Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Best Mod or Value to Minimize Walking

I just found out that I am going to be approaching the 6 month mark in my pregnancy for a short trip I am taking in December with my sisters. Provided I'm healthy and my doctor says I can travel at that point, I am thinking about our resort choice.

Usually when we take these types of short trips, we stay at Pop. Based on many stays at Pop, it is the furthest bus stop from every park entrance, except Animal Kingdom. This has never really bothered us, as we're all in good shape and could literally walk all day, but I've never been pregnant before, and I imagine 5-6 months in, during a trip when I'll be walking a lot anyway, I'll want to cut down on as much extra walking as possible. I'll also be returning to the resort each day for a break, so I'll be using the resort buses frequently.

So, if I want to minimize walking (mostly from bus stops to park entrances, hotel room to bus stop, etc) is there a specific resort you would recommend? I was thinking of switching us to POFQ because the resort is fairly compact, and its bus stops in the parks are a little closer to the entrances. I am mostly thinking of Epcot, the Studios, and the MK where Pop is SO much further than all of the other stops. It's been 4 years since I've stayed at FQ, so I could be remembering things wrong. We probably won't go to AK on this trip. If there is a different moderate resort you think would be even better, I'd love to know.

Thanks!
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Absolutely POFQ. The resort is very compact with everything being a 5 minute or less walk. POR and DTD are just a short boat ride away from POFQ and expands your dining options too!

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
I just found out that I am going to be approaching the 6 month mark in my pregnancy for a short trip I am taking in December with my sisters. Provided I'm healthy and my doctor says I can travel at that point, I am thinking about our resort choice.

Usually when we take these types of short trips, we stay at Pop. Based on many stays at Pop, it is the furthest bus stop from every park entrance, except Animal Kingdom. This has never really bothered us, as we're all in good shape and could literally walk all day, but I've never been pregnant before, and I imagine 5-6 months in, during a trip when I'll be walking a lot anyway, I'll want to cut down on as much extra walking as possible. I'll also be returning to the resort each day for a break, so I'll be using the resort buses frequently.

So, if I want to minimize walking (mostly from bus stops to park entrances, hotel room to bus stop, etc) is there a specific resort you would recommend? I was thinking of switching us to POFQ because the resort is fairly compact, and its bus stops in the parks are a little closer to the entrances. I am mostly thinking of Epcot, the Studios, and the MK where Pop is SO much further than all of the other stops. It's been 4 years since I've stayed at FQ, so I could be remembering things wrong. We probably won't go to AK on this trip. If there is a different moderate resort you think would be even better, I'd love to know.

Thanks!
I agree with previous poster that POFQ itself is small and easy to get around.

However did you ever get a preferred room at POP or ASM ? I have and it does shorten walk from room to busses.

I also like business class at CSR. The building has a great location to busses and it has fresh fruit (and other stuff) that a pregnant mom would need. Also I notice that at many parks the CSR bus top is usually one of the first. Probably because they are catering to the convention goers.

CBR, and POR preferred rooms are also convenient to bus and lobby at hotel. If you can swing a deluxe than WL would be nice. Elevators instead of walking outside and everything is indoors.
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
TinkPirateMom
DIS Veteran

I second the POFQ recommendation. It is the most compact.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

this may be impossible now - might try to rent a reservation with a DVC members for BLT, BCV or BWV - you can walk to the parks

BLT - walk to MK (monorail to Epcot)
BCV - walk to Epcot (boat to Studios)
BWV - walk to Epcot or studio (depends upon where you are staying) (or boat to both)

believe me the walk to MK from blt is around 10 minutes (others have done it in less) or you can ride the monorail to MK - then you have to walk over to CR - and it almost takes as long.

BCV - walking to Epcot in 5 to 10 minutes.

BWV - walking to Epcot 10 to 15 minutes.

or get you a scooter or wheelchair.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
this may be impossible now - might try to rent a reservation with a DVC members for BLT, BCV or BWV - you can walk to the parks

BLT - walk to MK (monorail to Epcot)
BCV - walk to Epcot (boat to Studios)
BWV - walk to Epcot or studio (depends upon where you are staying) (or boat to both)

believe me the walk to MK from blt is around 10 minutes (others have done it in less) or you can ride the monorail to MK - then you have to walk over to CR - and it almost takes as long.

BCV - walking to Epcot in 5 to 10 minutes.

BWV - walking to Epcot 10 to 15 minutes.

or get you a scooter or wheelchair.
Those are definitely the three I would recommend if a person WANTED to walk to the parks. However, the op said she is looking for a place where she didn't have to walk very much at all. Therefore, I would say POFQ like the pp's.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I am going to go ahead and book POFQ. I had thought about renting DVC, but didnt want to go with something non refundable.

Thanks again
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I am going to go ahead and book POFQ. I had thought about renting DVC, but didnt want to go with something non refundable.

Thanks again
Good idea about not renting.. Your doctor may say you are good to go, but what if later you don't feel like traveling, you can't back out on the rented DVC. I mean you can, but you will lose your money.

I agree with POFQ. It is a lovely quaint resort. I like bldg #3. It's a very short walk to the lobby/food court/shop. But I believe #4 is the closest.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling

To my knowledge, the bus stops for resorts at the parks can change on any given day for any reason. I think rule of thumb is generally deluxe stops are closest, followed by mods, then values but I haven't always seen it that way. Because it's a variable, I would stay where you want and book preferred.

POFQ is an obvious option because of its compact size, but I second the CSR business class suggestion above. It's around the same price as a preferred room, but all rooms are located in Cabanas 9B which is arguably one of the best locations at CSR. It also allows you access to the business class lounge which has complimentary food and drinks (including alcohol for your sisters, not you of course ), computers, etc. and the rooms are more nicely appointed. Its also supposed to include robes and turn down service but that hasn't been consistent. Its the first mod-version of "club level" and while its not as exclusive, it's gotten really good reviews.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
jillianml
Mouseketeer

close to bus stops

I would stay at all star movies! It is a pretty small resort and preferred room makes it like 2 minutes to everything! We stayed during spring break week and it was really busy but it all went very smooth! We are going back at Christmas time and are going to stay there again, absolutely loved it!
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

While the bus stops at the parks do change, the last few times I was there (about 2 years worth), CSR's bus stop was the closest to the gate for the resort return buses. It was among the first few stops at every park.

If you get a preferred room at CSR, you'll be close to the main building and to the bus stop there.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

POFQ, no question. It is a very small resort. Put in a request for building #4, and that will put you steps away from the gift shop and food court.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
POFQ, no question. It is a very small resort. Put in a request for building #4, and that will put you steps away from the gift shop and food court.
I literally JUST did this. Ha. Even if we don't get our request, the last time I stayed at FQ, we were "way out" in building 1 and it was still a really short walk to the buses.

Thanks for all of the tips - the Coronado Springs business class area sounds great, and something I will definitely consider in the future. I've stayed at FQ before, and I've been itching to go back, so I guess this is my chance. Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Another vote for POFQ.

If not that, then a preferred room at a value.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

POFQ - it is so small in comparison to the other resorts. Get a close room to the food court and you are set.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: