial POR website that in peak times, buses can often show up full, and sometimes 2 buses in a row will be full. This does not sound like fun to me!

My daughter wants to stay in a Royal Room, but she also said that she doesn't want the experience to be stressful and would switch resorts if the buses are too crowded (we'll have a stroller) and there are noisy tour groups staying at the same resort. I told her if we switched, we could go back to a Royal Room any time after school starts. (We homeschool and we are living in Florida temporarily, so we can go back any time.)

Thanks!

VP
The big tour groups usually stay at the value resorts.

I read a trip report by someone who stayed in a Royal Room at the POR for their daughter's birthday and they had a great time. Their daughter loved the room and the family loved POR. And they are a family that usually stays at deluxe resorts. They were very happy with their decision.

Since it is a weekend trip for your daughter's birthday I would just go with her wish and try it out.

ETA: Here is a link to the trip report I refereed to. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3128912

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Missytara
I'm all ears!

You get conflicting reports about buses at POR, because some people are not used to public transportation or are very impatient. I have seen people waiting in line for a bus for three to five minutes and already are complaining about how long it takes (and that they have been standing there for 20 minutes).

But the buses at POR can get very crowded at peak times, just like any other buses at any other resorts.

If you go over to the POR thread, you will definitely see that there are all kinds of posters who have differing opinions about the bus service. I have been to POR many times and have never had an issue, but I don't travel at peak time and I take advantage of being able to return from a resort, to the bus hub at DTD and then over to POR via water taxi. It does give you another nice option that not all the resorts have to offer.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
florence1
Earning My Ears

Quote:

SO, my questions:

Thanks!

VP
We have stayed at por 2 times and yes at busy times the busses are very busy and do show up full but that would happen at any resort
florence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Oh, that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! I have a friend who hates Disney buses. In our family we always say it is one of our favorite rides each day!

We're just going to go with it and have a great time!

VP

Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

We did POR in August 2011 and it was fine. There was one large group but they were not bothersome.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Oh, that is EXACTLY what I needed to hear! I have a friend who hates Disney buses. In our family we always say it is one of our favorite rides each day!

We're just going to go with it and have a great time!

VP
Good for you! Missytara is right in saying that you get varied reports, often based on what people are used to. We stay onsite every year with no car and I think the Disney buses are great. You can't take one 20 minute wait for a bus late at night and let it overrule all the other good experiences you have with the transportation system. Leave for the bus stop a little earlier than you would normally plant to so that you can allow for the odd occasion when a bus might be full or have standing room only. The good thing about busier seasons is that the buses are more frequent than in the slower times of the year. We've done Easter Week, Spring Break and super quiet Septembers and Octobers. I can't say that we felt we waited any longer for buses when it was crazy busy. If anything, we found them to be more regular so if a bus showed up full, we knew the next one was on its way.

Have a great time and Happy Birthday to your DD
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Dizneefamily+4
Wish I could live in Cinderella's Castle!

We go every August and typically alternate our stays between POR, POFQ and Poly (we leave in 2 days for our Poly trip! ) Honestly, we've always thought the bus service at POR was fabulous. We never had a bad experience. Are the buses crowded? Sure. But we've never had to wait for another bus because the one that arrived was full. We've never had a long wait for any park bus. We actually prefer POFQ because of it's small size and the fact that they both share buses and POFQ is 1st picked up and 1st dropped off. It just seems less busy due to its size. But that being said, POR is a wonderful resort and we truly never had a bad bus experience there - and this is coming from a Poly lover! Enjoy!
'10 - POR/WL
Aug. '11 - POLY
Aug. '12 - POFQ
Aug. '13 - POLY
Dizneefamily+4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: