Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #1
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Family memories, Disney didn't rank high. Surprised.

One of the reasons I used to go to disney over and over (outside of my obsessions) is the a reason I see here alot and that is "making memories for my family".

This weekend was our family reunion on my dh's side. I was a little apprehensive especially for my sons because they just lost their dad last October and I didn't want them to spend the entire reunion hearing "you look just like M".

Anyhoo, we went and my sons and a couple of cousins were sitting at a table playing cards, eating and swapping stories. Listening in I was glad to hear them speak about great memories with their father, then after a while I realized that..."not one was about our family trips to Disney"

LOL. I totally admit that I was surprised. so in the car going home I posed the question. "what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.

Again, Disney placed waaay low on the "favorites" list.

Wow!! are these my kids.

I totally admit to being surprised. So all those who say "memories" can be made any where!. Here is your proof.

FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks, well after a couple of years the staff got to know them and would called the boys by name and knew their order. It became sort of like their "cheers".

LOL go figure.

Last edited by eliza61; 07-29-2013 at 08:37 AM.
eliza61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Fortuosity
That's me byword

If I were asked about/talking about great memories of times with my father (or mother), I doubt I'd mention any vacations since all my vacations were taken with the whole family rather than with just one or the other parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
"not one was about our family trips to Disney"
"family trips"

Quote:
"what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.
Although you said vacations could be included, dad was mentioned specifically, not family.

Quote:
I don't know how often you go, but I have been to Disney 3 times total with my parents in my lifetime: 1) When I was 2 years old (too young to remember); 2) When I was 14 (with parents, siblings and a friend; and 3) When I was 21 (with parents, siblings and spouses). Although I enjoyed both trips that I remember very much, if I had to pick favorite vacation memories with family, our much simpler, cheaper, close-to-home camping trips would definitely top Disney, and I think my siblings would probably agree.

Quote:
FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks,
This makes perfect sense to me to be a favorite memory of your sons of times spent with their father!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

It is often the little things that we remember the most. It doesn't mean that they don't remember your trips. It just means that their favorite memories are ones that happened more often.

As much as I love my trips and as much as I love taking my kids to Disney, those are not my favorite memories of my kids. They don't happen often enough to be a favorite. But not all memories have to be a favorite memory.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61
One of the reasons I used to go to disney over and over (outside of my obsessions) is the a reason I see here alot and that is "making memories for my family".

This weekend was our family reunion on my dh's side. I was a little apprehensive especially for my sons because they just lost their dad last October and I didn't want them to spend the entire reunion hearing "you look just like M".

Anyhoo, we went and my sons and a couple of cousins were sitting at a table playing cards, eating and swapping stories. Listening in I was glad to hear them speak about great memories with their father, then after a while I realized that..."not one was about our family trips to Disney"

LOL. I totally admit that I was surprised. so in the car going home I posed the question. "what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.

Wow!! are these my kids.

I totally admit to being surprised. So all those who say "memories" can be made any where!. Here is your proof.

FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks, well after a couple of years the staff got to know them and would called the boys by name and knew their order. It became sort of like their "cheers".

LOL go figure.
Food. Always the way to a boy's heart. My kids would also have fond food memories.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
DefLepard
<3 Disney

"what were some of your favorite things you did with dad"

What is/was some of you favorite places to go ?

Disney would be #1 on my list

A place where a dad can be a kid again
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
daemom
DIS Veteran

We took our kids twice when they were young--think under 10 years old. We stayed away until they were 17 and 13 and THIS is the time that they remember and when they've had the most fun. Now that they're older they prefer Disney instead of the beach! Our oldest has graduated college and moved away and is looking forward to strip to Disney World this fall--with US!!!! But some of the sweetest memories come from the smallest places.
daemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

OP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
It is often the little things that we remember the most. .
For Christmas 2011, I made up books for my mom and my mother in law. I asked all the siblings for "remember when" types of phrases or stories.

Most of the things I ended up with were tiny little memories. Remember when... "we put soap into the pool filter...the dog got lost... we sang songs in the car on the way to Lake George" type stuff. The big memories somehow didn't make it in. It's not that they weren't important, simply that they're not the things that we tend to reminisce about.

Sometimes I think we place too much emphasis on "making memories" and forget to live in the moment.

As a sidenote, we gave it to my mother in law on Christmas Eve, since she wasn't feeling well enough to sleep over for Christmas. She passed away in her sleep that night. I'm so very thankful that she had it to read that night, knowing that she and my late father in law provided their kids with such wonderful memories.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

It's true, though. Wonderful memories are made in the most unplanned, unexpected times. This is some of what contributes to the wonderfulness.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

Wow!! are these my kids.

LOL go figure.
I think your post title may be a bit misleading and a tad over-dramatic (although maybe that's how you meant it, in a tongue-in-cheek way).

It's not that your kids have "no Disney memories" -- their Disney memories just maybe aren't at the top of their list.

Disney vacations are filled with sensory overload. There are a million things to do and look at, every experience is followed with another one, and if you're going even mini-commando, there may not be a whole lot of time for each individual memory to register before the next one happens. So the whole trip ends up being one big "thing" that the family did together, not a batch of individual magical moments between kid and dad or kid and mom.

The Phillies game, OTOH, was a one-on-one thing -- just dad and the boys. It was a much more focused and defined experience without all the other "noise".

And you DID ask about "favorite memories with dad". Even though the boys probably loved the vacations you took to WDW as a family, they probably don't sit in their heads as "memories with dad". They aren't specifically dad-related.

Had you asked about "favorite memories of family vacations", you would have gotten a very different answer.

WDSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
OP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

For Christmas 2011, I made up books for my mom and my mother in law. I asked all the siblings for "remember when" types of phrases or stories.

Most of the things I ended up with were tiny little memories. Remember when... "we put soap into the pool filter...the dog got lost... we sang songs in the car on the way to Lake George" type stuff. The big memories somehow didn't make it in. It's not that they weren't important, simply that they're not the things that we tend to reminisce about.

Sometimes I think we place too much emphasis on "making memories" and forget to live in the moment.

As a sidenote, we gave it to my mother in law on Christmas Eve, since she wasn't feeling well enough to sleep over for Christmas. She passed away in her sleep that night. I'm so very thankful that she had it to read that night, knowing that she and my late father in law provided their kids with such wonderful memories.
WOW!!!! Just gave me goosebumps. I am sorry for your loss...

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm761 View Post
It is often the little things that we remember the most. It doesn't mean that they don't remember your trips. It just means that their favorite memories are ones that happened more often.

As much as I love my trips and as much as I love taking my kids to Disney, those are not my favorite memories of my kids. They don't happen often enough to be a favorite. But not all memories have to be a favorite memory.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDSearcher View Post
I think your post title may be a bit misleading and a tad over-dramatic (although maybe that's how you meant it, in a tongue-in-cheek way).

It's not that your kids have "no Disney memories" -- their Disney memories just maybe aren't at the top of their list.

Disney vacations are filled with sensory overload. There are a million things to do and look at, every experience is followed with another one, and if you're going even mini-commando, there may not be a whole lot of time for each individual memory to register before the next one happens. So the whole trip ends up being one big "thing" that the family did together, not a batch of individual magical moments between kid and dad or kid and mom.

The Phillies game, OTOH, was a one-on-one thing -- just dad and the boys. It was a much more focused and defined experience without all the other "noise".

And you DID ask about "favorite memories with dad". Even though the boys probably loved the vacations you took to WDW as a family, they probably don't sit in their heads as "memories with dad". They aren't specifically dad-related.

Had you asked about "favorite memories of family vacations", you would have gotten a very different answer.

Thanks WD,
threads that offer "experiences" are hard for me to describe in a short sentence. the ones that I ask a question are pretty routine but the ones where you make more of an observation can be tough.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
It's true, though. Wonderful memories are made in the most unplanned, unexpected times. This is some of what contributes to the wonderfulness.
So true!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #14
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I think that your post is a good reminder as to what is really important in life. The themeparks are nice but it's really all about the people and special times with them can be had anywhere.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #15
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I agree with WDSearcher...you asked for memories with Dad...and the Phillies games are just that. It was a tradition for them too it sounds like, so that made the moment more special too.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: