DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
For those that book farther out, yes...but I think for someone who lives close who sees themselves wanting the flexibility to go on short notice trips, having direct points would make that worth it since VGC is so small and the only option for DVC on that coast.

If it were WDW, with so many options for short notice travel, I agree--resale makes sense...but VGC, is a different situation and may be worth the extra money for those occasions when you want to have a place to stay and VGC is sold out.
THANK YOU Sandisw for this.... my thoughts exactly!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
If anyone thinks my use of points is wasteful..... oh well, TO EACH HIS/HER OWN!
I don't think it's wasteful - it's what you want to do, and that's your call. But I don't actually think you're saving any money by doing it that way. DVC is a great deal if you stay in DVC resorts using points, but the trades into DL hotels are usually not much cheaper than cash, if you assume you can get a discount of some kind. Sometimes they're more expensive than cash.

There are definitely times when using DVC points is a little cheaper than paying cash, and exactly how much cheaper depends on how you amortize the buy-in cost of DVC. The problem is that if you run the numbers, even assuming your hotel exchanges are going to be done at the most advantageous times, and you use a time-value of money that is most favorable to choosing DVC, you still end up with a payoff time of over 20 years, by my analysis.

As a convenience feature that gives you options in a year that you wouldn't use your points for DVC, it's a nice thing to have. But every time you use the non-DVC exchange options, you're essentially pushing out your payoff another year; financially speaking you're just staying in place.

Again, for you, this is not a huge concern; you own the points, you should use them for what you want to use them for. But I don't think people who are considering a purchase should add a lot of weight to the DL hotel exchanges (or frankly any of the exchange options) - they're nice conveniences, but they aren't a good reason to buy DVC.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunsil View Post
Again, for you, this is not a huge concern; you own the points, you should use them for what you want to use them for. But I don't think people who are considering a purchase should add a lot of weight to the DL hotel exchanges (or frankly any of the exchange options) - they're nice conveniences, but they aren't a good reason to buy DVC.

It is not a huge concern for me and yes I have used them for what I want.
People who DO NOT LIVE close by WOULD NOT need to take this reason into ANY consideration but any LOCAL person may want to for CONVENIENCE sake & MIGHT be a good enough reason to purchase! If it isn't it definitely is a HUGE BONUS for me & my family!!!
ALSO, for us in the beginning (2007 -08) we did not BUY into DVC KNOWING we would have DVC in Southern California. We just were planning on FL trip every other year @ Christmas breaks. ALREADY being members before Spring 2009 & hearing of DVC opening HERE still did not phase me.
Finally decided to take the invite from DVC to check it out & BAM it hit me!
It would be AWESOME to USE it along side an AP!!!! Bought direct right then & there!! It never really was about making any sound investment for us but as you say TOTAL convenience!
REALLY - It's a timeshare (sometimes for us that may HAVE to qualify as HOTEL room even if it's just for 1 night) so it's preplanned vacation time!! It doesn't make any difference to me if I plan 4 or 5 small trip within a year OR 1 yearly trip.
PLEASE people, plan YOUR vacation HOWEVER you CHOOSE to CUZ I know I will!! We are a VERY HAPPY (So Cal local) DVC FAMILY!!

Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #19
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus

It is not a huge concern for me and yes I have used them for what I want.
People who DO NOT LIVE close by WOULD NOT need to take this reason into ANY consideration but any LOCAL person may want to for CONVENIENCE sake & MIGHT be a good enough reason to purchase! If it isn't it definitely is a HUGE BONUS for me & my family!!!
ALSO, for us in the beginning (2007 -08) we did not BUY into DVC KNOWING we would have DVC in Southern California. We just were planning on FL trip every other year @ Christmas breaks. ALREADY being members before Spring 2009 & hearing of DVC opening HERE still did not phase me.
Finally decided to take the invite from DVC to check it out & BAM it hit me!
It would be AWESOME to USE it along side an AP!!!! Bought direct right then & there!! It never really was about making any sound investment for us but as you say TOTAL convenience!
REALLY - It's a timeshare (sometimes for us that may HAVE to qualify as HOTEL room even if it's just for 1 night) so it's preplanned vacation time!! It doesn't make any difference to me if I plan 4 or 5 small trip within a year OR 1 yearly trip.
PLEASE people, plan YOUR vacation HOWEVER you CHOOSE to CUZ I know I will!! We are a VERY HAPPY (So Cal local) DVC FAMILY!!

I think that there are two separate issues here that you are combining into one. The first issue is convenience, and there is no doubt that having direct points for your purposes is a great convenience. The second issue is cost. You were fortunate to have bought in to VGC at close to initial offering price. However, prices now are roughly $50 higher per point, and this changes the value proposition greatly for those to whom cost is an important factor. The bottom line is that due to price increases, your experience is not repeatable and it's important for prospective buyers to factor that information into their decision making process.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Those who are considering a purchase now should keep in mind that the option to use points at non-DVC Disney hotels (including DLH & PP) is NOT a guaranteed part of the contract. It can disappear at any time for direct purchasers at Disney's discretion.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post

1) you still would not be able to combine pts from both contracts for disney collection trades outside of DVC - resale pts still could not be used for cruises or wdw hotels like the poly

2) IMO direct is still too expensive to be a good option unless you buy a larger resale initially and want a very small (75 pts or fewer) contract as an add-on, in which case you will be paying a premium regardless and smaller resale contracts can be tough to find.
You can use dvc points for the poly? I haven't heard this before, that's awesome

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My first trip report! Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post51003637

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasia79 View Post
You can use dvc points for the poly? I haven't heard this before, that's awesome

Before calling it awesome, let's look at the numbers. On a Saturday night during Magic Season, you'd pay 29 points for a MK view studio at BLT. A lagoon view room at Poly would cost you 95 points for that very same night.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 08-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

LET ME REPEAT THIS ........ ONCE.......... AGAIN FOR THOSE OF YOU...........
WHO COULD NOT.......... HEAR...........WHAT I HAD ....... TO ......SAY ON THIS ...........
SUBJECT:

PLEASE people, plan YOUR vacation HOWEVER you CHOOSE to CUZ I know I will!!

We are a VERY HAPPY (So Cal local) DVC FAMILY!!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
LET ME REPEAT THIS ........ ONCE.......... AGAIN FOR THOSE OF YOU...........
WHO COULD NOT.......... HEAR...........WHAT I HAD ....... TO ......SAY ON THIS ...........
SUBJECT:

PLEASE people, plan YOUR vacation HOWEVER you CHOOSE to CUZ I know I will!!

We are a VERY HAPPY (So Cal local) DVC FAMILY!!
What exactly are you screaming about? No one characterized you as anything but a "happy SoCal family." What is the problem?
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Old 08-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Personally, the restrictions on the contracts when buying via resale don't bother me in the least. I bought into DVC to use at DVC resorts. If I want to go any where else, I pay cash. Bought our BCV 250 point contract via resale and have no regrets! I'm now looking at adding on via resale. $150 per point is outrageous if you ask me.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

Before calling it awesome, let's look at the numbers. On a Saturday night during Magic Season, you'd pay 29 points for a MK view studio at BLT. A lagoon view room at Poly would cost you 95 points for that very same night.
Agreed, but BLT certainly not the poly. Bad use of points, for sure. Making wife happier, also for sure

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasia79 View Post
Agreed, but BLT certainly not the poly. Bad use of points, for sure. Making wife happier, also for sure

Right. but on the conservative side, let's say you rent out your points using a broker for $11 per point. Do you really think you can't get that same Poly room for less than $1045 per night?

Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Right. but on the conservative side, let's say you rent out your points using a broker for $11 per point. Do you really think you can't get that same Poly room for less than $1045 per night?
I was just saying I didn't know you could do that, sorry.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #29
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Moderator here...lets please remember that part of owning DVC allows for options other than DVC resorts and while sharing ones opinion on the value to you for those options can certainly help a new buyer, please be sure it is done in a respectful way and not with "it's wrong to even consider it" tone.

We all value different aspects of DVC and buy for the aspects that suit our own needs.

Now you may return to the discussion at hand.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
But, not everyone wants to get into renting points. It's a risk, regardless of how much it can save for those options. I know personally I am not interested in ever doing that so for me, it would not be an alternative.

I do agree, though, that those options are pretty steep and a cash discount would probably be a much cheaper option.

Last edited by Sandisw; 08-04-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: