Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
lucybalue
Earning My Ears

Package vs Room Only

Hi! I wasn't sure which board to post this to so I hope this is ok. We are staying one night/2 days in October. As of now I have us booked as a package (2 day tickets (just one park) and one night) which is not fully paid yet but am wondering if I should cancel and just do room only and purchase our own tickets. What is the advantage of a package? Here are my concerns either way:

We will be driving from Tampa and hope to drop our car off at the Poly (where we are staying) but not check in as it will be before 9am. Get on the Monorail to MK. Do MK until early afternoon, go back to hotel and check in. If we do the package, the tickets will be on our room key (magic bands? *fingers crossed*) correct? So if we are not able to check in that morning, will we have a way of getting into the park?

If we did room only and just purchased separate tickets, is there anyway to link them once we do check in and get keys?

I'm also wondering if we should switch for the cancelation flexibility. IIRC, packages can't be cancelled after 45 days but room only is 5 days. Is that correct?

I was hoping for a room only discount for Oct 1st but as we get closer to the day I'm not too optimistic.

Thanks!
lucybalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybalue View Post
Hi! I wasn't sure which board to post this to so I hope this is ok. We are staying one night/2 days in October. As of now I have us booked as a package (2 day tickets (just one park) and one night) which is not fully paid yet but am wondering if I should cancel and just do room only and purchase our own tickets. What is the advantage of a package? Here are my concerns either way:

We will be driving from Tampa and hope to drop our car off at the Poly (where we are staying) but not check in as it will be before 9am. Get on the Monorail to MK. Do MK until early afternoon, go back to hotel and check in. If we do the package, the tickets will be on our room key (magic bands? *fingers crossed*) correct? So if we are not able to check in that morning, will we have a way of getting into the park?

If we did room only and just purchased separate tickets, is there anyway to link them once we do check in and get keys?

I'm also wondering if we should switch for the cancelation flexibility. IIRC, packages can't be cancelled after 45 days but room only is 5 days. Is that correct?

I was hoping for a room only discount for Oct 1st but as we get closer to the day I'm not too optimistic.

Thanks!
You can check in well before 9am. Your room may or may not be ready that early, but you will get your tickets/KTTW card at that time. They will text or call you when they know your room number. A room discount is coming out Thursday (tomorrow if you have a Disney Visa or debit). You have the cancellation policies correct. I always book as a package, so I can't really help with the decision on that. Good luck!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

As the pp said, you can check in well before 9 a.m. The computers roll over at 6 a.m., so you can check in as early as that time and get your KTTW cards (even if your room isn't ready). If you are concerned that you might have to cancel at the last minute, cancelling the package and booking RO now would probably be best as you are correct that RO can be cancelled as late as 5 days prior to arrival without a fee vs 45 days prior for a package. Otherwise, I'd probably just keep the package and apply a RO discount to the room portion (if available) when the promo comes out this week.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

If you're not getting the dining plan, there is really little reason to book a package.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: