Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Anyone stay at GF with young daughters??

The more I read and look at stuff about the grand floridian the more I am considering it for our next trip. The pools and splash pad look adorable, beach is nice and proximity to MK is great.

what I am wondering is why more people on here don't rave about it like they do other resorts??

I am considering a stay in the new villas but want to know what people think of the resort for three little girls. Thanks
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
The more I read and look at stuff about the grand floridian the more I am considering it for our next trip. The pools and splash pad look adorable, beach is nice and proximity to MK is great.

what I am wondering is why more people on here don't rave about it like they do other resorts??

I am considering a stay in the new villas but want to know what people think of the resort for three little girls. Thanks
We absolutely LOVE the GF. The first time we stayed was for my DD's 9th birthday and we all fell in love with it . They have the Perfectly Princess Tea Party and the Wonderland Tea party which is perfect for little girls.

My daughter does not want to stay anywhere else now. We have stayed at the BC, BWI, and Pop. The GF is our number one choice every year ever since!

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
kom1977
Earning My Ears

We have stayed at GF twice with small kids (once with a 2 and 4 yo and once with a 1,3 and 5 yo). We have really like GF and have no complaints at all now that the construction is almost done. I say to go for it! Before GF, we had stayed at WL and were not impressed with the rooms at all.
kom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
princessap
DIS Veteran

thanks! It looks super nice but I just wonder why it doesnt seem as popular as the other monorail resorts?!

The zero entry pool is very appealing to me as we will have a 2 year old. Fingers crossed I can get a villa!!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davale4 View Post
We absolutely LOVE the GF. The first time we stayed was for my DD's 9th birthday and we all fell in love with it . They have the Perfectly Princess Tea Party and the Wonderland Tea party which is perfect for little girls.

My daughter does not want to stay anywhere else now. We have stayed at the BC, BWI, and Pop. The GF is our number one choice every year ever since!
My oldest wants to do a tea party. What is the difference between the two??
Old 07-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
thanks! It looks super nice but I just wonder why it doesnt seem as popular as the other monorail resorts?!
Part of the reason for that is the price. Also, some people think that the theming is a little too stuffy for their liking.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

My DH won't let me book at GF. He says it looks (and smells) like a nursing home.

There's something for everyone at Disney!!! I don't think I'll be staying at GF anytime soon, as it's clearly not for DH.

My girls actually wanted to stay there, until we visited, and then they changed their minds....not sure why??

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
lmmantini
Mouseketeer

We stayed at the GF in August '11. DD was 9 at the time and loved it. She always asks when we're going back. We like to try different resorts when we go, that's the only reason we don't plan to go back anytime soon. We LOVED the proximity to MK.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #9
davale4
Love love watching my kids have fun

Quote:
My oldest wants to do a tea party. What is the difference between the two??
My DD LOVED both tea parties . The Wonderland Tea Party is held a 1900 Park Fare. You drop them off there and the tables are decorated very whimsical with the theme. They have tea (apple juice) and interact very closely with the Mad Hatter and Alice. They play games and do arts and craft and back them a picture was included (don't know if they still do the picture). The price is about $42.oo dollars and we thought is was worth it. She has done this one more than once. Now she is too old for it.

The Perfectly Princess Tea Party was just BEAUTIFUL . This is one is held in the Garden View Tea Room. When you come in, there is a place card holder with your name on it. A rose from the garden comes to life (Rose Petal) and welcomes you. She entertains you with storytelling. There is also someone playing the piano and she sings and dances with the kids. They have tea (apple juice) with PB&J and ham&cheese sandwiches. For the adults they also have a nice selection too.

This tea party is pricey, but it includes an Aurora My Disney Doll (which I believe is $50 if you bye at the store). They also get a tiara, bracelet and I can't remember what else. It is nice to bring them in costume because after they meet Aurora, they parade through the lobby with their dolls and tiaras. Overall a very nice experience, but we only did this once. The cost is about $174 for child and about $89 for adult. Glad we did it.

DH DW DD DS
davale4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

stayed last summer my 15 yr old DD loved it
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

we stayed at GF several years ago, when DD was almost 7 and DS was 4. we had a wonderful time. i'll be honest that i didn't love the resort UNTIL we stayed there. we did a split-stay so that we could do a theme park view room and i requested Conch Key or Sago Cay. we ended up in a dormer room, which was WONDERFUL. the enclosed balcony helped ease my worry of a four-year-old with a balcony. our view of the castle was GORGEOUS! i fell in love with the resort.

i've told my DH that i want to go back for an entire week for my 40th birthday. we'll see if he comes through.

with our budget, we can stay longer if we stay in a less expensive resort. on our last trip, we got a great pin code and stayed at CR garden wing, garden view. our next two trips will be at Pop and POR.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)

Last edited by fairestoneofall; 07-29-2013 at 02:53 PM.
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
we stayed at GF several years ago, when DD was almost 7 and DS was 4. we had a wonderful time. i'll be honest that i didn't love the resort UNTIL we stayed there. we did a split-stay so that we could do an theme park view room and i requested Conch Key or Sago Cay. we ended up in a dormer room, which was WONDERFUL. the enclosed balcony helped ease my worry of a two-year-old with a balcony. our view of the castle was GORGEOUS! i fell in love with the resort.

i've told my DH that i want to go back for an entire week for my 40th birthday. we'll see if he comes through.

with our budget, we can stay longer if we stay in a less expensive resort. on our last trip, we got a great pin code and stayed at CR garden wing, garden view. our next two trips will be at Pop and POR.
I am debating between cr garden wing, GF villa or split stay of the two?!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
katiee37
DIS Veteran

As already mentioned I think the main barrier between GF and a lot of people is simply the price. The design does appeal to an older crowd (hence honeymoons) but would definitely appeal to young children as well. For me it will be years before I can (if ever) afford to stay there, but I would love to do it someday.
January 2014 Art of Animation--Celebrating my birthday January 2014 PTR
January 2015--Running the 5K and (yikes) possibly the Half Marathon!

katiee37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am debating between cr garden wing, GF villa or split stay of the two?!
My choice between the two would be the GF. To me, the theme/decor is more appealing and the grounds are prettier. These are just MY opinions, of course, and you have to decide what's best for your family, but if I had little girls, I'd go with the GF (but again, just MY opinion).

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

when is your trip? if you are going anytime around Christmas, the GF is just beyond gorgeous!

we did love our little CR garden view room. we requested first floor (my third baby was only six months old and we wanted to be able to sit on the patio if he was sleeping). we had a room overlooking Bay Lake--we could walk to the beach area. we also watched the Electric Water Pageant from our patio. it is now our favorite (if all resorts cost the same) because we could walk to/from MK.

but since we have two trips coming up soon, we chose less expensive resorts. if all resorts were charged equally, we'd stay CR almost every time.

however, GF IS beautiful and elegant. the lobby area of the main building is just amazing! and even though i love CR, i still want to stay there for my 40th.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: