Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
slg
DIS Veteran

Just as our tips for our dining team cover all the other service we get, then the upchsrge at palo covers the extra cost of the food above the value oh our main dining room meal. I do not see that we need tip 20 percent of the street value of the meal but 20 percent of what we paid. So for a $20 upcharge, we pay $4 or $8 for a couple. They also get an auto tip for any alcohol consumed.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Thank you - this information is really helpful.

Makes sense that if I tip the dining staff at least $10 over the automatic tips that I should be doing something around that for Palo. Appreciate all the tips. Am gonna adjust our tip budget up some.

PS do you leave the tip in cash or do you add it to the bill and it gets put on your account? This will help me reshift our budget if I need to.
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #18
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

We usually just add it to our onboard account. You'll sign a slip that has your $20/pp charge and there is a line for additional gratuity.

You may add cash to your folio if you prefer.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

106 Days at Sea

Last edited by cris0809; 07-29-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Only have experience with Palo

We add it to the upcharge slip.

For brunch we have been leaving $10 per person. Dinner usually $15 per person. And we feel "good" about it - The total upcharge plus tip is usually less than we would spend at home for a very nice meal + tip.

If you have a Brunch and Dinner you do not need to request the same server. They made sure that we have had the same server on the few occasions that we have had a dinner. Last cruise - 2 brunches, and 1 dinner and same server every time. It was quite nice!!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
over50visits
DIS Veteran

I'm a little different on tipping, I think the tip should be based on the quality of service, not just the ticket amount. I will agree that cheaper restaurants (such as IHOP) probably have less qualified servers than those at Palo or Remy, so my service at the higher end restaurants is generally much more satisfying.

So, although in general the quality of service reflects the size of the bill (more expensive restaurants have better service), I still like to think I'm tipping for the service itself.

That said, it doesn't matter what the upcharge is. We tip at Palo and Remy based on the service we get, and I've got to admit the servers we've had at Remy have been among the best we've seen around the world.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
PPink
Earning My Ears

I called to DCL to ask some questions and since I had them on the phone I asked what is the recommended tip for Remy and Palo. I figured if they tell us what to pay for regular dinner and host it would not hurt to ask. The CM said the up charge is the tip. She said you are not paying for the meal, you are paying for service. I even asked - so if I and my husband eat in Remy and $150 is charged to our account is that our tip and we do not need to pay extra? She said yes - that is the tip if you want to pay more it is up to you. Now what do you think about that?
PPink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #22
PPink
Earning My Ears

I called to DCL to ask some questions and since I had them on the phone I asked what is the recommended tip for Remy and Palo. I figured if they tell us what to pay for regular dinner and host it would not hurt to ask. The CM said the up charge is the tip. She said you are not paying for the meal, you are paying for service. I even asked - so if I and my husband eat in Remy and $150 is charged to our account is that our tip and we do not need to pay extra? She said yes - that is the tip if you want to pay more it is up to you. Now what do you think about that?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
RosiePA
Mouseketeer

DH and I were just on the Dream last week. We splurged for Concierge and took advantage of the MDR Room Service in our suite. We asked the wonderful CM who gave us an amazing private dining experience which way was best to tip--to our onboard account or in cash. He probably wasn't supposed to share this information with us, so I will leave his name out of this post, but he told us that if we tip in cash, he can keep it, but if we added the tip to our onboard account, it would be split between the CMs (not sure how many or what pot it would be added to, we didn't ask). Anyway, with that knowledge, we gave him cash.

I didn't ask if he could keep the cash because he just didn't have to tell anyone he received a tip or if that was their actual policy, but I didn't really care. I know many waiters and waitresses who don't claim all of their cash tips, so I wasn't worried about it.

Anyway, with this knowledge, we've decided to tip in cash on the ship going forward. Just thought I'd share our personal experience.

Oh, and we tip $10pp in Palo for both brunch and dinner--we always have the same server for both, so we just try to be consistent. Plus, DH doesn't drink anything bubbly, and the server always lets me have his mimosa at brunch!

We've only been to Remy once, and we tipped $50, I think, on top of the auto gratuity for the wine. We had a bottle + 2 glasses of wine, so with that, we probably tipped a total of $75.
RosiePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #24
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post
Just as our tips for our dining team cover all the other service we get, then the upchsrge at palo covers the extra cost of the food above the value oh our main dining room meal. I do not see that we need tip 20 percent of the street value of the meal but 20 percent of what we paid. So for a $20 upcharge, we pay $4 or $8 for a couple. They also get an auto tip for any alcohol consumed.
Actually that is the way I figure out the tips. I figure the street cost of a Palo meal is about $100. So I left $20 for the two of us.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
PPink
Earning My Ears

Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #26
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

We did $20 for 2 people at Palo. And we've budgeted $20 for Palo and $50 for Remy on our upcoming trip. Personally, I'd never go below $20 for two people (unless the service was bad, which I highly doubt it will be).
Old 09-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
What I think - is that the DCL person you had on the phone is sadly mistaken. The best info we have accumulated here over the years is that at most Palo servers get $4.00 per guest out of the $20 upcharge.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #28
Twinprincesses
DIS Veteran

WE tip $40 for the 2 of us and have only had Brunch. The service is exceptional and the meal is amazing.
Disney Dream October 2011
Vero Beach 7/2010
Disney Wonder 10/2009, Disney Magic 10/2008
Disneyland 10/2007 & 10/2006 , DisneyWorld 20+ trips

Twinprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPink View Post
Hmmm.....that is completely different than what we were told in May. I could probably call DCL and speak with a different CM and get a totally different answer because they are very inconsistent and not always knowledgeable about certain things.

What I think about that is that I will continue to tip in Palo because the service and the food are excellent.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

You can certainly do an approximation based on what you think the meal would cost in your area. To us, Palo is somewhere between or maybe just slightly better than Olive Garden/Carabbas. Then again, we have not eaten at an Olive Garden in maybe 10 years! Anyway, for the two of us, I would suspect the meal in our area would cost around $75 total, no more. So, we leave either $20 or $25 total for the two of us as the extra gratuity. No reason in our mind to go overboard (dangerous enough when you are on the open seas!). Palo is better than a MDR meal, but certainly not high end cuisine either. Again, something in the $30-40 range as the meal cost per person is a fair approximation to what you can get in most US cities.

DWF
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: