Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

BBQ ideas

We've FINALLY started our kitchen remodel.

For the forseeable future, we have no stove. We do have a gas grill in the yard, and a microwave, Keurig, toaster and fridge in the basment. While we have no kitchen sink, we do have a bakyard hose and running water in the bathrooms. Not a whole lot of prep space either-- the basement pool table is covered with paper plates and stuff, and groceries (cereal, bread, burger rolls...)

So... what are we having for dinner for the next month or so?? We've been doing burgers and hot dogs all summer... it's been a hot summer on Long Island... and the kids are getting sick of it.

I think I'll hit the supermarket today and pick up some ribs.

Any other creative ideas??

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #2
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

you can't go wrong with some nice steaks. If you feel like splurging, get some nice fillet mignons.

mmmmm..... fillet.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Chicken's great too on the BBQ. Get some legs, breasts and/or thighs and get cooking.

Do you have a rotisserie accessory? Might be time to try that out too.

Teenage Mutant Backseat Dancers - A Canadian Buffoon Adventure
Canadian Buffoon's Vacation - PTR/mini TR
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

When we did our remodel last summer we did a lot of chicken breasts/cutlets on the grill. We used ziplock bags and marinated them in the pre-made marinades like Lawry's. We also grilled a lot of veggies...just lay them on tin foil with a little olive oil and S&P. you could also roast a whole chicken or two at a time and have the roasted chicken one night and chicken salad with the leftovers.

Look in the area of the meat dept for the pre-made sides (can't remember name brands now, but they are usually near the Purdue pre-cooked chicken nuggets). They aren't homemade, but are better than frozen and are easily heated up in the microwave.

Do you have a crockpot? That helped too.

It was easiest to do dishes in the bathtub.

I am trying to think what else we ate....I think it's like childbirth because looking back it didn't seem that bad, but I know I was probably going crazy figuring out dinner every night lol. If I come up with any other ideas I will let you know!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Oh, I forgot we did a lot of fish too. Stop and Shop sells frozen tilapia that are individually wrapped (in a big bag) and are very good. Just grill it in foil so it doesn't fall apart.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Becc1
DIS Veteran

We have gone without power for up to a week at a time due to storm damage so we have gotten creative on the grill. DH even made bacon and eggs one morning. If your grill has the side burner you can do most anything you would do on the stovetop. Also do you have a slow cooker? You can do lots of different meals and make your side dishes in the microwave. And right now is a great time to get fresh veggies and grill them.

Can I really keep my mouth shut for the next 6 months?
Princesses don't hit, kick or spit! A May/June 2011 TR

Becc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

Maybe try a homemade pizza on the grill?
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

We just got our oven hooked up yesterday after a few weeks of remodeling. It wasn't too bad for us, but we do have a side burner that helped. I also used my crockpot and an electric frying pan a lot.

We made lots of chicken. BBQ chicken, teriyaki, lemon pepper... We ate it with microwave rice, over salads, on wraps or buns. We had steak one night. We had burgers and brats. I have a small grid cooking pan that can grill fish with no foil. You can also make foil packet meals with any meat and vegetable.

It wasn't too hard, and I really don't use the oven too much in the summer anyway.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
PlutoPony
DIS Veteran

During our kitchen remodel, we used the crockpot a lot. Bought the liners to minimize cleanup and that was a huge help.

Also purchased a single burner so we could do things like pasta. They don't take up much space and I was surprised at how quickly they heat up. Think I paid $20 for it and we used it quite a bit. Between that and the microwave, I could put together a fairly normal meal.

Good luck. It's a pia but worth it in the end!
PlutoPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We've FINALLY started our kitchen remodel.

For the forseeable future, we have no stove. We do have a gas grill in the yard, and a microwave, Keurig, toaster and fridge in the basment. While we have no kitchen sink, we do have a bakyard hose and running water in the bathrooms. Not a whole lot of prep space either-- the basement pool table is covered with paper plates and stuff, and groceries (cereal, bread, burger rolls...)

So... what are we having for dinner for the next month or so?? We've been doing burgers and hot dogs all summer... it's been a hot summer on Long Island... and the kids are getting sick of it.

I think I'll hit the supermarket today and pick up some ribs.

Any other creative ideas??
Do you have an electric skillet and a crock pot??? If not,, find someone to borrow one of each from! I'd be eating a lot of things made in the crock pot (plug it in outside if you can) and between that and an electric skillet, you can make just about ANYTHING.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

If you don't have a crockpot you can buy one cheaply.
You can make so many different meals and without heating up a kitchen in the summer!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

What about some "cold" salads? Say - a Chicken Waldorf Salad with Grapes?

Or - a Tuna/Macaroni Salad?

Or a Shrimp-Orzo salad In your case - I would just get cooked shrimp, and thaw it out, and not bother roasting it.

You can cook pasta in a microwave!

Have you tried picking up a rotisserie chicken - or is that "old" by now too?

What about cooking chicken breasts on the grill?

And - don't forget about the regular "chef salad" either!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

DH makes pizza on the grill. I agree with the crockpot and cold salad nights, too.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

You've already gotten many great suggestions I'll try not to repeat, other than being a third one to say that pizza does well on the grill

We use our grill for most meals in summer and I often prep veggies, etc on teh patio table.

A couple of things that go over well here:

stuffed mushrooms. Easiest with limited prep space would be to mi cream cheese, garlic and herbs, and use that to fill the mushroom caps. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, brush the cap with olive oil and grill until the cheese melts and the mushrooms turn brown.

Zucchini pizzas: Slice zucchinis long ways into thin slices (maybe 4-5 slices per plant). Brush bottoms with olive oil (if prepping outside you can go ahead and set them right on the grill as you work--and just turn it on once you have them topped). Put a line of jarred spaghetti cause down the middle of each strip and then top with mozzarella cheese. Cook until cheese melts and zucchini is soft.

I also make an extra packet of foil packet veggies, and make it without seasoning--and throw on extra chicken at the same time, The next day, I put those veggies and chicken in a skillet with coconut milk and curry powder to have a chicken curry. You could probably get a reasonable taste doing that in the microwave for day two--if you just want something that does not taste grilled.

Do you have a rice cooker so you could make rice to go with it? A rice cooker with a steamer basket is also a great way to reheat leftover grilled meats and veggies without them drying out (I often do rice with leftover grilled chicken and veggies for lunch the next day because it is so fast and easy and does not heat the house).

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

During my remodel we used the crockpot and microwave in the laundry room. What fun!
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: