Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #151
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

What kind of exercise/s do you enjoy the most? Do you prefer to exercise alone or with others?
My fav form of exercise is water aerobics & swimming. However I am nowhere near a pool and don't have time when I work to drive that far for a workout. I usually do my recumbent bike or DVD's. Every now and then we do get out for a walk with the pups or a nice hike, but this has been a crazy summer and haven't gotten out much.

If I am doing a hike or a walk, I do like to do that with someone, but if I am doing a DVD I usually like to do it alone. I like to concentrate on my technique and when someone chats with me, I get all uncoordinated!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #152
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

QOTD:

I think my favourite form of exercise is hiking and skiing (the later I haven't done in years!) and those I would do with others. But in my normal daily routine of exercise I think my favourite is plain walking. I am lucky to be able ot use walking as my main mode of transport. So I mainly walk on my own (and I prefer it that way) and just listen to Disney podcasts.

---

Did not have such a great start into the week. Sunday I went to a barbecue with friends and ended up eating more than I intended (but less than I would have without watching my calories). I tracked it all and used up over half of my weekly points on WW. Then yesterday I had a migraine and while I was at first doing ok with eating, I then started some unnecessary snacking at night. I was angry at myself for that, but then I realised that because I mainly have only healthy things in my house the snacks that I chose were actually not that bad: a handful of raisins and two slices of low fat cheese. So, today hopefully will be better again!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #153
jillbur
DIS Veteran

QOTD Tuesday, August 13

What habits sabotage your health plan? What do you do to try to control these habits?

I'll be back in a bit to reply

Jill
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #154
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

What habits sabotage your health plan? What do you do to try to control these habits?

Jill

Grazing. It is a horrible habit. Not sure how to stop it completely, but I just try to stay as busy as I can with things like scrapbooking and cross stitch. I won't eat when I'm doing these for fear of ruining the craft.

I also have a habit of staying up late (to enjoy the silence) but that makes me tired for the next day which leads to laziness and I also tend to eat at night if I'm up late.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #155
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaland View Post
My fav form of exercise is water aerobics & swimming. However I am nowhere near a pool and don't have time when I work to drive that far for a workout. I usually do my recumbent bike or DVD's. Every now and then we do get out for a walk with the pups or a nice hike, but this has been a crazy summer and haven't gotten out much.

If I am doing a hike or a walk, I do like to do that with someone, but if I am doing a DVD I usually like to do it alone. I like to concentrate on my technique and when someone chats with me, I get all uncoordinated!!
I totally understand the talking while doing a dvd. I swear as soon as it starts both kids need something! It sound like you like a wide variety of exercises which is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
QOTD:

I think my favourite form of exercise is hiking and skiing (the later I haven't done in years!) and those I would do with others. But in my normal daily routine of exercise I think my favourite is plain walking. I am lucky to be able ot use walking as my main mode of transport. So I mainly walk on my own (and I prefer it that way) and just listen to Disney podcasts.

---

Did not have such a great start into the week. Sunday I went to a barbecue with friends and ended up eating more than I intended (but less than I would have without watching my calories). I tracked it all and used up over half of my weekly points on WW. Then yesterday I had a migraine and while I was at first doing ok with eating, I then started some unnecessary snacking at night. I was angry at myself for that, but then I realised that because I mainly have only healthy things in my house the snacks that I chose were actually not that bad: a handful of raisins and two slices of low fat cheese. So, today hopefully will be better again!
Do you enjoy water or snow skiing? I have not tried either and feel as if I am not coordinated enough! It must be nice to be able to walk places daily. Do you still walk if the weather is bad?

It makes such a big difference to not have junk food in the house for those late night cravings. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about some raisins and cheese

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

Jill
My horrible habit is soda. I have tried to stop drinking it, but I just can't. I drink a can of Diet Coke or Diet Dr Pepper when I am stressed. I have tried not buying it so I do not have it in the house, but then I find myself stopping at Walgreens and buying a bottle or going through a drive through. So, I figure that buying cans is cheaper and I try to limit my intake as much as I can. I am very impressed by the people here that do not drink soda. It's definitely a tough habit to crack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
Grazing. It is a horrible habit. Not sure how to stop it completely, but I just try to stay as busy as I can with things like scrapbooking and cross stitch. I won't eat when I'm doing these for fear of ruining the craft.

I also have a habit of staying up late (to enjoy the silence) but that makes me tired for the next day which leads to laziness and I also tend to eat at night if I'm up late.
That's a great idea to keep busy so you don't munch mindlessly! I know lots of people who are night owls (my DH included) and it's hard not to eat late at night. He has gone from eating entire bags of chips (and still not gaining any weight grrrrrrr) to a protein bar or a handful or pretzels. He just has to make sure that he portions it out and doesn't eat right out of the bag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good afternoon. It's a gorgeous day here in western PA. I'm outside again with DSs. A friend of mine who lives in eastern PA called last night because she is in town visiting her family and invited us for a get together tonight. A bunch of people are going over which will be great for the kids. And, us adults should have a fun time catching up. Her mother is a wonderful cook and always has the best salads, so I am looking forward to a nice evening.

I'm off for now, but will be back later tonight.

Jill
Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #156
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Thanks for coaching this week, Jill!

Quote:
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

What kind of exercise/s do you enjoy the most? Do you prefer to exercise alone or with others?
I really, really love swimming and doing the riverwalk at my local community center. A lot of times I feel like I don't like running, although obviously I do or I wouldn't keep doing it, right?

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

I eat at my desk too much.
I do things because they are easy or I'm too tired.
My self control goes to pot when I am tired.

Mostly I try to be aware of them and avoid them. It is a work in progress. I'm sure planning better would help all of these.

Sorry no time for replies but I did want to share this little picture from sparkpeople with you all.

Just keep swimming!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #157
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

Jill
Not planning my meals. If I don't think ahead my mind decides that I don't care and I will eat whatever. even just knowing that I am thinking about what my next meal is going to be keeps me from grazing all day.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #158
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

I would have to say my biggest habit, is emotional eating and then followed closely by having nothing planned for meals. When I am working it is great, I have my meals scheduled and measured and I have no real time to just graze. Except for that darn candy box!! But even with that when I am in the groove, I can resist it. Its when things get crazy at home or with other coworkers that I am more inclined to dip into the box. When I am not working and if I have nothing planned, I tend to snack more or I am tempted to just have a "little" extra. But more often than not, a little will lead to a lot and then I feel even worse!!

As for stratagy, when I am working I just try to walk away from the box and the issues that are stressful. I work to have a life, I don't live to work. I have to keep remembering that when things get frustrating and I am learning to let most of these things go. As for when I am home, I am trying to plan ahead for meals and snacks. Having healthy options available is always a goal that I mostly achieve. But then there are those days.....

It an ongoing process and one that I will have to be working on for the rest of my life!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #159
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
QOTD Tuesday, August 13

Jill
Jill I am with you on soda. I love, LOVE, LURVE soda and sweet tea. I am very impressed with ppl that do not drink soad either. I do not do Diet anything. I like real sugar/cane sugar soda. throwback Pepsi YUMMO. I worked for Chick-fil-A for 15 years so sweet tea kept all our staff going and pretty much what I drank all day everday so it is really difficult not to have tea. To combat it? I have water by my desk. We do not have a tea maker at my office so that helps. The kitchen faces an office and I have told her to not let me have a soda. If I walk out with one call me out (loudly) at what i am doing. So far it has worked.

I have another sabotage. MY DH. I love him but he does not help. If he knows I am trying to lose weight without him even realizing it, he sabotages me. "Hey, lets drink some wine for dinner. Hey I bought you your favorite chocolate bar. Hey, lets go out for dessert. Lets go see a movie and have DD stay at your mom's house. I want Frito Chili Pie for dinner. Hey I went by Sonic and got you blah blah"
On and on. He pouts if I have a salad and made them something else to eat or if I just say no thank you.

Luckily I get up before him and workout (Jillian Michaels sucks!) and I pack all lunches. So my breakfast and lunch with snacks are great M-F. At home if he wants something unhealthy I make it but then I eat on a much smaller plate and say I am not hungry. With it being 5 thousand degrees outside I can say how hot it is and water will be just fine. I am hoping by the holidays I have lost enough to splurge a teeny tiny bit.

OK that was really long. Sorry
Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #160
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Quote:
Not so long, and very sounds a lot like me! Except exercising in the morning. I'd throw up!

Food question. If you are tracking calories, do you best guess homemade stuff? My bread recipe is from an older cookbook so it doesn't have a calorie count. Any tips?

I use the LiveStrong app on my IPOD to track. Not the full version, the simple/free one.

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 AM   #161
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Happy Hump Day!! Whoop! QOTD Wednesday, August 14:

It's Whoohoo Wednesday! Share something that you are celebrating today, this week, or even this month

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #162
JennStars9
Mouseketeer

Quote:

It's Whoohoo Wednesday! Share something that you are celebrating today, this week, or even this month

Yesterday we celebrated by husband's 40th birthday.

JennStars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #163
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Thanks for coaching this week, Jill!

No problem! I like coaching because it keeps me in check

I really, really love swimming and doing the riverwalk at my local community center. A lot of times I feel like I don't like running, although obviously I do or I wouldn't keep doing it, right?

I eat at my desk too much.
I do things because they are easy or I'm too tired.
My self control goes to pot when I am tired.

Mostly I try to be aware of them and avoid them. It is a work in progress. I'm sure planning better would help all of these.
I found that I cannot have any snacks at work or I will eat them all...usually all at once! Do you plan meals at all? I usually only plan dinners but have an idea of what I am eating for breakfast and lunch. I am thinking of trying to plan all meals and snacks because I think I'll do so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyabanana View Post
Not planning my meals. If I don't think ahead my mind decides that I don't care and I will eat whatever. even just knowing that I am thinking about what my next meal is going to be keeps me from grazing all day.
I'm exactly the opposite. If I don't have a plan, I just eat everything and don't usually track it. Do you track your food at all? I find that that helps as well as planning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaland View Post
I would have to say my biggest habit, is emotional eating and then followed closely by having nothing planned for meals. When I am working it is great, I have my meals scheduled and measured and I have no real time to just graze. Except for that darn candy box!! But even with that when I am in the groove, I can resist it. Its when things get crazy at home or with other coworkers that I am more inclined to dip into the box. When I am not working and if I have nothing planned, I tend to snack more or I am tempted to just have a "little" extra. But more often than not, a little will lead to a lot and then I feel even worse!!

I feel like I could've wrote this! I eat more sugary things when I am stressed and if I don't plan, I just eat waaaaayyyy too much!

As for stratagy, when I am working I just try to walk away from the box and the issues that are stressful. I work to have a life, I don't live to work. I have to keep remembering that when things get frustrating and I am learning to let most of these things go. As for when I am home, I am trying to plan ahead for meals and snacks. Having healthy options available is always a goal that I mostly achieve. But then there are those days.....

This is awesome! Keep thinking this and hopefully it will keep your emotional eating in check. Having healthier snacks and no junk food is always a good strategy.

It an ongoing process and one that I will have to be working on for the rest of my life!
Yes...a healthy lifestyle is daily work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofIndigo View Post
Jill I am with you on soda. I love, LOVE, LURVE soda and sweet tea. I am very impressed with ppl that do not drink soad either. I do not do Diet anything. I like real sugar/cane sugar soda. throwback Pepsi YUMMO. I worked for Chick-fil-A for 15 years so sweet tea kept all our staff going and pretty much what I drank all day everday so it is really difficult not to have tea. To combat it? I have water by my desk. We do not have a tea maker at my office so that helps. The kitchen faces an office and I have told her to not let me have a soda. If I walk out with one call me out (loudly) at what i am doing. So far it has worked.

I also love sweet tea! When we go south for vacation, I cannot wait to get my hands on some. I also keep water with me at all times at work and usually home. I'm laughing at your kitchen office story. I told DH that if he sees me with a soda today, he is allowed to take it off me and dump it on my head Hopefully, it doesn't come to that!

I have another sabotage. MY DH. I love him but he does not help. If he knows I am trying to lose weight without him even realizing it, he sabotages me. "Hey, lets drink some wine for dinner. Hey I bought you your favorite chocolate bar. Hey, lets go out for dessert. Lets go see a movie and have DD stay at your mom's house. I want Frito Chili Pie for dinner. Hey I went by Sonic and got you blah blah"
On and on. He pouts if I have a salad and made them something else to eat or if I just say no thank you.

It's very hard to try to change your lifestyle with a DH who isn't trying to change his. I've found with my DH and kids that I eat just a smaller portion if they want something like pizza. I make extra veggies or salad as well. I hope he see that supporting you is better for everyone!

Luckily I get up before him and workout (Jillian Michaels sucks!) and I pack all lunches. So my breakfast and lunch with snacks are great M-F. At home if he wants something unhealthy I make it but then I eat on a much smaller plate and say I am not hungry. With it being 5 thousand degrees outside I can say how hot it is and water will be just fine. I am hoping by the holidays I have lost enough to splurge a teeny tiny bit.

I have a love/hate relationship with Jillian.

Don't apologize. That's why we are all here. This is a great place to vent, get support, laugh, cry, or do whatever you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
Not so long, and very sounds a lot like me! Except exercising in the morning. I'd throw up!

Food question. If you are tracking calories, do you best guess homemade stuff? My bread recipe is from an older cookbook so it doesn't have a calorie count. Any tips?

I use the LiveStrong app on my IPOD to track. Not the full version, the simple/free one.
I track points with ww, so if I make something homemade, I just try to find the nutrition for anything close to it online. Sometimes I can find a close recipe on allrecipes and sometimes I just pick a restaurant item that seems close enough. Hope that helps

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good morning all

I never made it back here last night because we got home late and had to get the kids to bed. I had a blast at my friend's parents. There were so many kids and I only saw my 7 year old 2 times in 4 hours! And, of course one of those was when they brought out stuff to make ice cream sundaes They have a huge back yard that connects to the neighbors behind them and they leave the gate open so the kids can play in both yards. It was nice to catch up with my friends from school (some of whom I've know since kindergarten and we are now getting ready to turn 37). Plus, there was delicious food (some healthy and some not). Overall, it was a great evening.

Today DH is going kayaking with a friend so I will probably hang out and get some cleaning done. I got some books from the library yesterday so I will probably read as well. Nothing too exciting happening here! I'll be back in a bit to check in. Have a good day.

Jill
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #164
sugarnspicex4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
I do this all the time. Try this website: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php and enter your recipe. It does all the calculation for you. I then take the nutrition analysis and create a custom food entry in my calorie counting program (I use fitday.com, but this should work with yours as well). It takes a little bit of work entering in the data the first time, but if you're like me, you'll use the same recipes over and over.

For me, strict calorie counting is the ONLY way I can stick to a plan. I have never done WW points. I find it very helpful to know what my carbs/fats/protein balance is.

sugarnspicex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #165
sugarnspicex4
Mouseketeer

Quote:

On 8/8 we celebrated 18 years of marriage.

sugarnspicex4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: