Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

Johnny Football: Was he set up?

Was just wondering if Johnny was set up with these videos that the "autograph brokers" have. Yes it is his fault for going a long with it in the first place, especially since he is not a poor kid that has no resources at home. I also think the rule is stupid for not allowing a student athlete to profit from his own signature, hopefully that will be over turned. But I can't help but wonder if one or more of these episodes were part set up, part profit for the scum bags that do this to these kids. I really hope he doesn't get suspended, that will be really a shame. I am not an A&M fan, more of an Alabama fan, but I was hoping he would be there for the big game, it will not even be a game if he's not there.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

The kid was stupid to get involved but based on stories over the last few months he's not very smart.

But NCAA rules are set up so everyone makes money but the athlete. Hopefully the various lawsuits making their way through the courts will destroy the NCAA and allow the athletes to get paid like the athletes they are.

can anyone explain why he can't get paid for his autograph but someone in college can invent Microsoft, Facebook, et al an profit from it?
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
mjantz
DIS Veteran

The belief is that he is getting paid. He is getting a college education & travel opportunities. Also, whenever they visit a school it's customary to get a gift from the school like an RC car or a jacket.
I do think student athletes who qualify should receive a stipend for expenses. Some of these kids come from very poor families & the money just isn't there to send them pocket change for dates & stuff.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjantz View Post
The belief is that he is getting paid. He is getting a college education & travel opportunities. Also, whenever they visit a school it's customary to get a gift from the school like an RC car or a jacket.
I do think student athletes who qualify should receive a stipend for expenses. Some of these kids come from very poor families & the money just isn't there to send them pocket change for dates & stuff.
The bolded 100%. They ARE getting paid, not only in tuition, books, and housing, but meals and (some) apparel. No, they're not getting all the money they generate for the schools, but do you get all the money you generate for your employer?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
The bolded 100%. They ARE getting paid, not only in tuition, books, and housing, but meals and (some) apparel. No, they're not getting all the money they generate for the schools, but do you get all the money you generate for your employer?
No you don't but most people are get paid based on their skills. Mach Madness generates $1 Billion dollars in revenue for a month of basketball. Coaches, schools, networks, the NCAA make millions, the players virtually nothing in comparison. Even after they graduate the NCAA owns the players likeness and the NCAA makes money selling jerseys and video games where the players don't.

Players can get cut for any reason from a team and lose their scholarship. Injured while playing? Goodbye to the scholarship. It's all weighted in favor of the school and NCAA and the players have little choice since the professional leagues have conspired with the NCAA to not draft players right out of high school.

The best thing that could happen to athletes is that the NCAA gets taken to the cleaners in various court cases and goes away and the left over scholarships go to students that really want to go to school.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Mum and Gram are at Bingo tonight, so it's cereal for dinner. "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Something that might be of interest: Jedaveon Clouney has more items than Johnny on EBay w same broker. This broker has tons of signed items from many other top players on EBay. Clouney has more than Johnny. He has a bunch from Braxton Miller, Teddy Bridgewater, Todd Gurley, AJ McCarron, etc.

*1993 - CBR* *1996 - CR* *1999 - Poly* *2005 - College Program* *2005 - CBR* *2006 - Off site* *2008 - ASMu* *2012 - Pop* *2012 - POR Royal Guest Room* *2013 - All Star Sports* *2013 - Disneyland* *2014 - ASMO* *2014 - AoA* *2014 - WL* *2015 - POR Royal Guest Room*

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
tOSU
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That is the argument, the NCAA exploits these athletes to make millions. The athlete is not allowed to make any money selling THEIR autograph or making appearances. The NCAA is joke.

Do the same rules apply to academic scholarships? If someone wanted to buy an item signed by a student on academic scholarship, would they get suspended from school??

Johnny Screwball- err football, has done some things that are not smart and this will be the one that costs him the most unfortunately.
tOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
No you don't but most people are get paid based on their skills. Mach Madness generates $1 Billion dollars in revenue for a month of basketball. Coaches, schools, networks, the NCAA make millions, the players virtually nothing in comparison. Even after they graduate the NCAA owns the players likeness and the NCAA makes money selling jerseys and video games where the players don't.
I don't disagree with you. However, should Texas A&M (just using them as an example) be allowed to pay their players more than San Jose State? If so, doesn't that just stretch the difference between the "have's" and "have nots" when it comes to college athletics? And what about "non-revenue" sports?

You're not going to take money out of college athletics. I don't think there's anything stopping schools from resigning from the NCAA.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdavis2 View Post
Players can get cut for any reason from a team and lose their scholarship. Injured while playing? Goodbye to the scholarship. It's all weighted in favor of the school and NCAA and the players have little choice since the professional leagues have conspired with the NCAA to not draft players right out of high school.
Very good point!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

We can debate how stupid the NCAA rules are all we want but EVERY player is aware of them. Especially THIS rule. They know it.

Johnny is arrogant. Read the ESPN article. His father seems arrogant too. His dad grew up some but pulled the same stuff as a college aged student.

In part I think it is a case of "too much, too soon" but mostly it is just stupidity and arrogance. The brokers DO set them up and he fell for it.

Shame, he's a rich kid. Didn't need a dime. And he is going to blow everything because of it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
TheAviator

I don't think schools should actually "pay" the kids, but they should be allowed to sell their autographs, sell their jerseys, get a % from jersey sales etc., that is only fair and their first amendment rights. I hope the NCAA is destroyed and these stupid rules go away. They are ridiculous. I know what people say, oh but a big donor will pay the kids etc etc., I think there should be a handful of rules one, no direct payments to kids from the schools, all these other ridiculous rules should just go away. You can't police it no, they can't police it now. It would be much more manageable if they loosened things up so at least kids could make money from their likeness. It is ridiculous IMO how it is at present.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

There are two different arguments. One is should students be paid for playing and the other is should they be able to make money in other ways.

Players are played to pay via scholarship. They are getting, in many situations, a $100,000+ education for free. If they put the scholastic part of their college career ahead of the sports, which should be the case even for the best of the best athletes, they are getting a big leg up in life provided they choose a major with actual employability and not the general studies crap most do. I do not feel athletes should be paid to play or get perks like cars or apartments.

I also believe they should not be able to set up sponsorship deals or have corporations pay them for their likeness while they are in college.

What happened here is completely different and I feel the rules need to be changed. Athletes should be able to charge for autographs or sell their own belongings like in the memorabilia for tattoo scandal that wasn't a scandal.

That being said until the rules are changed they have to be obeyed. He deserves any punishment he gets not because I agree with the rule but because you still have to follow rules you don't agree with until they are changed.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAviator View Post
I don't think schools should actually "pay" the kids, but they should be allowed to sell their autographs, sell their jerseys, get a % from jersey sales etc., that is only fair and their first amendment rights. I hope the NCAA is destroyed and these stupid rules go away. They are ridiculous. I know what people say, oh but a big donor will pay the kids etc etc., I think there should be a handful of rules one, no direct payments to kids from the schools, all these other ridiculous rules should just go away. You can't police it no, they can't police it now. It would be much more manageable if they loosened things up so at least kids could make money from their likeness. It is ridiculous IMO how it is at present.
But it's not THEIR jersey. Short of a school retiring a number, that number has been used in the past, and will (more than likely) be used in the future. I don't think authorized retailers should be allowed to sell merchandise with the athlete's name on it.

I'm also curious what part of the student-athletes first amendment rights come into play.

Oh, and back to "payment"... let's not forget the (free) study halls, tutors, and other benefits available to the athletes that aren't available (for free) to non-student athletes.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Johnny messed up beyond any repair set himself up. He certainly was aware of the rules and violated them anyway. It's not the first time either.

Quote:
But NCAA rules are set up so everyone makes money but the athlete
They're getting free tuition, room and board, their meals, their books, and incidentals paid, plus free tutoring and other academic resources not available to regular students. In most cases, this is all at a school they otherwise wouldn't qualify to get into. They also have state of the art facilities and trainers to work with and state of the art medicine should they be injured. That's not to mention all the exposure the school is giving them.

By the way, only 23 out of over 120 D1 schools turned an athletic department profit in 2012 And 16 of those receive a subsidy either from the school itself, the state, or through student fees. 6 schools would have had a loss without said subsidies and one more would have had a profit of less than 100k. So 17 departments genuinely made a profit. And much of that doesn't come from ticket revenues. It comes from booster donations and the like.

Quote:
can anyone explain why he can't get paid for his autograph but someone in college can invent Microsoft, Facebook, et al an profit from it?
It's easy to explain. They aren't amateur athletes. They didn't sign papers agreeing not to take money from outside sources. And a portion of their student fees likely went to subsidize the education of athletes like him.

Last edited by Cannot_Wait_4Disney; 08-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
TheAviator

Quote:
But it's not THEIR jersey. Short of a school retiring a number, that number has been used in the past, and will (more than likely) be used in the future. I don't think authorized retailers should be allowed to sell merchandise with the athlete's name on it.

I'm also curious what part of the student-athletes first amendment rights come into play.

Oh, and back to "payment"... let's not forget the (free) study halls, tutors, and other benefits available to the athletes that aren't available (for free) to non-student athletes.
I just think being able to sell your own name should fall under freedom of speech. It may not legally I do not know, but it should IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: