facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #211
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Sunday, August 18

Lots of people say they don't eat healthy because it's too expensive. I give you $5 for a healthy lunch. Where do you go and what do you get?

Ok I have a spinach salad everday for lunch. I just add different stuff to it depending on what is on sale or I have in the pantry.

A big container of Spinach is $3.45
I get 5 apples for 5 for $2
Can of Chickpeas (or black beans) $.75
2 Cucumbers $.96
Deli Turkey $2.98
Zucchini 2 for $.65
Celery $ .99
Carrots $1.29
Hummus $2.69

so if you divide this out by 5 days

4 cups of Spinach each day is $.69
One apple cut up each day is $.40
Cucumber cut up each day $.19
Deli Turkey divided ea. day is $.59
Zucchini cut up each day is $.13
Chick peas in a 1/2 cup is $.37 per can

So the base salad costs me $2.37 each day. The celery and carrots are usually my snack in the afternoon with some hummus which comes out to about $1.19 each day for a snack

So for $3.56 not only do I have lunch but I have an afternoon snack too.

Some weeks I change out apples for grapes or pears. I might add yellow squash or radishes or broccoli depending on the sale and season.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #212
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone, thanks for the weights PM'd to me so far, I have now added colour to post #3 and added in a couple of missing people. If you've not sent me a weight for this week, don't worry, there are still 2 opportunities left this month to aim for DIS Green!!!

QOTD Lots of people say they don't eat healthy because it's too expensive. I give you $5 for a healthy lunch. Where do you go and what do you get?

This one is a bit tricky for me being in another country, but in the UK, you can get a subway salad in a bowl with a fountain drink for £3, so could I get the same for $5????? I love a subway salad for a quick lunch, faves are either turkey & ham, or chicken tikka.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #213
IfIHadWings
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
QOTD Sunday, August 18

Lots of people say they don't eat healthy because it's too expensive. I give you $5 for a healthy lunch. Where do you go and what do you get?
I was shopping Friday at Target & needed lunch so I bought:

Tuna salad kit (tuna, light mayo, relish & crackers) 1.49
Chabani Greek yogurt 1.49
Nectarine .50
For $3.50 it was a yummy filling lunch & could have been bought at any grocery. I could have bought water with the leftover money I guess.

Peace, MaryPat
IfIHadWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #214
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofIndigo View Post
Ok I have a spinach salad everday for lunch. I just add different stuff to it depending on what is on sale or I have in the pantry.

A big container of Spinach is $3.45
I get 5 apples for 5 for $2
Can of Chickpeas (or black beans) $.75
2 Cucumbers $.96
Deli Turkey $2.98
Zucchini 2 for $.65
Celery $ .99
Carrots $1.29
Hummus $2.69

so if you divide this out by 5 days

4 cups of Spinach each day is $.69
One apple cut up each day is $.40
Cucumber cut up each day $.19
Deli Turkey divided ea. day is $.59
Zucchini cut up each day is $.13
Chick peas in a 1/2 cup is $.37 per can

So the base salad costs me $2.37 each day. The celery and carrots are usually my snack in the afternoon with some hummus which comes out to about $1.19 each day for a snack

So for $3.56 not only do I have lunch but I have an afternoon snack too.

Some weeks I change out apples for grapes or pears. I might add yellow squash or radishes or broccoli depending on the sale and season.
Great plan for a healthy lunch. And, it's very reasonably priced! You could even add in a hard boiled egg or light string cheese if needed. Or, you can add a bottle of water if you were shopping that day and needed a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Hi Everyone, thanks for the weights PM'd to me so far, I have now added colour to post #3 and added in a couple of missing people. If you've not sent me a weight for this week, don't worry, there are still 2 opportunities left this month to aim for DIS Green!!!

QOTD Lots of people say they don't eat healthy because it's too expensive. I give you $5 for a healthy lunch. Where do you go and what do you get?

This one is a bit tricky for me being in another country, but in the UK, you can get a subway salad in a bowl with a fountain drink for £3, so could I get the same for $5????? I love a subway salad for a quick lunch, faves are either turkey & ham, or chicken tikka.
I, too, enjoy the Subway salads. They are very filling and healthy. I have had ham and turkey, but do not know what "Chicken tikka" is so I'll be Googling that when I'm finished here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
I was shopping Friday at Target & needed lunch so I bought:

Tuna salad kit (tuna, light mayo, relish & crackers) 1.49
Chabani Greek yogurt 1.49
Nectarine .50
For $3.50 it was a yummy filling lunch & could have been bought at any grocery. I could have bought water with the leftover money I guess.

Peace, MaryPat
I'm so glad you answered this QOTD. I probably wouldn't think of those tuna kits for lunch. I have run to a grocery store before work to grab something, so I will have to remember this. Thanks! And, it's a very healthy lunch for not a lot of money at all. People who get a value meal at a fast food place will spend more than $3.50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofIndigo View Post
LOL Jill, I am also a Pinterest addict when it comes to lunches. I keep looking at it and thinking "my kid will not eat that." But they look so cute in their little cupcake molds and sandwich cut outs.

How do they keep stuff from not falling out though? That lid must be secured really tight. Knowing my child she would be swinging it all over the place.
I can't imagine the lunches look like that by lunch time! I always thought that I would need containers with tight lids, then DS7 wouldn't be able to open them and be starving! And, he would shake them all up and it would be all mixed up. I also can't figure out how things don't get other things moist and soggy?!?! So if I'm putting a wrap in with grapes and cherry tomatoes, won't the grapes and cherry tomatoes sweat a little and get the wrap soggy? I need healthy EASY lunches to add some variety. My boys want peanut butter & jelly everyday. It gets old to me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I forgot to quote my QOTD so here is my answer~with $5 I would head to the grocery store and make a salad at the salad bar. I would add baby spinach, all kinds of veggies, and probably the julienne turkey or ham. If I had money left, I would add an apple or banana as well. If it was winter (I cannot get into eating cold salads in winter), I would go to the same grocery store and get a bowl of soup (broth based like chicken or a black bean type) and a piece of fruit.

I've had a lazy day just hanging here at home. I noticed my butt is a little sore from my race but I am feeling pretty good. I'm signed up for a 10k on Sunday. I was planning to do run walk intervals, so I hope I feel good for that. I made a menu and grocery list, so I will be out shopping early tomorrow. That's about all for now. I had a fun time coaching this week! Thanks to everyone who participated in the QOTDs.

Jill
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #215
jmudukz
Earning My Ears

Hi! I just joined the boards! Is it too late to jump into the challenge or should I wait until Sept?? congrats on all you're achievements!
jmudukz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #216
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmudukz View Post
Hi! I just joined the boards! Is it too late to jump into the challenge or should I wait until Sept?? congrats on all you're achievements!
You can totally jump in now for the rest of August. Just read the first couple posts to get the idea for the challenge. I see you only have a few posts, so you probably can't PM Eliza32 yet I think you can PM after 10 posts, so you can go through this thread and quote a couple questions to answer so your post count increases. It's pretty easy & straightforward. PM your starting weight and a goal to Eliza32 (our host for August). Then each Friday (or Saturday or Sunday~when ever you get a chance) PM her you weigh in for the week. If you have any questions, ask away!!

Jill
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #217
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Yikes! Slow day around here. I'm just checking in to see what's new & apparently nothing is I'll check back later.

Jill
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #218
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

jmudukz

i'm definitely having one of those days where I got a good workout in and now i'm DRAGGING..... did drag myself to the grocery and dollar store though so that's one accomplishment.

I live in a small town...so the big news on my local FB friends is that today was the first day of school....and they cancelled for fog! can you believe that?!? my DD didn't have to go today as first day is 'freshmen' day at the HS and she's a junior, so now she goes on Wed instead of Tues. first day of school cancelled....snicker snicker

$5 for a lunch, I like the Subway idea for sure. a lot of my go-to lunches are that's expensive: hummus and pita chips; lunchmeat, laughing cow wedge and veggies; salad

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #219
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Hi Guys

Just had to share......been to Slimming World group tonight and the most amazing thing happened............

They voted me Woman of the Year!!!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #220
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Okay.....so today was a very bad day for watching what I ate. I know we are supposed to have strategies for bad days, go work out instead of eating, clean your house, whatever....I don't find that works. HOW do you implement that? Am I the only one that struggles with eating out of frustration/anger?

Quote:
Congrat's!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #221
Zim
Meow meow

Quote:
Hi Guys

Just had to share......been to Slimming World group tonight and the most amazing thing happened............

That is WONDERFUL! Congratulations!

I have t had any time to catch up here. I have been keeping up with MFP, the exercising thread and sending weight updates but I haven't had the time to catch up in this thread! Hopefully tomorrow, but hope everyone is doing well with their goals this month. Hard to believe its almost September!
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 AM   #222
JennStars9
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That is awesome!!!

JennStars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #223
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Hi Guys

Great job! And I LOVE the shoes!!

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #224
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Hi Guys

Woo hoo! You look fabulous! Congratulations!!!!!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #225
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Jill, I loved your lunch QOTD even though I had nada to add to the discussion -- a new question and really, really great one!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: