Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

That's very generous of you! Most people expect to pay the extra costs that would be incurred, like airfare. I'd also expect the friend to pay the cruise fare since it is an extra fare that wouldn't be incurred if the child didn't come. I wouldn't expect the extra child to pay for gas or luggage tips, meals on the way.

My daughter just traveled with a friend and I paid her airfare and they paid the rest, which I thought was more than nice. It didn't cost them any extra for the place they stayed in (St. Maarten) but they did pay a lot for meals and my daughter said they went on Rhinos (probably not much extra to get a 3 person, not a 2 person) and jet skis.

Nancy
It's not a generosity thing, it's common manners. You invite, you expect to pay. If the invitation to join starts with the caveat of splitting some costs, then that's fine, but that conversation should definitely start with that.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #17
pfp258
Mouseketeer

We allowed our two daughters to each bring a friend on a seven night cruise on the Dream last year. We invited, we paid, for everything.
pfp258 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #18
bekkio
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice, all. We've approached the family with slightly different terms, and now it's just a matter of checking dates and hammering out the fine details.
bekkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #19
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkio View Post
Thanks for the advice, all. We've approached the family with slightly different terms, and now it's just a matter of checking dates and hammering out the fine details.
Perfect way to do it! You're a cool parent!

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
It's not a generosity thing, it's common manners. You invite, you expect to pay. If the invitation to join starts with the caveat of splitting some costs, then that's fine, but that conversation should definitely start with that.
I guess it depends on the people you're friends with. I wouldn't expect someone to pay for my daughter's entire cruise fare even if she were invited. I'd expect a pretty even split and would speak realistically to the other parent about what we can afford or not since they'd be taking her on an "extra" vacation that wasn't a part of our family plan.

I personally wouldn't find it offensive at all if another mom came to me with an even split idea. I would be flattered that their family wanted to take DD on vacation. Whether I'd consent to it is a different matter.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I guess it depends on the people you're friends with. I wouldn't expect someone to pay for my daughter's entire cruise fare even if she were invited. ...
I agree with this totally

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's not a generosity thing, it's common manners. You invite, you expect to pay.
I think that's true for things like a movie or a trip to Great America or a nearby water park. A full-blown vacation is a whole different animal. I know that for those of us who ask the other family to kick-in toward their child's expensive vacation don't particularly like being told that we are rude or the we don't have good manners. We are just trying to share our family's experience within our own economic constraints.
Quote:
If the invitation to join starts with the caveat of splitting some costs, then that's fine, but that conversation should definitely start with that.
Yup! That's the best way to do it if you are not paying for everything .
Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp258 View Post
We allowed our two daughters to each bring a friend on a seven night cruise on the Dream last year. We invited, we paid, for everything.
We are cruising for our DDs 18th Birthday in January. She is inviting a friend. We will pay for everything... cruise, airfare, excursions and tips. Her parents have offered to pay a portion but we refused to accept anything because this is DD's 18th B-day gift as well. Honestly, we are in a suite that sleeps all 6 of us and the 3-6 pp rate was not too high.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It used to be the norm that the bride's family would pay for everything, including hotel rooms for out of town guests and all the bridesmaid's gowns. Of course, in the olden days many weddings were small and there were no out of town guests and the bridesmaids were sisters or cousins. Now, everyone pays their own expenses and often a bridesmaid or best man will spend thousands to be in a wedding.

The OP proposed a split that I think was more than generous. As I said I paid for my daughter's air ticket and the family that invited her paid for everything else.

A group of us have kids who play on the same team. We do take other kids to out of town tournaments, and the host family pays for the hotels, gas, and set expenses, but the kids pay for their own meals and shopping. It's sort of an even exchange thing, as next time you may be the family who sends your daughter with another family. We don't try to make it entirely fair as some tournaments are 2 hours away and some 10, so the expenses are different.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekkio View Post
I'm debating whether or not to allow my teenage DD to bring a friend along with us on our 7day western cruise next summer. I know we can't cover all of the expenses for her, but here is the split I was considering:

We cover:
Cruise fare & gratuities
Meals pre/post cruise
Transportation to/from port

Her family covers:
Airfare
Excursions
Spending money

What am I leaving out? I'm really hoping to be able to make this work.

TIA!
Sounds very reasonable. On a related note, I have two teenage daughters who would love to be your daughter's friend!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #26
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Not exactly the same, but my FIL and MIL have paid for our cruises since they have more disposable income and said they'd rather enjoy it with us now than later.

We pay for our own airfare, our hotel before/after, tips and excursions. Sometimes grandma and grandpa will help out even more by paying some of our daughters' expenses (airfare).

While it sounds like a "free" cruise, it's not because we still incur thousands in airfare, hotel, food, trips, excursions. It's really at the top of our budgeting.

Which is to say, it really depends on money. If you can pay her way completely, that would be nice, but she and her family would probably be very happy to have a "discounted" vacation.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #27
daisydog2
Earning My Ears

I think the original OP is being very fair. We invited my brother in law and newphe on our next Dream trip. We made it clear from the get go that we would cover the cruise and the accomodations at DW after. we are not in a position that we could cover airfare/food/spending money. He was fine with that.. The way he saw it was that 1. If we didn't invite them, they wouldn't be able to ever go and 2. even though we can't pay for everything, we are covering the largest part of this trip.
Our son is an only child and we have taken his friends on trips before and we always present it the same way... Then they have the option of accepting or not...
daisydog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #28
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

We let our son bring a friend along on our seven night eastern cruise. The only thing we had his parents pay for was airfare and extra spending money for souvenirs.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #29
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

It is perfectly fine to invite someone's kid on a huge vacation like this by prefacing it with the split. No biggie. You are being kind inviting their kid to spend memories with you.
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

How old is your daughter and her friend? Have you been on DCL before? My son brought a friend once we paid for everything...but that was because his family had no $$ at all....he asked if he could bring a friend this time I said no....but he makes friends the first day anyway and we never see him except for diner...

my son will be 17 for next years cruise...just graduating from HS.

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: