Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay Cabanas

Can anyone tell me how the actual beach experience is different when a cabana is booked? Can you see children in the water from the cabana? or do you need to be down on the regular beach anyway? Also, how far from Pelican Plunge are the cabanas? Lastly, is the beach in front of the cabanas only for cabana guests or is it crowded as well? Thanks!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Bella29
Mouseketeer

The beach in front of the cabanas is for cabana guests only. It is nice but shallow, and toward the end of the day the tide goes out and there's nothing but mud left. In the morning you can see the kids from the cabana but it's not nearly close enough for little kids to be on their own

Pelican Plunge is a bit of a walk from the cabanas. It's not too far to walk, but you definitely can't see the kids slide from the cabanas.

Here's a map where you can get an idea of the layout.
http://www.suzys-garden.com/images/castaway-cay-map.jpg

here's a thread with a ton of info on the cabanas: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2336376

Last edited by Bella29; 09-23-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Bella29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
Can anyone tell me how the actual beach experience is different when a cabana is booked? Can you see children in the water from the cabana? or do you need to be down on the regular beach anyway? Also, how far from Pelican Plunge are the cabanas? Lastly, is the beach in front of the cabanas only for cabana guests or is it crowded as well? Thanks!
It depends on which Cabana you have. Here's a short video showing the last cabana on the family-cabana beach, round to the public beach and pelican plunge.

Pelican plunge isn't far to walk but like Bella29 said, too far to actually watch your kids.

We had lots of privacy with plants in front of our cabana which meant we wouldn't have been able to see the kids in the water from the cabana. But the private beach is virtually empty!
standing view.

How the beach experience was different for us was that we had a lot more space to swim and the kids could run on the beach which was great. On the family beach there were a lot of people and I wouldn't let the kids run incase they covered someone in sand!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella29 View Post
The beach in front of the cabanas is for cabana guests only. It is nice but shallow, and toward the end of the day the tide goes out and there's nothing but mud left.
Must be the time of year you go to have the whole part of the lagoon be completely gone and just mud. We've never seen that. I love the higher number cabanas because of the lagoon. Always calm and no waves. I believe 1 -10 are not in front of the lagoon.
No you cannot see your kids very well in the ocean from the cabanas. You would need to be on the beach with them. If they are playing in the sand right in front of the cabana then yes, you could definitely see them but if they wanted to play right by the ocean, no you could not.

Its a very short walk to pelican plunge from the cabanas.

The beach is only for cabana guests and very private. No comparison for the amount of people on the family beach and the private cabana beach. Way way less people!
My DH loves having a cabana for more personal space. Especially when eating lunch too, its nice to have your own spot.
I could take it or leave it, I don't mind crowds as much as DH.
Good luck with your decision
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: