Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #136
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

that is interesting on the non-losing-weight theory....I know I have plenty of days where I get a good workout in but it zaps me for the rest of the day.

I did get a 4 mile walk in this morning! woo hoo!!! the longest I've done yet this leg of my journey!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #137
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

The weather has finally turned cooler again (today it is even a rainy day, we did not have those since June I think...), so I started running again. Went for a 30 minute run and was quite pleased with myself that I was able to run at my usual 8 km/h pace without much problem. But I noticed that I have lost some endurance, the 30 minutes seemed rather long to me... On Sunday I am going to start the long runs in preparation for the 10k in early October! Need to start building up endurance again!

A question to the other runners out there: How do you measure the distance you are running? I use the Nike App on my Iphone, but am never sure how reliable it is.
Yay for cooler running weather! I use the Runkeeper app. I seems to be pretty accurate because my sister wears a Garmin about half the time (when BIL isn't wearing it). They are usually really close when it comes to our distance. I may look into the Nike app just to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Hope you are feeling better this morning!

Thank you. I am feeling better!

I'm off...............P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
thanks everyone for the warm welcome back I will be happy to post some pics!!

so I did remember to WI this morning and was pleasantly surprised to see the exact number I last weighed in here! yay! i'll take it after a 10 day vaca

i'm trying to get back into the MFP habit too...for anyone who wants more friends on there my username there is 'monarchmomx2' sorry to be confusing with that! I joined at first with some friends off the cushings board and that is my username there
Great job on the weigh in! Vacations are always tough, so I'm glad you ha a good weigh in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofIndigo View Post
Good Morning everyone!

To my surprise, this morning the scale told me I lost 2.5lbs...

Nice job! Congrats!

very surprised since I did not workout everyday like I wanted!! I made some adjustments to my lunch and afternoon snack this week and I hope that is a step in the right direction for next week.

Now to be strong this afternoon when we have cake in the office
Step away from the cake
Did you avoid it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Wow I'm way way behind on checking in with this tread! I just pm'ed my weight so I need to at least give a little introduction here.

Hi everyone! I'm Desiree'. I'm 39, married mom to a 19 year old! I hail from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

I've struggled with my weight pretty much my entire adult life. I blog about my struggles and successes. If you want to check out my blog its Finding the Skinny Geek Within .

I'll have to check out your blog later tonight.

Last November, something finally clicked! I've been entering my foods in MFP religiously and exercising at first 3-4 times a week and now I'm up to around 5 or 6 times per week. As of Wednesday, I'm down officially 50 pounds and on my 9 month mark too!

Wow! Congrats on your success!

My weight loss has actually been stalling a bit now so my goal for this month was to try to kick that back into gear and lose about 5 pounds this month. I'm also running a 5K in 2 weeks and I'm really wanting to run it less than 42 minutes. I'm a slow runner, so that time is even advantageous for me.

There's no such thing as a slow runner. You are just a runner.

I'm looking forward to going back and reading everyone's posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJessica View Post
Think I just figured out multi-quotes on my phone, yay!

The first time I figured it out was like Christmas It's so much easier to multi-quote.

Hope you get some rest and feel better

Thank you!

I'm still at my Aug 1 weight but with TOM, it's more than expected. Should mean a nicer number next Friday! We've got a farmers market tonight to sell cupcakes, so should keep busy. I'm hoping to get in a good workout as the gym is really close to the venue and hubby loves the selling part (I much prefer being tucked into an apron in the kitchen ) so he won't miss me if I pop out early... Really looking forward to a quiet weekend and a bit of garage sales Saturday morning!
How was the farmer's market? Did you sell a lot? We had a big community event last weekend and there was a cupcake/bakery there. I tried a sample of their coconut cake. It was delicious! The cupcake was actually like almond joy, but I didn't buy one. I think it was coconut cake with chocolate frosting and almonds on top. I have a weakness for cupcakes. Do you have a website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myweegirls View Post
Hi everyone! I'm not joining formally but am reading along for August. I'll be back in the saddle in September...we have a week of vacation the last week of August, and things have been crazy. I can't believe I'm saying this, but things should be easier when school starts!

Summer has been rough on my maintenance...I'm fighting with an extra 5-7 pounds, but I'm confident I can set my mind to it and get rid of them. The plan for this month is not to add to the problem on our cruise in a couple of weeks!

I hope everyone's doing great and enjoying summer!

XO
Liz

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
It sounds like you're quite busy! I hope you are having a fun summer and have a great vacation! By the way, I told my boys we are not allowed to say the word "school" around here I start back on Aug 26 and it's creeping up on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaland View Post
Good afternoon everyone!!! I have had a great week with diet & exercise and I am officially down 4lbs!!!

Holy smokes that's awesome! Congrats!

Now I am very encouraged to stick to it! Also I am loving my old DVD's I restarted. Today is my "free day" but I am still trying to keep it under control. We have a birthday dinner tonight with my bestie, an agility trial at the beach tomorrow, and then going to the ren faire on Sunday to look for costume stuff for our pirate theme at MNSSHP!!

Fun!

I am still pretty stressed out about our special events being available on Tues morning. I am not an AP holder so I can't book until then and I really hope the only 2 events I want will still be availabe!

Which 2 events are you trying to book?

Glad to hear everyone is enjoying their summer!! Now its time to go work off this breakfast!! Hope you all have a great night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SettinSail View Post
Happy Friday all Congrats to all who had a good WI. I was not happy with mine but determined to do better next week. My number last week was surprisingly low so this week was kind of just a maintain although I feel better and I feel down a little too. Just gotta keep on swimmin, right?

We are starting our 2nd BL contest at work 8/15 and this time there are separate prizes for the top 3 men and women. I don't want to lose too much weight before that WI, know what I mean

This is how I would be lol. I would want to lose the most after 8/15! Good luck! What kind of prizes can you win?

Jill I hope you feel better

Thanks!

Both DH and DS are out of town tonight and most of tomorrow. I think I will just kick back and relax tonight and do nothing! I'm going to make out a list of everything I want to get done tomorrow and then follow a schedule to get it all done. I love those days when I get a lot accomplished. Very satisfying!

Have a good weekend all!
I love lists and crossing things off. It does make me feel like I accomplished a ton as I look back at all I've done. Good luck and have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Hello all!

Jill, hope you are feeling better very soon!

Thank you!

I think the Nike App is supposed to be reasonably accurate. I use RunKeeper and also a new one I am trying called iRunner. They are all iPhone apps. I have a Garmin but I have a hard time making it work and it can't do the intervals that I use. I've been known to double check with the car odometer. One nice thing about the Nike is that people can cheer you while you are running -- I'm cheering for a WISH runner running a race right now.

So cool! I didn't know people could cheer each other on with the Nike app. I use Runkeeper as well and I do like it.

I'm a slow runner, too, and every loss really does help! Good luck on your 5K!

You are not a slow runner. You are just a runner!

I had a little loss this week .4 but I was hoping for more after two big training week-ends in a row. I'm hoping to have a good number next week.

Keep up the good work everyone! I am reading along and cheering for you all even when I am not posting!

PS Neener, neener poof fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I just did my first "long run" for my 10k training - if you can say that 5km are long. Was kind of happy with my time considering how little I had been running this year so far.

I was searching for 10k training plans the other day and came across this really interesting article:

http://www.halhigdon.com/writing/557...ight%26quot%3B

It is about why some people who train hard don't lose weight. The one thing that resonated with me is that research seems to indicate that people who train a lot cut back in activity in the rest of their life, so that the overall calories used in a 24 hour period is actually not as much increased as one would think. I think that this might have been one of the reasons why the 30 day shred that I did earlier this year was effective in toning me, but did not help me lose weight. I was just so exhausted all the time that I became quite a couch potato. And I was also hungry all the time from the exercise.

Strangely I often noticed myself that it was easier for me to lose weight when I don't exercise or only exercise a little than when I was trying to exercise a lot (which I never was able to maintain for a long period of time). So this seems to fit with what the article said. I thought some of you might find it interesting as well, as I know that some of you are a bit frustrated with the scale not moving despite a lot of exercise. May give you some material to reevaluate what you are doing and whether you can change something in order to get the weight loss going again!
Thanks for the link. I will be reading it tonight!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello everyone! It sounds like we had some good weigh ins. Mine was the same, so I need to get my butt organized with food. Anyhoo...I've been running around like crazy the last 2 days, so I am going to veg out tonight. DSs rented 2 movies and I rented one to watch after DH goes to work tonight. Then I plan to get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow DS10 has soccer evaluations at 4:00, so I think we'll take it easy and clean during the day.

So, my stress at work has somewhat subsided and somewhat intensified My boss called me and the other special ed teacher in and told us that their numbers are low right now to start the year and they only need 3 full time teachers back. We had 4 full time and 3 part time last year. For those who do not know, I teach at a small private alternative education program. My boss asked me & my friend to stay but we'd have to teach double subjects. I agreed to stay since I don't want to be unemployed, but it is going to be very stressful. Last year I taught History and this year I will teach History and English. The other special education teacher will teach Math and Science. The other teacher will be teaching health, careers, art, and music. So, I am very happy to have a full time job with health insurance for me and my 2 children, but I am stressing about how this is going to go! At least I have a couple weeks to prepare.

I am all caught up here and am going to head inside (I'm on the front porch) since I think DSs movie is over. They need to take showers and I need to unload the dishwasher and put a load of laundry away. I'll check back tomorrow.

Jill
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #138
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Buffy, you are having a busy summer for sure! How many days until school starts?
2 weeks for the little kids and 2 1/2 weeks for DS17. They let all the freshman go the first day alone to get acclimated to campus (14 buildings to maneuver) then the rest of the school goes.
I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza32 View Post
Funny you should mention that Magdalene, my losses seem to have slowed down significantly since I started doing the 5K every week and a couple of shorted runs during the week.

I have found the same thing. I need to figure something out soon. I don't want to stop training right now but I also don't want to be stuck at this weight.

I'm frustrated with my WI, which is why I haven't done it yet. I've been at 174.4 all week but when I step on the scale today it's back to 177.4, my original weight this month. I don't get it!!

Last edited by BernardandMissBianca; 08-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.
BernardandMissBianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #139
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

The one thing that I took home from the article I linked to is mainly the conclusion:

Quote:
If you are running to lose weight, I encourage you to separate exercise and weight. Yes, you should run for health, fitness, stress relief, and most importantly, for enjoyment. (After all, the E in exercise stands for enjoyment!) If you run primarily to burn off calories, exercise will become punishment for having excess body fat. You'll eventually quit running—and that’s a bad idea.
I will try to watch myself better in the future to see where my threshold is that makes me hungrier and more tired and to make sure that my exercise is at the level that it is fun and not work.

I am also thinking that this is something where those devices like the fitbit can be really useful as they track all your activity, so you notice when you start to be less active in your daily life due to being tired from the exercise you do.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #140
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

hmmm, that was an interesting article.

During marathon training I gained weight. I was starving AND I was very sedentary other than the runs. I was feeling so beat up that I couldn't do anything other than the long runs.

BUT, up until I started marathon training I think that exercise aided with my weight loss. The more active I became the more active I wanted to be. I often did (and still do) 2 a day workouts.

I think what it points out is how important it is to know how many calories you are consuming AND to be honest with how much exercise you are getting the rest of the day.

On mfp I consider myself sedentary during the day--I sit at a desk at work. So that is a low calorie burn. Even with my busy exercise schedule I can easily overeat my calories for the day.

BUT I cannot imagine living on 1200 calories a day. I llike food and I like that exercise buys me some more calories during the day.

The important thing is the calorie deficit and to do that you have to be honest with yourself.

Good discussion!

Having said all that, I have stress eaten myself up 2-3 pounds this week. But that's ok. Things have calmed down a little and I am feeling a little more in control. On Friday people were at our house for a termite inspection, appraisal, and home inspection. Hopefully we will find out Monday what we have to fix.

Time to go pack something. Hope everyone is having a great Sunday!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #141
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Good evening all

I just wanted to do a quick check in tonight before I start coaching tomorrow. I'll try to get my questions on early or post them the night before. I hope everyone had a nice weekend and you are ready for Monday

See you in the morning....Jill
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #142
Lindaland
Mouseketeer

Hey everyone!! Hope you all had a great weekend!!

I had quite a busy weekend, had a blast with the BFF at her birthday, and laughed a lot! The agility demo was great fun and everyone loved Puck the Wonder Dog!! He always draws quite a crowd with his famous backwards weaves!! And the ren faire was fantastic!! Apparently mead is quite potent!! Really exceeded my calorie intake today, mostly in alcohol!! But it was great fun and I managed to find a nice belt and bodice for my costume!

Jill, I was planning on going to Spirits Confidential and Sweet Sunday while I am there. However with the cost of the bodices, I decided to not hit the Spirits one and just get the Sweet Sunday, hopefully.

Time to refocus this week and hopefully loose a pound or two, but really, after this weekend, I will be happy to maintain!! Now if I could just start my period that would be great!! Menopause is reeking havoc on my life!! Its going on 6 weeks now and I just want it to be over and done with!! Sorry, probably TMI! lol

Hope you all have had a great weekend!!

Lindaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #143
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

What kind of exercise/s do you enjoy the most? Do you prefer to exercise alone or with others?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #144
Desiree
BL II - Purple Team
LSU Fan.. Geaux Tigers!
I melt when I hear him talk
Eats food one item at a time and in order

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillbur View Post
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

What kind of exercise/s do you enjoy the most? Do you prefer to exercise alone or with others?
Good morning guys! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

My absolute favorite is the elliptical. I love it. I can just throw on a tv show on netflix and just truck along.

I have a love/hate relationship with running but right now I do love it, so I'll go with that too!

I don't mind going with people but most of my exercises are alone so I can really go either way with that.

Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #145
MomofIndigo
Mouseketeer

I HATE HATE exercising. I find no joy in it whatsoever.

That being said I am happy that I am trying to exercise 3-4 days a week. I prefer any movement that involves weights rather than cardio. I am top heavy and when I do any jumping, or running I feel like I am going to poke an eye out.

I exercise alone, unless I am walking, then I prefer someone else there with me.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #146
JennStars9
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

It's a struggle for me to get motivated to exercise. I usually just do it alone.

JennStars9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #147
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Quote:
QOTD Monday, August 12

I love weights, and there are advantages/disadvantages to both.
Alone, I concentrate better, am more willing to push it and grunt & groan, but I am also more likely to find reasons not to do it.

With others, there is the motivation of I had better show up, the encouragement of others helps you to push through stuff you might skip at home and it's just fun to chat & have a good time. Down side is, all that talking can cut in on the effort!

Work-out done for today though, so good for me!

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #148
sugarnspicex4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

I prefer walking and running, it's so convenient to just throw on a pair of shoes and go outside. Here's it's so hot I try and do this before 7 a.m. so I can exercise in 77 degrees before it hits 100 mid-day. Right now I'm exercising by myself. I enjoy the quiet time to be alone with my thoughts, meditate, plan out the day, whatever.

sugarnspicex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #149
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

I like walking on the treadmill and using free weights at my house. I get so bored unless I can read or watch Netflix while I'm working out. I prefer working out by myself. To the extent that I ban everyone in the house from being around me when I am walking. I hate it when I am in the groove and someone sneaks up on me asking me questions while I am in the zone and have my headphones in. A little neurotic.
However, I am also trying to get out of that mindset. My husband and I are doing 30 day shred together. It is weird but not too bad LOL We also went on a hike-that almost killed me, but I was proud for having done it.

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #150
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good morning

QOTD Monday, August 12

I enjoy walking/running, circuits with weights, and spinning. I enjoy working out alone for some peace & quiet as well as with friends for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree View Post
Good morning guys! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

My absolute favorite is the elliptical. I love it. I can just throw on a tv show on netflix and just truck along.

I have a love/hate relationship with running but right now I do love it, so I'll go with that too!

I don't mind going with people but most of my exercises are alone so I can really go either way with that.
I'm glad you enjoy the elliptical. I do not But, I also throw on the tv and plug away. I'm glad you're loving running right now. Maybe that will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofIndigo View Post
I HATE HATE exercising. I find no joy in it whatsoever.

That being said I am happy that I am trying to exercise 3-4 days a week. I prefer any movement that involves weights rather than cardio. I am top heavy and when I do any jumping, or running I feel like I am going to poke an eye out.

Yeah...I don't have that problem

I exercise alone, unless I am walking, then I prefer someone else there with me.
I'm sorry that you HATE exercising but am happy that you are doing it. Sometimes you just have to find something that you enjoy enough to not call it exercise. Have you tried different things? My friends swore I'd love Zumba, but did not. However, I fell in love with spinning and I never thought I would!
I, too, enjoy weights and wish I could do it more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStars9 View Post
It's a struggle for me to get motivated to exercise. I usually just do it alone.
Sorry you lack motivation. Is there anything we can do to encourage you? I know with me, sometimes just putting on workout clothes and doing any form of exercise usually makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat fan View Post
I love weights, and there are advantages/disadvantages to both.
Alone, I concentrate better, am more willing to push it and grunt & groan, but I am also more likely to find reasons not to do it.

With others, there is the motivation of I had better show up, the encouragement of others helps you to push through stuff you might skip at home and it's just fun to chat & have a good time. Down side is, all that talking can cut in on the effort!

This made me laugh because I used to go to a circuit training class and the trainer used to tell us less talk and more weights lol. It is really fun with friends and definitely encouraging.

Work-out done for today though, so good for me!
Good job getting your workout in early

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarnspicex4 View Post
I prefer walking and running, it's so convenient to just throw on a pair of shoes and go outside. Here's it's so hot I try and do this before 7 a.m. so I can exercise in 77 degrees before it hits 100 mid-day. Right now I'm exercising by myself. I enjoy the quiet time to be alone with my thoughts, meditate, plan out the day, whatever.
Walking and running are totally convenient...and better~it's FREE! I love being in the outdoors but not 100 degrees Glad you can get out early before you sizzle while out there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good evening all

I'm sitting on the front porch uploading pictures to Walgreens, which will take awhile (208 pictures). My boys are out front playing with the neighbors and it's fun to hear them all getting along and giggling (even my too cool 10 year old).

We FINALLY made it to see Monsters University. It was pretty cute. The movie finally moved to our cheap theater ($3 for all shows) and it was free popcorn Monday, too. Better yet, DS10 didn't have drum lessons today and DH wasn't working so it was a complete family day out.

I actually didn't work out today or eat very healthy for that matter. I have 2 more days of my training plan for the half on Saturday, so I am taking it a little easier this week. I don't want to burn out my legs doing something silly like lunges and squats. I am also signing up for a 10k the week after the half. I'm not sure that's a great idea, but since I am walking the half, I figured I can run/walk the 10k.

Anyhow, now that I've rambled on and on...I'm going to get going and try to finish uploading my pictures, do a load of laundry or 2, and watch some tv with DH. Hope everyone is is having a good Monday. I'll be back in the morning.

Jill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: