Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #76
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Replying to Rose's QOTD made me think that I would like to ask one as well, so here is my

Question of the Day:

Since we have so many new (or returning) participants I thought it would be nice to read some introductions from people. So please tell us something about you and what your goals are for this month.

Hi! I am Magdalene. I am from Germany and have been taking part in these WISH Away the Pounds threads since the beginning of the year. I am not good at losing weight quickly, but I can see a positive result from January to now (a little over 13 pounds). The best part is that I am finally back in what is considered a healthy BMI range.

I have two big goals for this month: The first obviously is weight loss. I have set a crazy goal of losing 4.6 pounds. The reason for that strange number is that this will take my weight below the next 10kg step. Which is a huge deal for me as it has been a long time since I last saw a 6 as the first digit of my weight in kilograms.

The second goal is to get back into a running routine. I am signed up for a 10k on October 3rd and I need to train for that. The last month was so hot that I did not get out for running a lot, so this month has to be better. I am a rather slow runner and am hoping to increase my speed. I ran the same 10k two years ago and hope to be able to get a better time this year!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #77
SettinSail
Cruise With Me Baby

Hi, my name is Shawn, I am married with a 16 year old son. In 2010 I started my weight loss journey to lose 50 lbs before I turned 50 in 2011. I didn't quite reach my goal but I did lose 32 lbs in about 18 months, in large part due to the support of my WISH friends. Since Dec 2011, I started gaining until I have now gained all the weight back So frustrating! I have a wedding to attend Sept 14th so I have a goal to lose 10 lbs this month. Very ambitious but I am ready for a kickstart!
Oct 1994 WDW Honeymoon - Grand Floridian Feb 2002 WDW DS 1st visit at age 4 - Wilderness Cabin Oct 2003 DisneyLand - DL Hotel Oct 2006 WDW - Wilderness Lodge Oct 2007 3 day Wonder Cabin 6076 Jan 2009 7 day Magic (Western) Cabin 5622 Aug 2010 10 day Magic (Med) Cabin 2539
SettinSail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #78
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Replying to Rose's QOTD made me think that I would like to ask one as well, so here is my

Question of the Day:

Since we have so many new (or returning) participants I thought it would be nice to read some introductions from people. So please tell us something about you and what your goals are for this month.
Hello there, my name is Linda (obviously) and I am single parent of an adult child who is now 22!! So I feel like now its my time to focus just on me! I am returning to the WISH family after a few months off. I started out great earlier this year with fantastic hopes and dreams of success. Then life and emotions got in the way. My weight loss stalled but at least did not go backwards! I had great success with weight loss a few years ago (100lbs!), however it was a very unhealthy way of doing so. It came to an end and then the weight returned, all but 20 lbs over the last 5 years. My life has gone through some big changes over the last 2 years and I am trying to loose the weight in a far more healthy way.

My goal for this month is 8 lbs! However my next Disney trip is only 3 months away and I would love to loos close to 25lbs by then. I have started tracking my food & exercise on MFP with mixed emotions. I still get very anxious with tracking, however it does seem to help so I am making a commitment to do it before my trip!

==================

I have been doing great with my diet & found some old DVD's that I used to love and used quite a bit back in the day. I have been using them and find they are still great for me!! We'll see how it works this month with achieving my goal. Another issue I am dealing with now is menopause!! It is driving me nuts!! My cycle is ridiculous as are my emotions, and for someone who falls into the trap of emotional eating, its causing all sorts of problems with keeping on track. I am hoping that with more consistent exercise and renewed focus on my diet, I will even out with the mood swings! Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!

Now its off to workout for the day before I head to work for the night! Hope everyone has a great day today!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #79
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

My name is Tanya, 42 with 3 kids: 21,19, and 17. I live in Colorado and have my entire life. I've been starting to lose weight and am down 24 pounds from my highest. I would love to lose about 50 more by Sept. 2014 as I am hoping to book a Disney Cruise to Alaska. Yea! We're also hoping to go to WDW next Feb
I am using Fitness Pal, which I really like . My user name there is Taro1971 if anyone wants to friend me please do! Ive learned that many days I was not eating enough. When I eat close to my calorie allotment for the day I lose!
I recently started hiking, which is hard for me, but I'm enjoying getting stronger every day. I'm also doing free weights at home and walking on a treadmill. I'm signing up for a 5K in December, my goal is to get under 45 minutes and not be injured. Last 5k took me almost 70 minutes and it was painful.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #80
JennStars9
Mouseketeer

Hi! My name is Jennifer. I am 37 and I have two kids. For years, I have complained about my weight and blamed the weight gain on my pregnancies. Well, it occurs to me that my children are 7 and 4. They can't be my excuse anymore. My husband and I started on our weight loss journey in February. We are using My Fitness Pal and tracking calories. I have recently started trying to incorporate exercise into my regular routine. I have lost 30 pound since we started and I'd like to lose at least 60 more. I am very glad that I found some WISH friends to help keep me on track and inspire me.

JennStars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #81
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post

Hi Buffy!
I think a goal of running 10 m/m is not unreasonable, BUT maybe not for the Princess this spring. Speed too soon causes injuries. And they are unfun injuries. Are you following a plan? Have you looked at Galloway's magic mile? (I think that's what it's called.) It would help you target a goal and maybe help you figure out what speed to aim for. Remember, your goal is to be adding on miles. And I could be totally wrong. You could be one fast mama by February. But I want you to be one healthy uninjured mama. Do some research, and you might get a better idea of what is reasonable. I have yet to hit 10 m/m for a half marathon--I got close in 2011, but missed it by ~2 min and haven't been able to get close since then. I have hit it for shorter races, but the half still eludes me.
Hey Rose,
Guess I should add more detail.
I don't plan to run a 10m/m for the 1/2. I know your(general your) overall pace is usually slower in longer distance races.

I'm following Galloway plan, and it's going ok I guess. But I'd really like to run more than one minute at a time. I can do 2-3 minutes at a 5.3 mph but I can't maintain that for any length of time. Which is why I was messing around with different plans and speeds the other night, I'm really considering going back to C25K for pre-training and then switch to bridge to 10K in October, I don't know if Blufin has a plan for 1/2. I feel like I got more out of that plan because this time last year my pace was 17:46 and this year I'm at a 14:30.

What I'm most frustrated with at this point is that I'm still 13:30-14:30 m/m for a 5K. I can not seem to break past that. I know that my pace will be slower than that during the 1/2 and I don't feel comfortable with that due to sweepers. I'm also having a hard time finding a 10K in the area to post a qualifying time to get out of the last corral.
In my novice way of thinking if I can do a 10m/m for a 5K then maybe be at a 12m/m for the 10K, I could be at a 13-15 m/m for the 1/2 and still feel like I can beat the sweepers.

I don't know, I guess I'm just second guessing what I'm doing. We were at the annual beach race yesterday and I'm watching these people come in and still look amazing after running 11.6 miles and the top girl came in at 1:10 and even the later people were coming in still running, not dying. I was like who the hell am I kidding, I can't do this. I look like I'm about to die after 3 miles.

Of course I had the same feelings last year and that kept me from signing up for the Donald 1/2 which I later kicked myself for not doing.

But on the up side I did go out last night and I did 3 miles around the camp ground, in 45 minutes. Not great but not bad, and I had DD with me who complained until I took her back to the RV.

ETA I have read about the magic mile but I have yet to do one. I need time on a track but that probably not going to happen any time soon because the schools track becomes unusable for outside people during school, to many sports waiting to use it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #82
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Buffy--I think if you want to do a plan other than galloway such as c25k, bridge to 10k etc you still have plenty of time. I think galloway works great for lots of people, and I will still fall back on it when I am injured, but I have decided it is not for me. Currently I am running a mile walking a minute (kind of like walking the water stops) and on my 7 mile training run averaged 11 min miles. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Galloway pushes the longer distances for half marathon training with the understanding that you will then be faster at race time on a shorter course. Well, my body does not do 13 plus miles very well, and I have found that I am better off working a little harder during my training runs (going faster) and going shorter distances. I think you have plenty of time to start over at c25k and work on getting your speed up.

Let's say you are starting at 0. If your "long" runs were up to 2 in August, 4 in Sept, 6 in Oct, 8 in Nov, 10 in Dec, and 12 in Jan you would be more than ready for the Princess.

So if you are concerned with your pace, then you have plenty of time still to back up and build up your base.

FWIW in 2010 I started at 0. I wasn't even working out at all. In May I started officially training and on Sept 4 I finished my first half marathon at around 2:25. I did not walk a step. Ran the whole thing. You are not starting from 0 and you still have a lot of time.

I hope this helps. Everyone is an individual and you have to do what works best for you. The important thing is to get those workouts in.

I know you can do it. I will be cheering you on!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #83
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Quote:
Question of the Day:
Let's see...I am 40-ish ( ), married with a couple kiddos who have flown the nest. My best friends seem to be the 25 lbs that keep leaving and coming back over the last few years. Who else keeps returning like that but a BFF???
My preference for exercising is weights, but I am awful at doing it myself. During the school year a group of us do it together, but in the summer I turn into a couch potato! I like Zumba too, and was trying to get into that this summer again with my Wii, but I broke some toes so that was the end of that!

I did just make my "Work Out Tips" jar that someone had posted on here. My plan is to start that tomorrow!

My DH's parents were/are extremely unhealthy so I have been pushing him to drop a few lb's. Together we worked at it this past spring and I lost 10 (he of course lost 25) but he stopped keeping track of calories and I lost the umph to do it on my own. Soooo 5 of my friends have come home to roost and I am determined to drop them before heading back to school. I'd like to go back at the same weight I left (or less!) and then keep on losing from there.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #84
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Buffy--I think if you want to do a plan other than galloway such as c25k, bridge to 10k etc you still have plenty of time. I think galloway works great for lots of people, and I will still fall back on it when I am injured, but I have decided it is not for me. Currently I am running a mile walking a minute (kind of like walking the water stops) and on my 7 mile training run averaged 11 min miles. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Galloway pushes the longer distances for half marathon training with the understanding that you will then be faster at race time on a shorter course. Well, my body does not do 13 plus miles very well, and I have found that I am better off working a little harder during my training runs (going faster) and going shorter distances. I think you have plenty of time to start over at c25k and work on getting your speed up.

Let's say you are starting at 0. If your "long" runs were up to 2 in August, 4 in Sept, 6 in Oct, 8 in Nov, 10 in Dec, and 12 in Jan you would be more than ready for the Princess.

So if you are concerned with your pace, then you have plenty of time still to back up and build up your base.

FWIW in 2010 I started at 0. I wasn't even working out at all. In May I started officially training and on Sept 4 I finished my first half marathon at around 2:25. I did not walk a step. Ran the whole thing. You are not starting from 0 and you still have a lot of time.

I hope this helps. Everyone is an individual and you have to do what works best for you. The important thing is to get those workouts in.

I know you can do it. I will be cheering you on!
This totally helps. Thanks for your input. I feel like I'm flying blind sometimes because I don't really have a running group. We have one local group but they are all elite runners and don't really seem keen on helping newbies.

So do you think I should focus more on endurance than speed for now? I know I can do 6.2, I did that Thursday, I think it was Thursday, on the treadmill. It took me 1 1/2 hours, which is where I guessed it would.
I've been holding back my long runs, 3 miles right now with the exception of the 6 miler (wanted to see if I could do it) but I don't know if I should start increasing my mileage now, or if I should wait another month or 2.
The Galloway training for the 10K/1/2 wouldn't start until October if I follow the same plan he did for the Dumbo Double Dare.

Sending you a PM, so as to not derail this thread to far. LOL
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #85
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Hello to all of my awesome friends! I can't believe how busy I still am! DD's last swim meet was this weekend though, so slowly but surely life will settle down for me! But not today. I have to finish inventory for work, DD has an eye appointment, and we have an end-of-season potluck dinner for swim team tonight.

I absolutely MUST get back to some sort of regular exercise, even if it is just a mile of walking a day. I was nicely down on the scale right before DD's party, but between party eating and birthday eating and no exercise lately, I wouldn't even WANT to see a scale today! Plus we leave for vacation on Saturday. I absolutely CANNOT go on vacation at the high end of my maintenance range. So back to "square one/day one" type eating this week.... tracking EVERYTHING, lots of lean protein, greens, and fruit. No carbs, no "extras", no slips or splurges! Walking/running every day, even if it is just a mile, lots of water and green tea.

I know I've missed a lot here with you all, but I had to just pop on and say hello. I am feeling overwhelmed with trying to catch up with all of the chatting and QOTD so I thought it best to at least pop on and say hello!

Off to get the next load of laundry on the line before I start my work inventory here....................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #86
sugarnspicex4
Mouseketeer

I'm 42, married with 4 daughters (hence the name "sugarnspicex4," hee hee). Their ages are 14, 12, 8 and 6. I just joined the board for the last two weeks of July. I have some family members who are obese and am determined to not follow that trend. In the past, I always told myself I would not let myself get 10 lbs. over my goal weight, not waiting until I'm 50 lbs. overweight before starting a diet program (like I saw my mom do over and over again when I was a kid). I've done Jenny Craig in the past and been successful at weight loss following childbirths

One of the reasons the weight had crept up on me at this point in my life was that I was dealing with a large uterine fibroid which created all kinds of problems for me. One of the symptoms was anemia and loss of energy. When the fibroid grew to the size of a grapefruit, I knew something had to be done. A year ago on 8/7/12, I had my hysterecomy via a laparascopic procedure (Da Vinci), kept my ovaries and cervix. So glad I did it!

Fast forward to last month.... when I realized I had let myself get 25 lbs. over my goal weight I knew I needed to really change the trend and do something about it. I'm tracking all my eating online with fitday.com, keeping to a balanced 1400 calorie diet and alternating brisk walking with jogging 5-6 days a week, doing a little over 3 miles every day. This morning I made it to 3.0 miles continuous jogging at an approx. 5 mph pace, which was a major achievement for me!

Thanks for reading this far and helping me along my journey! I'm only 3 weeks into this and am already feeling significantly healthier and more fit!

sugarnspicex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #87
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Question of the Day:

Hello! I am Jill, 36, married, and mother of DS10 and DS7. I'm a History/Special Education teacher in an alternative education program (I have kids that live there in the group home and some kids with behavior problems that just come to us from local schools). I've been hanging out here for a couple years here and love the accountability and support of the groups.

My goal for August is to lose 2.6 pounds. I've been struggling with these last 10 pounds. Grrrrrr. So, I am slowly going to try to plug away at those stubborn pounds. I need to start using weights again, too. I would love to get back to a gym, but wondering if doing dvds or youtube videos at home will work better with the family's crazy schedules. Anyhow, that's me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good morning I am finally getting a chance to check in. Hello to all the new people and the old, too! It seems like this month is going to be a great one.

I had an awesome time at our town's WaterFire event. It was a great family time. They estimated that over 30,000 people came. That's great news for our town and all the small businesses. There is another one in September that is called "World Fire." It is being compared to Epcot with different world areas. I am so excited to get a Disney fix in my little hometown

Today is going to be a rest day for me as far as exercise goes. I walked 8 miles Saturday morning then walked around for a few hours that night. My legs are a little achy, so I am going to rest them today. My boys were invited by some friends to go to Chuck-E-Cheese for lunch, so we will be heading there in a couple hours. Luckily, my kids don't want to eat there, so we will just play games and hang out. We haven't been to Chuck-E-Cheese in about 2 years, so it should be fun.

I'm off to get some laundry done before we leave, so I hope to check in again later. Have a great Monday!

Jill
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #88
bigsis1970
Eating and Drinking our way around the Food & Wine Festival Sept 26 - Oct 4 2014. Loves being Hunny to the Hubs. On the way to losing 1/3 of myself.

Quote:

Question of the Day:

Hi! I am Magdalene. I am from Germany and have been taking part in these WISH Away the Pounds threads since the beginning of the year. I am not good at losing weight quickly, but I can see a positive result from January to now (a little over 13 pounds). The best part is that I am finally back in what is considered a healthy BMI range.

I have two big goals for this month: The first obviously is weight loss. I have set a crazy goal of losing 4.6 pounds. The reason for that strange number is that this will take my weight below the next 10kg step. Which is a huge deal for me as it has been a long time since I last saw a 6 as the first digit of my weight in kilograms.

The second goal is to get back into a running routine. I am signed up for a 10k on October 3rd and I need to train for that. The last month was so hot that I did not get out for running a lot, so this month has to be better. I am a rather slow runner and am hoping to increase my speed. I ran the same 10k two years ago and hope to be able to get a better time this year!
Hi everyone, I am Michelle wife to the Hubs and mom to DS 16 and DD 19.. I started my weight loss journey in Feb 2013 when my Dr decided my type 2 diabetes was not being controlled well enough (my A1C was 9.1) and I would have to add a once a week shot in my leg to my meds.. EEEEEEWWWWWW .. I decided enough fooling around and start following Atkins as well so I go back for my 3 month visit and poof I am under control - down 20ish lbs and NO MORE SHOT (my A1C was 5.4) so as a test we stop the shot and I continue doing Atkins (not as strict but mostly) and BAM I am still GOOOD so No more shots for this kid ever - unless I stop following the Atkins program (A1C at my 6 mo was also 5.4) and I am not strict as I was and summer is hard for me I just want to eat fruit and summer treats like fried dough and pier fries, i am doing my best to have it in moderation..

my goal 1 : I have a size 8 little black dress waiting for me on my birthday (that I got at goodwill for 4.99!) in Oct that I am hoping to fit into..
goal 2 : I would like to hit 50 total lost and never to be found again..

I just got back to work after a week of vacation and my desk is a mess so I might just be reading this week as I try to dig out..
Take care everyone.. Michelle

Our family: Me - Michelle & DH - The Hubs DD -Princess B DS - Buddy Welcome home Hunny 11/26/13

Will our ponchos hold up Holy Rain !! 8D/9D for the Food & Wine 9/26-10/4 2014! OMG I went 3 Times in 2012 !!
Trip #1 With DD 4/7-4/14 2012!! Trip #2 With Work 4/29 - 5/2 2012!! Trip #3 Just Me & Hubs! Hubs 1st Trip 5/2 -5/7 2012 !!
Homeowners = 8/18/2011
R.I.P ( Race In Peace)Uncle Bub 06/05/2010 /Bandit RIP 4/1/1997 - 10/2/2013 / Copper RIP 2/1/2001 -9/23/2011/XO miss you all
bigsis1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #89
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone

Sorry, been MIA again, ended up having 2 social get-togethers over the weekend. Saturday I was cooking burgers and sausages for 40 people at my Union Branch BBQ, and Sunday we had an impromptu BBQ with family in order to discuss plans for FILs surprise 80th Birthday party in September.

For those of you who don't know me, I'm Helen, married to Duncan, No children (from choice) and 1 very spoilt cat!! I will be 50 in November, and that is the motivation for my current weight loss/healthy eating/exercise journey. I am a Health & Safety Advisor (second most hated profession in the UK, losing out only to Parking Attendants!!) and on top of that I have been an active union representative for 30 years, so that takes up a fair bit of my time too!! I#m following the Slimming World Diet Plan (UK only, unless you're in Dallas!!) and have recently started running for exercise. In shock that a pair of Brooks running shoes are going to set me back £84.99 (around $129)

Haven't made it to Disney since 2010, and no real prospect of a return on the horizon due to finances, but I can live vicariuosly through you guys!!!

I'm hosting for August, so will be getting the spreadsheet together at the end of the week - don't forget WI on Friday please and I'll update over the weekend.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #90
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

HI! I am Indigo’s Mom. Any of you that have children know this becomes your name for ev.ery.thing.

I am smack dab in the middle of my 30s. I was never a thin girl. But I sported a 10/12 really nicely until I had Indigo. I worked in fast food from the age of 15 so I was “somewhat” active. HA! But I was on my feet a lot and ran around all the time (does that count? ) so I maintained my weight really well. Then I landed an office job and I blew up and then I felt guilty and that only added to the weight.

Last year, we went to WDW for Halloween and by the 5th day I was done. I have never wanted to leave WDW until then and I knew it was because of how out of shape I was. So when DH said “Let’s surprise Indigo for her 5th birthday.” I said only if I lose weight (about 8-10lbs a month). The beginning of the summer I was ok. Then July I had some issues with Indigo’s school and this added a lot of mental stress so I fell off the wagon. I am hoping that I can get back on track by getting tips and encouragement from other people as well as be a cheerleader for others. That seems to lift me up and make me want succeed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: