Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #2536
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

I can't believe people are doing ghost ressies and cancelling them. Seriously? Are the Magic Bands such an ultra-amazing perk that people are willing to stress and fret and connive over it to try and get them?
When I first heard about them, I wasn't even concerned one way or the other. It wasn't until the CM called from Guest Services and asked if we were going to take part since we were at the POR for 2 weeks and hadn't linked our ressies online. Even then, I wasn't necessarily jumping for joy... eventually everyone will have them and other than the FP+ (which I will admit, I haven't even booked one yet and we leave in less than a week) I don't see it as being a big deal.
Craigdarroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #2537
jpessa
Addicted to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdarroch
I can't believe people are doing ghost ressies and cancelling them. Seriously? Are the Magic Bands such an ultra-amazing perk that people are willing to stress and fret and connive over it to try and get them?
When I first heard about them, I wasn't even concerned one way or the other. It wasn't until the CM called from Guest Services and asked if we were going to take part since we were at the POR for 2 weeks and hadn't linked our ressies online. Even then, I wasn't necessarily jumping for joy... eventually everyone will have them and other than the FP+ (which I will admit, I haven't even booked one yet and we leave in less than a week) I don't see it as being a big deal.
That's your point of view. And it's totally legit.

I'm part of the testing and super pumped about it. I'm so excited for my trip that having a new exclusive gadget and experience, even though it's still a test and glitchy, is a huge bonus. Plus it gives me something to plan and think about while I wait for my trip to start.

Although I probably would not have booked a ghost ressie to get the bands, I can totally understand why people would want to. I would have been disappointed if my resort was not part of the test. May even have changed resorts!

Both points of view are legit. And yes, everyone will have them eventually, but some may not return for a long time, so saying don't worry, you'll have them in 6 years when you return isn't much of a consolation.
jpessa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #2538
CoolHandLucas
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdarroch View Post
I know. It's almost as bad as stressing over what other people do.
CoolHandLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #2539
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
Someone else just did a split stay pop/SSR and their bands worked perfectly at SSR including as a room key.
I just caught a post by someone doing a split stay (POP--> BWV) and they never set foot in POP. They did online check in for POP for a one-night stay. The MBs for POP worked fine for unlocking their BWV door, FP+ reservations and their dining credits from BWV. It's not something that I would have expected to work during testing but I'm happy to see that it does.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #2540
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Didn't tell anyone not to worry... just said imho, I don't see why people are foaming at the mouth to the point they will make a fake ressie or even move from the Poly to the AoA... but I guess you're right, we live in an "instant gratification - have to keep up with the Jones" kind of world where gadgets are life and death and people will always find a 'loophole" to get around the system. Let's face it, there are those that will buy an iPhone and a month later purchase the new model because it just came out and they have to have it... I don't understand it, but it doesn't make it wrong.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #2541
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandLucas View Post
I know. It's almost as bad as stressing over what other people do.
Says someone who probably rents a wheelchair to get front of the line service... as I said, people will never cease to amaze me with how conniving they can be.
There's a reason it's a "test" and people making fake ressies to buck the system wasn't intended to be part of that test.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2542
jess1662
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ugh, sorry I asked! I was just curious
jess1662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #2543
HouseofMinnie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseTrip07 View Post
Hello all! I have been following this thread for awhile & I'm sure this question has been answered, but I'm not able to find it.

We have a 1 night RO at Pop on 9/6 and received our Magic Bands a couple weeks ago. On 9/7, we check into POFQ for our package. All of our reservations, ADRs, & FP+ are linked on MDE. Will we be able to open our room door & charge with our Magic Bands once we check into POFQ?

It just occurred to me today that the room key & charging privileges may end when we arrive at POFQ, as it is not a test resort.

Thanks for your help.
I am here now. We stayed two nights at Pop and checked in to POFQ today. I was told they had no idea if dining/charging or Fastpass + would work or not. A cast member at Pop said to please let him know if it does. Well, it does work!!! I thought the dining for sure wouldn't work, but it does! We haven't went to our room yet so I don't know about the door key. If not, we have a KTTW card.
HouseofMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #2544
HouseofMinnie
Earning My Ears

Double post

Last edited by HouseofMinnie; 09-02-2013 at 02:54 PM.
HouseofMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #2545
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1662 View Post
Ugh, sorry I asked! I was just curious
To answer your question Jess... there are several people who have made dummy reservations at a test resort, got their bands, cancelled the reservation, arrived at their "non-test" resort, and the magic bands still worked perfectly as their resort key, at the parks, for all of their reservations, etc.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #2546
DrivnMeUpTheWall-E
Earning My Gears

Sorry to be so out of the loop but what exactly is a 'ghost reservation'? How do you book a new resort on your first day without having to pay?

DrivnMeUpTheWall-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #2547
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivnMeUpTheWall-E View Post
Sorry to be so out of the loop but what exactly is a 'ghost reservation'? How do you book a new resort on your first day without having to pay?
Just call and make the ressie at a test resort and leave the deposit. Link your reservation online, customize your magic bands, once you have confirmation they have shipped, call back and cancel the reservation and get your deposit back.
That's how people are doing it. Not saying it's right... but it seems to be working.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #2548
mcrabeck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1662 View Post
Now that September has started, I'm anxiously awaiting a trip report from anyone that did a ghost RO and cancelled it -- dying to know if this worked!

(I did see in another post that someone who did a ghost RO and paid for it met with complete success! The Magic Band worked for the Magical Express, opened their door at a non-testing resort, worked for park entry and FP+)
Me too!!!

Next Trips:
Halloween Trip WDW -Oct 2013
Spring Break-April 2014

mcrabeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #2549
DrivnMeUpTheWall-E
Earning My Gears

Quote:
Just call and make the ressie at a test resort and leave the deposit. Link your reservation online, customize your magic bands, once you have confirmation they have shipped, call back and cancel the reservation and get your deposit back.
That's how people are doing it. Not saying it's right... but it seems to be working.
Thank you!

My problem is that i am staying at a test resort for the LAST night of my stay, so I got to customize MBs, but no FP+ options. The bands have already sent out. I tried making a ghost reservation and it didn't change anything and didn't allow me to add FP+, i'm assuming because the bands are attached to my last ressie, not the first. Bummer.

DrivnMeUpTheWall-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #2550
Craigdarroch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivnMeUpTheWall-E View Post
Thank you!

My problem is that i am staying at a test resort for the LAST night of my stay, so I got to customize MBs, but no FP+ options. The bands have already sent out. I tried making a ghost reservation and it didn't change anything and didn't allow me to add FP+, i'm assuming because the bands are attached to my last ressie, not the first. Bummer.
Have you got your park tickets yet? If you have them, you need to link them to your MB. If you don't have them yet, you won't be able to make FP+ choices until you purchase them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: