Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #31
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
And it eliminates the silly "make a hat & veil out of the wrapping paper & ribbon" activity at showers!
Thank goodness!
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
I received a baby shower invitation that said "Please be a dear and wrap in clear". I have no idea what that means.
I would wrap it in saran wrap good luck trying to unwrap that present
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #33
Charmel
Earning My Ears

I would prefer this over the not opening presents until everyone is gone. I like seeing what people got. As for my own personal baby shower I really wish I would have thought of this. I do not like being the center of attention and having every eye on me as I sit for an hour and unwrap. I dislike it so much I chose not to have a shower with my second child. I also am not a cutesy wrapper so I wiould gladly take a gift unwrapped. I may even try this at my kids next birthday. Have a large party bag at the door to drop gifts in and he can just pull them out one at a time and show them.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Aw, I get the green part, but I think it's a little sad. I like well wrapped presents and I think unwrapping is a lot of fun. Plus, the "bridal bouquet made out of shower present ribbons" is such a tradition. I'm glad my friends aren't on board with this no-wrap trend.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #35
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

I don't mind not wrapping the gifts, but I have to say it's incredibly clumsy wording. "Don't wrap to save time" sounds a bit like unwrapping the presents is such a hassle that the recipient can't be bothered. Which may well be true, but is slightly less than gracious.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #36
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I actually just went to a baby shower today that asked us not to wrap the gifts. She's a close friend of mine. She said it was for two reasons. The first was to be "green" and not waste paper. The second was that she didn't want to make people sit through the long gift-opening process so they just put all the unwrapped gifts on a table to be displayed. No problems with it on my end!

ETA: I just read the above posts. It's definitely a generational thing. A lot of folks in my age group (I'm 30) aren't opening the gifts in front of everyone anymore. The last few baby and wedding showers I've been to didn't do it and I can't say I mind at all. I actually hate that part, especially if you didn't spend as much as everyone else.

These type of events just scream - GIFT GRAB!!!!!!
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #37
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelhalo View Post
This sounds awesome to me. I have always hated feeling like I have to keep buying more and more to go with my gift because I know it will be opened in front of everyone and I don't want to look cheap. Sometimes my budget is just tight but I don't like looking stingy as EVERYONE in the room watches and takes pictures of the honored guest opening my gift.
How would this prevent you from not looking cheap?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #38
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

I am all for this and just wish I would have thought of it 10 years ago! I hated opening all the gifts in front of everyone. It was embarrassing, especially when I got the ugliest blanket my husbands grandmother made. It's impossible to pretend that something is lovely, when its downright hideous.
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #39
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I think the pp who said something about appearing cheap was talking about when the bride opens your gift in front of everyone and it is announced to the room, " this gift is from Sally Smith!" Then everyone looks at sally smith and the bride opens the gift and holds it up announcing, "Ohhhhh it's a blender!"

The whole no wrapping eliminates that. Gifts are displayed and anyone can walk by and gaze at the gifts but there is no public proclamation of what everyone bought, no room full of eyes on you as the bride opens your gift etc. Some people can't afford gifts on the registry and just purchase simple things, like a picture frame, and may not want everyone to know you didn't drop hundreds of dollars on a china place setting. At least I think that is what she meant about appearing cheap!
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
MINNIEsotanice
Earning My Ears

My friend had a baby shower where we weren't supposed to wrap gifts, which was fine. It was nice to see the gifts displayed and did save time. The kicker was instead of a card we were to get a book instead. Most books are twice the price of a card! I went to the dollar store and got a book. This friend is a little greedy so I didn't feel bad at all going cheap on my book.
MINNIEsotanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post

These type of events just scream - GIFT GRAB!!!!!!
How? Because there's no wrapping paper? So if they were wrapped the event wouldn't be an excuse for gifts? Isn't that exactly what a baby shower is?
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #42
anniemae

LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #43
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
How? Because there's no wrapping paper? So if they were wrapped the event wouldn't be an excuse for gifts? Isn't that exactly what a baby shower is?
They actually thank you for the gift when they open it. This way they don't want to put out any effort in getting a gift.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #44
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.
Wouldn't it have been easier to not have the shower?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
anniemae

No, it wouldn't have been easier not to have a shower. I wanted our extended families to meet before the wedding and I was all for a shower, I just did not want to be up in front of everyone opening gifts, I hate being the center of attention. Plus, I had a group of bridesmaids, as well as elderly relatives on both sides of our families that were very insistent that i have a shower, which I was fine with, I just didn't want the traditional "shower games."

To each his own, I know a lot of people that love the traditional showers with the games and opening of the gifts, oooing and ahhhhing etc. Just not for me! There is no right or wrong, just what a person is comfortable with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: