Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Macbook Pro Virus Protection? Insurance?

Hi y'all! I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Macbook Pro for my college freshman. (Well, grandma helped, but...) I know we will need to do Open Office or Microsoft Office, per the college.

Now, what about virus protection and insurance on the thing? I didn't do the Applecare initially, but I can go back and add that, correct?

Please, I'm open to any and all advice. Other than ipods and iphones, this is our first leap into Apple (but I don't think it will be the last).
Old 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

You can add Applecare anytime within 1 year of the purchase date of the computer. No matter when you purchase it, it will cover the computer from 3 years of the computer's purchase date. (Not the Applecare purchase date.) It's a service plan, not insurance. It does not cover loss or theft! Get a cable lock for the computer if you haven't already. There's software called LoJack that can protect against theft as well. College kids are at VERY high risk of laptop theft. It happens regularly.

I personally don't use virus protection on any of my Macs, but I also know a fair bit about the various sorts of malware, how they work, and how they get into a system, so I protect myself with that knowledge. For users for whom this is more difficult, ClamXav and Sophos have come highly recommended to me in the past.

Additionally, there's an AdBlock addon for Safari (the built-in browser) that can keep malicious ads at bay. Or the user could download Chrome, which has even more security addons available.

Please tell your student to keep good backups. Data doesn't really exist until it exists in more than one place. One good drop and everything on your laptop could be lost forever. Keep backups! Always! Backups!

Edit - I just re-read my post and I sound really adamant about this stuff, LOL. Here's why: I worked in an Apple store in a college town for 3 years. I've seen so many cases of theft and so many dead laptops after someone spilled beer on them or vomited on them (or worse).

Last edited by dawnhaze; 08-04-2013 at 10:30 AM.
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My DD has had a MacBook for 4 years. She's never had the virus protection and never needed it. We always bought the AppleCare insurance. But also, our homeowner's insurance has a "rider" policy for electronics that costs me about $10 every six months. It also replaces any damaged or stolen computer for any reason. I was glad I had it because her apartment was broken into and her Mac was stolen.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

I've always found Apple Care to be worth it. But as the PP mentioned it doesn't cover loss or theft and at college those will likely be your primary concerns.

I do use the free version of Sophos for virus protection. I didn't use any until recently and I've never had a virus. The ONLY reason I added the protection is that my 5yo has started using my computer. While Mac viruses are still rare especially compared to Windows based viruses I couldn't trust her to not click on something sketchy that a savvy user would never click on.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Dancind
Tinkerbell's Mom
just full of pass questions
Onward and Downward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
My DD has had a MacBook for 4 years. She's never had the virus protection and never needed it. We always bought the AppleCare insurance. But also, our homeowner's insurance has a "rider" policy for electronics that costs me about $10 every six months. It also replaces any damaged or stolen computer for any reason. I was glad I had it because her apartment was broken into and her Mac was stolen.

How does your insurance cover a theft at your DD's apartment? Sincere question, my DD 22 lives on her own and has expensive electronics. She's an Apple employee. Is your daughter a student, is that why?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancind View Post
How does your insurance cover a theft at your DD's apartment? Sincere question, my DD 22 lives on her own and has expensive electronics. She's an Apple employee. Is your daughter a student, is that why?
Well, it's not because she's a student, per se, but because she's a member of the household still, I guess. It's a separate add-on part of our homeowners insurance and covers electronics for the whole family against *anything.* Once she's out on her own, she will have to get her own policy, so yeah, I guess because she's student...

It's really quite inexpensive and it was a lifesaver when their apartment was vandalized.

This is through USAA; however, I'm sure all insurance companies offer it.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Christine

OP, if you want to be on the safe side with anti-virus software, go to your DD's university website to their computing requirements page. I know for my son's school, they offered free Symantic antivirus software to students. You just need to have your school e-mail account established. I just downloaded this today for my son's new computer. I noticed that they offered free Mac software too.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
DebD4T
I cannot sleep in an unmade bed. If for some reason my bed is not made, I have to make it before I get into it to go to sleep
My money must all face the same way in order of denomination
Lik

While at Freshman orientation last month for DD#1, we were told that ALL computers MUST have anti-virus installed, whether they are MAC or PC.

They suggested sophos.com which is a free anti-virus program for MAC.

I installed it on my home computer also.

I guess it works
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

I have Sophos on my iMac. I run it periodically and have never had a virus.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
ugadog99
Has been waiting patiently for a visit from the Tag Fairy and found that good things come to those who wait
Is on a hunt for the best Creme Brulee!

Thanks, everyone. Are there any other suggestions for insurance coverage?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #11
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I got mine insured through homeowners insurance police, gotta pay a little extra. Virus protection.. don't have that.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: