Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #76
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmel View Post
I dislike it so much I chose not to have a shower with my second child.
Maybe it's another one of those "regional" things but I don't know anyone who has had a shower for a second child anyway. The only time I have ever known someone to have a second shower is when there is a big time gap between babies.
KAMLEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #77
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmel
. I dislike it so much I chose not to have a shower with my second child. I also am not a cutesy wrapper so I wiould gladly take a gift unwrapped. I may even try this at my kids next birthday. Have a large party bag at the door to drop gifts in and he can just pull them out one at a time and show them.

A shower for a SECOND CHILD? I wouldn't even bother to attend that- after the shower for a first child, showers for second or more kids are just greedy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #78
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

If a young mom already has a little boy and is expecting a girl, I don't mind giving her something pink and frilly.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #79
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
A shower for a SECOND CHILD? I wouldn't even bother to attend that- after the shower for a first child, showers for second or more kids are just greedy.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #80
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I had a shower for my sister's third child but I held it a few weeks after the baby was born. She doesn't see most of the family with any regularity so it was nice for everyone to meet the baby. There is a 10 year age difference between her 2nd and 3rd plus her 3rd is a girl while the older two are boys.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #81
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

As a church group we have showers for all the babies. Depending upon the situation we do gifts, or not. I can't imagine not celebrating every baby.
Burnedout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #82
ten6mom
Mouseketeer

I was thrown a small baby shower for my second son by my work friends. There are only about 2.5 years between him and my older son. I received mostly diapers which was perfect!

All the gifts were wrapped.

I asked around at work and so far none of the girls here have ever heard of or been invited to a shower with no gift wrapping.

ten6mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #83
kamik86
DIS Veteran

My thoughts...

I could see not wanting to take the time to unwrap everything... it was pretty long at the last few showers I went to.

I don't mind everyone knowing what I brought I mean if they unwrap the presents that happens too so nothing really changed there. Maybe its because the last two showers I went to were for cousin's I wasn't that close to so no one expected me to be giving the most lavish gifts anyway.

Now I don't haev to realize the day before that I completely forgot to get a gift bag or wrap it or a card etc. I am good at remembering the present but forget all that other stuff.

As for having a shower for a second child, as long as you don't expect as much, mostly diapers and clothes and littler things I think a second one is ok... every baby should be celebrated.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #84
Ciao Mickey
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
I'm a blabbermouth and have no self-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
You laugh but there was a thread on the DIS one year talking about that very thing. Some people don't.

To me, walking into a room with an unwrapped gift is like walking into a room naked.

To each his own.
Ciao Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #85
AlohaKeke
Earning My Ears

I just had my shower this past weekend. On Crate and Barrel's registry they ask if you want to 'go green' and not have gifts wrapped. I didn't think much of it at the time since I was thinking of it applying to gifts that are shipped to me.

Only a few people noticed that the registry said that, and even then everything was in boxes so even without the wrapping paper it is still a surprise as to what is inside the box.
AlohaKeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #86
aprilpeter
Earning My Ears

I like to wrap the gifts whether they are purchased from the gift registry of off the registry. A gift is always meant for surprises and people are always curious about what they are going to receive as a gift.
aprilpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #87
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
As each of my sisters and my sister in law got pregant with our 2nd and 3rd kids, my mom planned a 'sisters shower."

We all got some new clothes and odds and ends for the baby. It was a wonderful excuse to get together and ensure that not ALL the clothes would be hand-me-downs. (We did pass a lot of clothes on from one to the next, just as we did maternity clothes.)

But a "real" shower for a 2nd or 3rd child?? No, not under normal circumstances for anyone I know. I see a huge difference between "celebrating the baby"-- we do that with a Christening and both genders get to celebrate-- and another shower.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #88
Burnedout
DIS Veteran

Not all christen. Our church doesn't. You had a shower past the first one. So really, what is your point. It is ok for you and your circumstance but not others!
Burnedout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #89
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout View Post
Not all christen. Our church doesn't. You had a shower past the first one. So really, what is your point. It is ok for you and your circumstance but not others!
First of all, I'm certainly not the arbiter of "what is OK"... I was just speaking of my own experiences. And mine does include a Christening for each child.

Secondly, as I explained, the "sister's shower" was for my sisters and sister in law. It wasn't for my neighbors or coworkers or cousins. It was for the women in my world with whom I'm closest. We all would have bought a gift anyway. As I explained, the sisters shower merely gave us the excuse to get together.

Do as you choose; I certainly don't care. But the fact that your opinion or experiences don't agree with mine doesn't make mine any less valild, or call for any sort of defensiveness on your part.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: