Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Store spinoff thread...

The thread about sending your DH to the store got me thinking about Brand names. My DH is really big on brand . For the most part I really don't have a lot of items that have to be a specific brand. I tend to lean towards sale items. Anyhow the one brand I can't do without would be Dukes mayo. What brand name item do you really love?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Coca Cola. I really don't like Pepsi and other colas are not worth the calories either.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

Land O Lakes white american cheese

I have tried multiple american cheeses from the deli and LOL is my favorite and the only one I can eat on it's own. Love it!

I almost always go grocery shopping alone but for some reason I took DH and dd with me last weekend. I sent them to the deli to get ham (didn't even need cheese) and he came back with Shoprite american cheese. At least it was white, it took me years to give up his yellow american cheese.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #4
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I am loyal to these brands:
Diet pepsi
Heinz ketchup
Scot bathroom tissue
Hellmans mayonnaise
Bumble bee tuna

There are other things where I prefer one brand but would buy another if I had to.

Last edited by cluvsdisney; 07-23-2014 at 06:00 AM.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post

I have tried multiple american cheeses from the deli and LOL is my favorite and the only one I can eat on it's own. Love it!

I almost always go grocery shopping alone but for some reason I took DH and dd with me last weekend. I sent them to the deli to get ham (didn't even need cheese) and he came back with Shoprite american cheese. At least it was white, it took me years to give up his yellow american cheese.
DH is the same way about the Land O Lakes American cheese! We could always get the prepackaged stuff in FL and TX, but we moved here to NY(he grew up here) he was WAY excited that you could get the white American at the deli!

I am fairly brand loyal when it comes to things that I feel vary from brand to brand. Like pickles...I only by Claussen. There are a few other food items that I stick to one company as well.

Now my hygiene, beauty and cleaning products are a different story. I ALWAYS buy the same brands/products.
Clorox Bleach
Dawn dish soap
Charmin TP etc...
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #6
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabeking View Post
The thread about sending your DH to the store got me thinking about Brand names. My DH is really big on brand . For the most part I really don't have a lot of items that have to be a specific brand. I tend to lean towards sale items. Anyhow the one brand I can't do without would be Dukes mayo. What brand name item do you really love?
Never even heard of Dukes Mayo

I stick with Coke or Pepsi- any other cola brand isn't worth drinking.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Coca Cola & Scott toilet tissue.
IMO Dukes mayo is not worth the price. I used to be a mayonaise snob. Would only buy certain brands. Now I'm very happy with Aldi's brand mayo, lol.

Book Challenge Goal 53/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #8
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

The only one that immediately comes to mind is Heinz ketchup. We will try other brands of just about anything. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream
usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
lynxstch
Love that Figment!
Turkey, Clay, and my favorite all time christmas song..all on the same day..it doesn't get any better!
Learned the hard way not to store meltables in the oven

Coke Classic, it's my caffeine fix, can't live without it, don't drink coffee, and can't stand Pepsi

Another Land O Lakes White American Cheese lover..they tell me it's just food coloring that goes in the yellow and that it's the same, but you can't make me believe that one

Deutschmacher natural casing franks..I miss those so much in MD, when I lived in MA I got addicted to them..I have a friend send them to me every now and then

Hood and Breakstone cottage cheese, 2 other products I can't get here in MD that I ate all my life
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #10
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese(it's what I grew up on, so it's what I like).
Cereal has to be name brand, I'm not too picky about what brand it has to be it just can't be generic. I think generic cereal tastes stale. Classico Pesto
Kikkoman Soy Sauce
Orrington Farms chicken and beef base
Hunt's spaghetti sauce
My husband thinks this one is on par with blasphemy, but when it comes to whiskey I'm not a huge Jack fan, I'd much rather have some sort of Canadian blend. Black Velvet is my personal favorite. I think it's a lot smoother. Although I do like JD's honey flavored whiskey.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. For the most part I'm perfectly happy with store brand.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

sigh, of all the brands I wish we had in Singapore, Land O Lakes cheese tops the list! I would only buy their cheddars back in the states.

A few brands I'm loyal to here or at home:

- Coke
- Kleenex
- Heinz
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxstch View Post
Another Land O Lakes White American Cheese lover..they tell me it's just food coloring that goes in the yellow and that it's the same, but you can't make me believe that one.
You're not alone. I feel like the "white cheeses"(American, Cheddar) are softer... Creamier maybe?
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Coke
Heinz Ketchup
Snyder's pretzels
Charmin TP
And this one is weird, but I always buy name-brand sugar. You'd think sugar is sugar, but the store brands are always lumpy.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #14
LBIJim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post

DW is another who insists on Land O Lakes white. The yellow stuff of any brand just looks nasty. We tried Shop Rite, Black Bear, and others but nothing compares to, as I call it, LOL. For fake cheese food product, it's pretty good.

I hope you told your DH exactly what type of ham (and water product) you wanted from the deli. I often overhear clueless men say " half a pound of ham." You can tell the deli clerk is inwardly rolling their eyes and thinking, "hey, bozo, we got like 27 types of ham." Deli clerk then asks "what kind would you like?" Clueless man goes "uh, I don't know, wife just said to get ham." No doubt the wife B&M's about whatever kind he comes home with.
LBIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #15
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Duke's Mayo

Clorax bleach

Dawn dish soap

All free & clear

Cottonelle TP

Bailey's coffee creamer (if I'm at a gas station or something, and they have a different brand, I'll use it. At home, though--only Bailey's!)

I prefer Pepsi Throwback to any other soda, but prefer regular Coke to regular Pepsi. I like the real sugar in them, as opposed to corn syrup.

And I NEVER buy generic frozen vegetables. I can do Birds Eye or Green Giant, but the generics always seem icky.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: