Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Do you stay at your house while workers are there?

We are currently not living in our home due to water damage which led the emergency service company to finding hidden mold, which then led them to finding asbestos.

2 1/2 weeks later, it's finally time for the remodeling to begin. There will be work crews at the house from 7:30am - 3:30pm; one of us (probably me) will need to be there to let them in each day and to lock up when they leave.

ALL of the water has been turned off in to the house, which is the main reason we haven't been able to live there.

Anyway, for those of you who've had fairly major work done on your house, do you stick around all day?? We have most of our valuables locked in a safe, but do ever worry about the various work crews possibly walking through your house while no one else is there? I don't think that the contractor will be there all the time.

The hotel we're staying in is about 20 minutes from our house. I'm exhausted from all of the back and forth I/we have already done; and I know it's only a matter of another 3+ weeks until we can move back in....and I'm trying to keep things in perspective here....

So do I open the house and leave until it's time to go back and lock up at the end of the day? Or stay there pretty much all day????

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
abdmom
DIS Veteran

I would not stay there while they are removing asbestos.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
I would not stay there while they are removing asbestos.
No, no.... all of that is done. Now the rebuilding of the rooms they had to tear apart is ready to begin.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Not exactly major reno work like you're having done, but I run the warranty department for a homebuilder. Our policy is that our warranty techs and sub-trades are not permitted to work alone in a home without the presence of either the owner or a person they've designated to be responsible. The party also needs to "sign off" when we leave that everything is to their satisfaction. We don't leave any margin for error regarding accidental damage or loss, etc.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Not exactly major reno work like you're having done, but I run the warranty department for a homebuilder. Our policy is that our warranty techs and sub-trades are not permitted to work alone in a home without the presence of either the owner or a person they've designated to be responsible. The party also needs to "sign off" when we leave that everything is to their satisfaction. We don't leave any margin for error regarding accidental damage or loss, etc.
I just finished a top to bottom remodel, all the remodeling firms I got bids from (including Sears) put a lockbox on the house. But this was a project that ran nearly 6 months. No way DW or I could be off work for 6 months, or find someone to be there. And all the contractors in their materials make it clear they are bonded so that if there is an issue, the insurer will take care of things.

Best I can figure I had about 33 different people in my house over the entire project.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I just finished a top to bottom remodel, all the remodeling firms I got bids from (including Sears) put a lockbox on the house. But this was a project that ran nearly 6 months. No way DW or I could be off work for 6 months, or find someone to be there. And all the contractors in their materials make it clear they are bonded so that if there is an issue, the insurer will take care of things.

Best I can figure I had about 33 different people in my house over the entire project.
We're all bonded and insured too, but that won't salvage customer satisfaction if something goes wrong. My family is 3 days away from moving into our reno; it's had a lockbox on it for a month, which I had no qualms about since we don't actually live there (at least not yet).
Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #7
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

We had some work done in one of our bathrooms last week that took two days. I stayed in the house the entire time. The workers needed the garage door open so they could use the electrical outlets for their tools. They also tended to leave the front door open for long periods of time. I kept closing it to keep the bugs out and the A/C in. I wasn't worried about them taking anything. I was worried about who might wander in from the street. We've had several daytime burglaries in our neighborhood over the past few years. An open door just seems like an invitation to come in and grab something. The bathroom is upstairs and the workers were sometimes up there for hours without coming down. They wouldn't have heard anyone sneaking in and rummaging around downstairs.

Sound paranoid? That's possible. It comes from having a dad who worked as a burglary detective. I've heard too many stories to not be extra vigilant about my house.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #8
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
We had some work done in one of our bathrooms last week that took two days. I stayed in the house the entire time. The workers needed the garage door open so they could use the electrical outlets for their tools. They also tended to leave the front door open for long periods of time. I kept closing it to keep the bugs out and the A/C in. I wasn't worried about them taking anything. I was worried about who might wander in from the street. We've had several daytime burglaries in our neighborhood over the past few years. An open door just seems like an invitation to come in and grab something. The bathroom is upstairs and the workers were sometimes up there for hours without coming down. They wouldn't have heard anyone sneaking in and rummaging around downstairs.

Sound paranoid? That's possible.
It comes from having a dad who worked as a burglary detective. I've heard too many stories to not be extra vigilant about my house.
Not paranoid At ALL. We work exclusively in new subdivisions with tons of construction activity going on and new families moving in constantly. People get desensitized to strangers coming and going in and out of houses. There have even been cases of thieves backing trucks up on driveways and cleaning out the place brazenly through the front door in broad daylight without anyone in the neighbourhood batting an eyelash. It certainly does happen and active job sites are easy targets. And no, your tradesmen would likely not stop anyone from entering your house - they have no way of knowing who belongs there and who doesn't. Good call on staying home.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I'm either there or in and out without warning. Former cop here and I don't trust many people.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

We had a major renovation done two years ago. I was in and out all day thoughout the project.
We are having plumbing work done next week. My husband scheduled it for his day off, more so he could make sure the work is complete before handing out the check.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

I'm getting ready to have my basement remodeled.
there will be times when the remodelers will be there alone.

Basically, I've done my due diligence. I'm removing any thing of value outside of the tv sets. I went with a remodeler who is established in Philadelphia and I've seen his work. He will be there all day, every day with his crew.

there will be no days when they are there all day with no one home. It will be more like a couple of hours when schedules overlap.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

After having $500 hidden cash disappear during our remodeling project, if we ever have any work done again, you better believe one of us will be here at all times.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
lucas
°o°

I would be there.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #14
aprilchem
DIS Veteran

We don't stay the whole time, but we both work full time and cannot take off weeks at a time to supervise construction projects. I make sure we use licensed and bonded contractors who have a history of working in my area, and we remove most of our valuables and take them to our offices.

When we built our first addition to our house, we did have a pile of lottery tickets go missing on us - I had gotten them as a gag gift for Christmas and they were worth something like $17 (they'd already been scratched off). I didn't bother trying to get reimbursed for that by the contractor because it wasn't worth it to me. I did let him know, however, so he could watch his subs closely.
aprilchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #15
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Wow I could never hire a company with those rules- no way can I be glued to my house for the entire length of a home improvement job. When we had an addition built on it was great because they built the whole thing without cutting the wall to access the main house until the last minute so I would just leave the window of the addition unlocked and they would go in through there. For the kitchen I left them alone all the time because I had to work. When I had the floors done we went and stayed in a hotel for 2 days and my neighbors came over in the morning and let the guy in and then locked up when he was done.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: