Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle
 
MissMichigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 458

Wedding Apparel help

DBf's sister is getting married. I have to fly, so whatever I wear needs to be easily packed. All I know about the wedding is that it's being held at a country club that DB said is pretty fancy, the bridesmaids are wearing above-the-knee dresses, and the guests will mostly be older family members, and friends in the mid-twenties range. It's being held in Tulsa at the end of August, and i'm told it will be really hot/humid.

Originally I had bought a teal floor length gown, but I couldn't find shoes tall enough (lol) and DB said he thought it was too formal. So, I took that one back this afternoon and got a less formal one. I found some cool deep purple, sparkly heels to be my pop of color. BUT, looking at it now...I don't know. I'm worried. I want to look my age (25), and give a good impression. So here it is (ignore the pup!):


Is it too..."club"? I want to be able to dance and have fun, but not give people a bad impression of me. I really like this whole outfit, and it's very "me", i'm just worried it's not right for a wedding. What do you guys think?
__________________
MissMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
DisDance
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 456

I love it! High low dresses are very in right now. For the shoe I would personally do a nude pump, but yours look great with the dress as well
DisDance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
summerblue
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 147

I think it is perfectly nice. Weddings in our family are formal vents almost always, I have a dress almost exactly like yours ( except blue and has short puff type sleeves) but has the same type hem line that I have worn to a couple of weddings. You can dress it up more with a shawl and simple but elegant jewelry accents.
summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
ksjayhawks
DIS Veteran
Dorothy and Toto have taken all my glory!
 
ksjayhawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Metro KC, Kansas Side
Posts: 3,280

It looks nice on you and would be fine for the wedding.

I would get one of the short sweaters--not sure of the correct name--or a shawl and bring in purple with your jewelry.
__________________
Live Laugh Love
ksjayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
ronandannette
DIS Veteran
 
ronandannette's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,750

I'd ask your BF for his honest opinion...he knows "his people" and what they'll expect. It's good to be a little cautious especially if you've never met them. A wedding in the bible-belt might be more conservative than you're used to. (Not saying you shouldn't be yourself, but on his sister's big day it would probably be good to blend in as you may be asked to stand I pictures and such.)
__________________
DL & Monarch of The Seas 2004 * WDW & Mariner of the Seas 2006 * DL & DCA 2011 * DL & DCA 2013 * DL & DCA 2014
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle
 
MissMichigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 458

Thanks for the responses so far. I can't ask DB his opinion because he's spending the next week camping with his dad and they don't have phone signals. I have met his family a few times now (been together just over a 1.5 years), they are pretty laid-back.

I'd planned on wearing a simple diamond bracelet, necklace and ring. Haven't decided on stud or drop earrings. Planning on looking for something purple for my hair. A shawl is a great idea, if not just to add a bit of modesty, but also because I tend to get cold indoor so it would be good to have at hand.
__________________
MissMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 12,642

I think you look beautiful Not usually a fan of Tats ( my own DDs have them too ) but it looks really nice so because its large/beautiful/unique I don't think you'll need much in the accessory dept ..thinking don't need anything in your hair & I would go with the stud earrings ( Like your pup too, got one here looks just like yours )
__________________
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
ronandannette
DIS Veteran
 
ronandannette's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 2,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I can't ask DB his opinion because he's spending the next week camping with his dad and they don't have phone signals. I have met his family a few times now (been together just over a 1.5 years), they are pretty laid-back.

I'd planned on wearing a simple diamond bracelet, necklace and ring. Haven't decided on stud or drop earrings. Planning on looking for something purple for my hair. A shawl is a great idea, if not just to add a bit of modesty, but also because I tend to get cold indoor so it would be good to have at hand.
Sounds like you're good to go then.
__________________
DL & Monarch of The Seas 2004 * WDW & Mariner of the Seas 2006 * DL & DCA 2011 * DL & DCA 2013 * DL & DCA 2014
ronandannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 800

Get a shrug instead of a shawl--it's sort of a cropped cardigan, no buttons or anything. Much easier to deal with than a shawl.

You look lovely, but I'd ask to be sure black was ok. Many folks don't wear black or white to a wedding. Love the shoes!
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
krcit
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,376

That dress would be perfect for a wedding around here(NY). You look great...nice dress, LOVE the shoes.
__________________


krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran
 
Luvchefmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 30 minutes from Chef Mickey FL
Posts: 12,642

Black is fine, so is white after labor day no worries
__________________
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well
 
bedogged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
DBf's sister is getting married. I have to fly, so whatever I wear needs to be easily packed. All I know about the wedding is that it's being held at a country club that DB said is pretty fancy, the bridesmaids are wearing above-the-knee dresses, and the guests will mostly be older family members, and friends in the mid-twenties range. It's being held in Tulsa at the end of August, and i'm told it will be really hot/humid.

Originally I had bought a teal floor length gown, but I couldn't find shoes tall enough (lol) and DB said he thought it was too formal. So, I took that one back this afternoon and got a less formal one. I found some cool deep purple, sparkly heels to be my pop of color. BUT, looking at it now...I don't know. I'm worried. I want to look my age (25), and give a good impression. So here it is (ignore the pup!):


Is it too..."club"? I want to be able to dance and have fun, but not give people a bad impression of me. I really like this whole outfit, and it's very "me", i'm just worried it's not right for a wedding. What do you guys think?
From a Great Grandmother's point of view, this dress would be a no because of its color. You should never wear black or white to a wedding. I think that it might cause comment in the "older family members" crowd.
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Husker living in Hoosierland.
Posts: 9,524

I think the color is fine. I think the prohibition against wearing black to a wedding is kind of 'over.'

At a country club in the Bible Belt though, unfortunately SOMEONE is going to be judgmental about your ink. Up to you whether you choose not to care or choose to cover it up, but it's an unfortunate reality.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well
 
bedogged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,641

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I think the color is fine. I think the prohibition against wearing black to a wedding is kind of 'over.'

At a country club in the Bible Belt though, unfortunately SOMEONE is going to be judgmental about your ink. Up to you whether you choose not to care or choose to cover it up, but it's an unfortunate reality.
Are you implying that I am old fashioned?
bedogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
skylizard
DIS Veteran
 
skylizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,214

I think it's a perfectly acceptable outfit. You look great in it!
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.