Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Wedding Apparel help

DBf's sister is getting married. I have to fly, so whatever I wear needs to be easily packed. All I know about the wedding is that it's being held at a country club that DB said is pretty fancy, the bridesmaids are wearing above-the-knee dresses, and the guests will mostly be older family members, and friends in the mid-twenties range. It's being held in Tulsa at the end of August, and i'm told it will be really hot/humid.

Originally I had bought a teal floor length gown, but I couldn't find shoes tall enough (lol) and DB said he thought it was too formal. So, I took that one back this afternoon and got a less formal one. I found some cool deep purple, sparkly heels to be my pop of color. BUT, looking at it now...I don't know. I'm worried. I want to look my age (25), and give a good impression. So here it is (ignore the pup!):

Is it too..."club"? I want to be able to dance and have fun, but not give people a bad impression of me. I really like this whole outfit, and it's very "me", i'm just worried it's not right for a wedding. What do you guys think?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
DisDance
Mouseketeer

I love it! High low dresses are very in right now. For the shoe I would personally do a nude pump, but yours look great with the dress as well
DisDance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
summerblue
Mouseketeer

I think it is perfectly nice. Weddings in our family are formal vents almost always, I have a dress almost exactly like yours ( except blue and has short puff type sleeves) but has the same type hem line that I have worn to a couple of weddings. You can dress it up more with a shawl and simple but elegant jewelry accents.
summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!

It looks nice on you and would be fine for the wedding.

I would get one of the short sweaters--not sure of the correct name--or a shawl and bring in purple with your jewelry.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

I'd ask your BF for his honest opinion...he knows "his people" and what they'll expect. It's good to be a little cautious especially if you've never met them. A wedding in the bible-belt might be more conservative than you're used to. (Not saying you shouldn't be yourself, but on his sister's big day it would probably be good to blend in as you may be asked to stand I pictures and such.)
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Thanks for the responses so far. I can't ask DB his opinion because he's spending the next week camping with his dad and they don't have phone signals. I have met his family a few times now (been together just over a 1.5 years), they are pretty laid-back.

I'd planned on wearing a simple diamond bracelet, necklace and ring. Haven't decided on stud or drop earrings. Planning on looking for something purple for my hair. A shawl is a great idea, if not just to add a bit of modesty, but also because I tend to get cold indoor so it would be good to have at hand.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I think you look beautiful Not usually a fan of Tats ( my own DDs have them too ) but it looks really nice so because its large/beautiful/unique I don't think you'll need much in the accessory dept ..thinking don't need anything in your hair & I would go with the stud earrings ( Like your pup too, got one here looks just like yours )
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I can't ask DB his opinion because he's spending the next week camping with his dad and they don't have phone signals. I have met his family a few times now (been together just over a 1.5 years), they are pretty laid-back.

I'd planned on wearing a simple diamond bracelet, necklace and ring. Haven't decided on stud or drop earrings. Planning on looking for something purple for my hair. A shawl is a great idea, if not just to add a bit of modesty, but also because I tend to get cold indoor so it would be good to have at hand.
Sounds like you're good to go then.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Get a shrug instead of a shawl--it's sort of a cropped cardigan, no buttons or anything. Much easier to deal with than a shawl.

You look lovely, but I'd ask to be sure black was ok. Many folks don't wear black or white to a wedding. Love the shoes!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
krcit
DIS Veteran

That dress would be perfect for a wedding around here(NY). You look great...nice dress, LOVE the shoes.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Black is fine, so is white after labor day no worries
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
DBf's sister is getting married. I have to fly, so whatever I wear needs to be easily packed. All I know about the wedding is that it's being held at a country club that DB said is pretty fancy, the bridesmaids are wearing above-the-knee dresses, and the guests will mostly be older family members, and friends in the mid-twenties range. It's being held in Tulsa at the end of August, and i'm told it will be really hot/humid.

Originally I had bought a teal floor length gown, but I couldn't find shoes tall enough (lol) and DB said he thought it was too formal. So, I took that one back this afternoon and got a less formal one. I found some cool deep purple, sparkly heels to be my pop of color. BUT, looking at it now...I don't know. I'm worried. I want to look my age (25), and give a good impression. So here it is (ignore the pup!):

Is it too..."club"? I want to be able to dance and have fun, but not give people a bad impression of me. I really like this whole outfit, and it's very "me", i'm just worried it's not right for a wedding. What do you guys think?
From a Great Grandmother's point of view, this dress would be a no because of its color. You should never wear black or white to a wedding. I think that it might cause comment in the "older family members" crowd.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I think the color is fine. I think the prohibition against wearing black to a wedding is kind of 'over.'

At a country club in the Bible Belt though, unfortunately SOMEONE is going to be judgmental about your ink. Up to you whether you choose not to care or choose to cover it up, but it's an unfortunate reality.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I think the color is fine. I think the prohibition against wearing black to a wedding is kind of 'over.'

At a country club in the Bible Belt though, unfortunately SOMEONE is going to be judgmental about your ink. Up to you whether you choose not to care or choose to cover it up, but it's an unfortunate reality.
Are you implying that I am old fashioned?
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
skylizard
DIS Veteran

I think it's a perfectly acceptable outfit. You look great in it!
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: